Who's house?

My dad was killed back in December and he did'nt have a will.

He had lived in a small terraced house that now turns out my mums aunt still owns. My mum told me that back in the late 70's that she, my dad and her aunt went to a solicitors in town and had the house transferred from the aunt to her and my dads names.

Land Registry still have the house listed in the aunts name and the building where the solicitors was does'nt exist anymore and mum can't recall the name. The aunt died in 2005 and nothing was mentioned about the property and dad had'nt received any paperwork about the house being part of her estