Mobile phone at aged 9?

Comments

• meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My daughter spends hours drawing and cutting and sticking things, making cards, doing homework, listening to music on her laptop whilst holding text conversations with her mates by text and on MSN. But then she's female, so multitasking is second nature !

We also have a bedroom full of "proper" toys that have only ever been played with once or twice.
  • emsywoo123
    emsywoo123 Posts: 5,440 Forumite
    19lottie82 wrote: »
    I think the oldest iphone model that you can buy new (3gs), will cost you about 5- 6 times as much as that I'm afraid.

Completely incorrect.
  • I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you, including emsywoo - no, an 8-year old doesn't need an Iphone.

But lets say its the old £60 model. Are you saying that you will never pay £60 for a toy for your son? Because he wants it/you want to buy it for him? Or never let anyone else buy him a £60 toy? He won't need it, it won't be necessary, but he might like it anyway?

Just asking.

I wouldnt spend that much on my son as i cannot afford it and to be honest, as some have said with phones, they end up being tossed aside and they hardly get used anyway, so why bother.

I have said that i wouldnt want loads spent on him by others either because he doesnt need much, he is a year old at the moment but i guess the amount you spend does go up as they get older but within a budget.

Im not being "angry" in the slightest, im just putting my two pence worth in about whether a young child should have a phone.

I really dont care if people dont agree with me, i have an opinion and this is it.
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    19lottie82 wrote: »
    I think the oldest iphone model that you can buy new (3gs), will cost you about 5- 6 times as much as that I'm afraid.

thanks, I've no idea about the cost of them as its never going to happen in our household ;). I was just using it as an example though, loads of "proper" toys aren't a necessity either, but folk can easily spend £250 on their young kids at christmas time for example, and lots of people think theres absolutely nothing wrong with that. Whats the difference really?
  • emsywoo123
    emsywoo123 Posts: 5,440 Forumite
    I wouldnt spend that much on my son as i cannot afford it and to be honest, as some have said with phones, they end up being tossed aside and they hardly get used anyway, so why bother. Not the case in our house

I have said that i wouldnt want loads spent on him by others either because he doesnt need much, he is a year old at the moment but i guess the amount you spend does go up as they get older but within a budget. I agree

Im not being "angry" in the slightest, im just putting my two pence worth in about whether a young child should have a phone.

I really dont care if people dont agree with me, i have an opinion and this is it.

There are ways of putting things though.....
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    I wouldnt spend that much on my son as i cannot afford it and to be honest, as some have said with phones, they end up being tossed aside and they hardly get used anyway, so why bother.

But you are basing your opinions on your child, not emsys. Emsy probably can afford it, her child may well use the phone and not toss it aside like your child.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite

I have said that i wouldnt want loads spent on him by others either because he doesnt need much, he is a year old at the moment but i guess the amount you spend does go up as they get older but within a budget.

From experience, (my kids are 11 and 25) i think you'll find your opinions will change as your son grows up. Babies aged 1 don't need much, older kids don't need phones, but times change, very quickly, as you'll soon discover.
  • Lady_Tara
    Lady_Tara Posts: 137 Forumite
    babymoo wrote: »

I also think that an 8 year old being home alone for 20 mins in a morning before having the responsibility of locking up the house and walking to school is horrendous. Sorry but what would happen if there was a fire or something in those 20 mins, whilst he may be a responsible kid locking up and walking to school, an adults rationale would go out of the window if there was a fire let alone an 8 year olds.

Of course I did a full what-if scenario, but at the time we lived in a lovely small cul-de-sac where we knew all the neighbours (it was brand new so we'd all moved in at the same time), and all the children played together. Those houses had friends I trusted that if he ever needed any help, he could go/shout over to them.

Everyone "parents" differently. I have made my choices and so far have not regretted any of them, whether people think they are right or wrong, I have tried to be the best mother I can.

Anyway OP, back to you :D
    "Adoption Loss is the only trauma in the world where the victims are expected by the whole of society to be grateful" - The Reverend Keith C. Griffith, MBE
  • babymoo
    babymoo Posts: 3,187 Forumite
    emsywoo123 wrote: »
    Because?.....

Because she is still a vulnerable child, not an adult. What on earth would you do if she was mugged or something equally horrific, having any kind of expensive mobile phone or indeed any mobile phone at that age makes a child even more vulnerable as far as I am concerned.

Obviuosly you know your child and know wether they can cope with this responsibility, it just saddens me that children grow up too quickly these days and I don't think that some parents help matters.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure