Does anyone here have an ideological objection to Solar?

Comments

• Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 2 December 2012 at 11:18PM
    Cardew wrote: »
    An absolute disgrace that the Government allowed such a scheme to exist.
    I have to agree with that. In fact one reason I was so late installing (Feb 2012) is that my first look at detailed info as to how the scheme worked came from an A Shade Greener stall in our shopping mall; I thought what I was being told was far too good to be true!
    OK then, would you have approved if the FiTs had kept pace with installation deflation a year ago, and that the payments would have been for export only. If so, what level of FiT would you say would be acceptable per kWh exported, or would it depend on the subsidy's source?
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 2 December 2012 at 11:27PM
    thanks for that Z , what size HW tank do you have to avoid summer over heating ?
    cheers James
    Hi

Our system loop is pressurised and glycol filled. Pressurised systems boil at much higher temperatures than at standard pressure, glycol is an antifreeze but also raises the boiling point of water - you'll find that a professionally designed & installed decent quality pressure system will not require a heat dump and will simply cut-out when the H/W cylinder reaches it's preset point, then enter a stagnation mode, where the glycol thickens - at this point the system will not cut-in again until the next day - talk of bubbles, boiling steam etc seem to be made by either those with unpressurised systems or without an understanding of pressurised boiling points ...

In stagnation, the temperature of the fluid in the manifold of an ET panel (or flat plate) within a pressurised system will continue to rise to a point where equilibrium is reached between the solar heat gain and panel heatloss, this would likely be somewhere in excess of 160C ....

As for the size of the cylinder, this must really be sized to your own level of usage and what you want to achieve, ie maximising the volume of HW available in the summer months (large cylinder), or extending the period which the system can provide all HW without resorting to alternative energy sources (smaller cylinder) ... but with a 6sqm system you'll probably really be looking at a minimum of 250l, possibly going up to somewhere around 350l to 400l .... an installer should provide a detailed solution to what your particular requirements are and which will suit orientation etc .... What you also need to remember is that a ST system would typically be setup to store water at a much higher maximum than a normal gas heated cylinder (thermostatic mixing to reduce temperature to household), therefore you would likely have far more useable hot water than you currently have ....

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 3 December 2012 at 1:36AM
    I have to agree with that. In fact one reason I was so late installing (Feb 2012) is that my first look at detailed info as to how the scheme worked came from an A Shade Greener stall in our shopping mall; I thought what I was being told was far too good to be true!
    OK then, would you have approved if the FiTs had kept pace with installation deflation a year ago, and that the payments would have been for export only. If so, what level of FiT would you say would be acceptable per kWh exported, or would it depend on the subsidy's source?

So glad you asked!

Well my position – see all my other posts – is that to subsidise tiny sub 4kWp PV arrays on roofs of houses dotted all over UK is a nonsense.

It is even more of a nonsense to pay this subsidy(FIT) to householders to generate electricity, and then allow them to use, in theory,all this electricity in their houses and export nothing.

This FIT subsidy is not paid by the Treasury from money raised by general taxation, but as a direct levy on electricity bills. This means that even the poorest in the land have to pay this levy, and of course most people cannot have a PV system because they live in flats, don’t own a house, or have unsuitable roofs(structure, orientation, shading etc). Given that you have to be a house owner and can afford £x thousands –(or let the RAR mob profit from your house) it is not surprising that George Monboit(the GreenGuru) called it a scheme to transfer money from the poor to the well-off!

However if the Government have a treaty commitments to produce xxxMW from PV, then it would make sense to produce that electricity as cheaply as possible and ensure that as much of that electricity as possible is exported to the Grid.

This would entail ‘solar farms’ – preferably in the SouthWest – where the economies of scale with thousands of panels are obvious – and all electricity exported.

Indeed there were lots of plans for these solar farms; which would have been financially viable even with a much lower subsidy(FIT)for large scale production. However the Government saw fit to savagely cut this lower FIT for these systems and yet kept the FIT high on the inefficient roof mounted panels dotted all over UK. Yet allowed firms like A Shade Greener with a huge MW output to get the very highest FIT rate.

The farms could have been situated on scrubland, brownfield sites or panels mounted on frames where cattle etc could graze underneath(as is happening with some solar farms)

In every way solar farms would have been preferable to the present scheme:

More PV panels deployed for a lower subsidy(cost) to electricity consumers.

All electricity exported to grid.

Lower maintenance costs etc

You will also see in my posts, that there has never been any criticism of people taking advantage of the lucrative FIT scheme(or indeed the RAR firms for doing the same). However I do find the disingenuous arguments of some seeking to defend their rooftop installations rather amusing.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    So glad you asked!

Well my position – see all my other posts – is that to subsidise tiny sub 4kWp PV arrays on roofs of houses dotted all over UK is a nonsense.

It is even more of a nonsense to pay this subsidy(FIT) to householders to generate electricity, and then allow them to use, in theory,all this electricity in their houses and export nothing.

You keep saying this, but you’ve never been able to support your arguments. Since the subsidy is paid on generation, location and suitability is fully taken into account. Consuming generating units instead of importing units has exactly the same effect on the grid as exporting units, then re-importing, as Myself (and Zeupater) have explained numerous times.

This FIT subsidy is not paid by the Treasury from money raised by general taxation, but as a direct levy on electricity bills. This means that even the poorest in the land have to pay this levy, and of course most people cannot have a PV system because they live in flats, don’t own a house, or have unsuitable roofs(structure, orientation, shading etc). Given that you have to be a house owner and can afford £x thousands –(or let the RAR mob profit from your house) it is not surprising that George Monboit(the GreenGuru) called it a scheme to transfer money from the poor to the well-off!

Your obsession over whether or not this is a tax is pointless. It’s paid via money collected from all households. The subsidy supports energy generation and evolving energy sources, so it seems entirely appropriate that it is funded from energy bills, rather than place it somewhere else. The premise of ‘polluter pays’ applies here. Also, by ‘hiding’ energy costs elsewhere (such as with nuclear) artificially reduces energy prices, making it harder for alternatives to compete. What are the benefits of hiding this subsidy?

All subsidies will benefit a minority, but don’t forget FITs also includes other schemes (wind, hydro, CHP etc). Costs have fallen and more can now take part in these schemes, also LA’s and Social Housing organisations have taken part. As you are aware George Monbiot revised his comments on FITs money being moved from the poor to the rich, over 2 years ago.
    However if the Government have a treaty commitments to produce xxxMW from PV, then it would make sense to produce that electricity as cheaply as possible and ensure that as much of that electricity as possible is exported to the Grid.

This would entail ‘solar farms’ – preferably in the SouthWest – where the economies of scale with thousands of panels are obvious – and all electricity exported.

Why the cheap shot on treaty commitments? I thought you said you liked PV yesterday. The government has to work with low and zero CO2 technology because we are facing a massive (and massively expensive) problem, so why exclude any partial solutions?

As I’ve asked many, many times - Support your claims? There are little to no efficiencies of scale. Economies of scale will enable install costs perhaps 30% less, but connection fees and annual running costs (particularly land, insurance and security) will swallow most / all of this up. Regarding export, once again, PV farm to grid to house, or house consumption at source, they are the same. Same panels, generation, grid, end users and consumption. Net effect on the grid is the same.

Have you also considered that as FITs rates fall, we will still have to pay for all PV farm generation, but we’ll gain the full benefits of domestic generation whilst only paying for the exported element?
    Indeed there were lots of plans for these solar farms; which would have been financially viable even with a much lower subsidy(FIT)for large scale production. However the Government saw fit to savagely cut this lower FIT for these systems and yet kept the FIT high on the inefficient roof mounted panels dotted all over UK. Yet allowed firms like A Shade Greener with a huge MW output to get the very highest FIT rate.

Pointless hindsight and hypothetical assumptions. Totally ignoring the fact that domestic PV has greater long-term subsidy free viability, than farm PV – total costs are similar, but the revenue stream of domestic is a combination of wholesale and retail, whilst PV farms have to make a profit on wholesale prices only (and after tax).
    The farms could have been situated on scrubland, brownfield sites or panels mounted on frames where cattle etc could graze underneath(as is happening with some solar farms)

In every way solar farms would have been preferable to the present scheme:

More PV panels deployed for a lower subsidy(cost) to electricity consumers.

All electricity exported to grid.

Lower maintenance costs etc

Why on earth would you place a PV farm on a brownfield site? In doing that you have completely removed the potential use of that brownfield site? Better to use it for commercial or domestic use, then slap some panels on the roof.

Lower subsidy cost is short-term thinking, long-term viability is crucial, and directing funds into households and thereby involving the public in renewables is crucial. We are facing a massive problem, the IPCC are currently reviewing their 2007 climate change predictions. Their claims were scary, but have already been found to understate the problem. So we need public acceptance of both the technology, and the need to deploy it.

Read some reports on PV deployment, hopefully then you’ll be better informed on the positive and negatives of each type of deployment. For instance, have you considered the effect that rolling clouds (the UK has a lot!) have on PV farms with concentrated panels. Generation and supply will vary dramatically, whereas with distributed domestic PV it is much flatter as panels are spread over a larger area, balancing out variations.
    You will also see in my posts, that there has never been any criticism of people taking advantage of the lucrative FIT scheme(or indeed the RAR firms for doing the same). However I do find the disingenuous arguments of some seeking to defend their rooftop installations rather amusing.

The arguments are not disingenuous, they simply try to bring balance to your claims. Alternatively, you could carry out more research and supply reference to your claims.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Cardew wrote: »
    Indeed from your wide experience of a single ASHP system, you felt qualified to comment several times on the difficiencies of the Nibe heat pump - a totally different system to yours.

In any case this is an internet forum - not some cosy self - congratulatory club - and differing views and opinions are allowed!

Errr... Over time I have made it clear I have experience of many systems including certain Nibe ASHPs. Indeed I have more than one system myself.

Also I have successfully challenged all your preconcieved nonsense and pointless financial comparisons regularly... Which I notice you never respond to...

It's not this but other forums where you get grumpy old men sitting on mains gas preaching to people not on the grid what to do and rubbish all the alternatives.

Christ know why you go on about the FIT which is a minnow in the real world. Surely what is of more concearn is the eye watering taxes I and all the other haed working folk have to pay for the multitude of benefits...
  • Cardew
    jeepjunkie wrote: »

Also I have successfully challenged all your preconcieved nonsense and pointless financial comparisons regularly... Which I notice you never respond to...

When?

Examples please?
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Sticking my neck out here!

But I’ve been pondering the RaR situation this morning. And to be fair, got to put my hands up and admit I’ve tended to look upon them as the ‘bad guys’. But, playing devil’s advocate, let’s look at the situation again.

Firstly have they done anything wrong, illegal or immoral. Well, unlike some forms of tax avoidance, they haven’t tried to find loopholes, or misunderstandings. They’ve simply operated openly within a scheme.

Secondly, have they cost us anything. Well, they get paid the same amount for generation as everyone else. Operating on a commercial scale, I’m sure we could have paid them less, but this issue was addressed when it grew large (ok too large), before then, such schemes were even celebrated in the press. I remember Working Lunch running a positive report on such companies for getting the domestic PV ball rolling.

Thirdly, distribution of monies, this is probably the biggie, however, since FITs is supposed to address installation costs with a reasonable return, then their crime was to benefit from the govt’s slow response to falling prices. Should also be noted that income is distributed wider with RaR’s as households benefit from leccy savings, and the exchequer from tax receipts, though I suspect the tax issue may be small as these companies are usually quite good at minimising profits.

Fourthly, distribution of installs, those having RaR installs are by definition less likely to have the funds or access to funds than those paying for their install, it’s probably fair therefore to say that installs have gone up on lower income/savings properties (in the same way as LA and Social Housing Association installs).

Lastly, property values, mortgage availability and re-sale, another biggie that has garnered much press attention. But the growing acceptance of PV seems to be steadily negating this issue, and rising energy bills will only improve this situation over time.

So, ‘Spawn of the Devil’, or just ‘coulda, shoulda, woulda’ with hindsight?

Personally, I think, this 'coulda' been handled much better, but a useful learning exercise, and a lot of installs (and involvement) shifted into the lower income market.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Cardew wrote: »
    When?

Examples please?

I think this is what you are looking for...

http://secondlife.com/

:p
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    ... This would entail ‘solar farms’ – preferably in the SouthWest – where the economies of scale with thousands of panels are obvious – and all electricity exported ......
    Hi All

I thought that this particular point had been discussed in detail ages ago .... I seem to remember calculating that the cost of upgrading the national grid links to the SouthWest in order to concentrate pv generation in the highest insolation area within the country would cause the solution to be less cost effective than the energy efficiency gain from the geographic location would provide, perhaps this point has been overlooked ....

If we are to have (/need to have) fields of panels then place them close to point of use, ie next to centres of population, therefore reducing distribution losses, levelising the overall effect of regional weather variations and just as importantly, reducing the need for significant infrastructure modifications .....

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Cardew
    edited 3 December 2012 at 4:50PM
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi All

I thought that this particular point had been discussed in detail ages ago .... I seem to remember calculating that the cost of upgrading the national grid links to the SouthWest in order to concentrate pv generation in the highest insolation area within the country would cause the solution to be less cost effective than the energy efficiency gain from the geographic location would provide, perhaps this point has been overlooked ....

If we are to have (/need to have) fields of panels then place them close to point of use, ie next to centres of population, therefore reducing distribution losses, levelising the overall effect of regional weather variations and just as importantly, reducing the need for significant infrastructure modifications .....

HTH
    Z

Indeed it had been discussed, but my post was a reply to post #52 who asked the question.

It is pertinent to point out that some of us follow the discussions from the beginning, other come in later and haven't(presumably) read other threads where the subject is discussed.

I am happy to concede my case being modified to having Solar Farms close to the 'point of use'* as it doesn't detract from the thrust of my argument.

* Personally I don't believe 'distribution losses' is a significant factor; we get huge amounts of electricity fed to the Grid from France via the interconnector arriving in Kent. - and hydro generation in the Scottish highlands.

My gut feeling is the significantly higher output from the South West will more than compensate for any transmission losses.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure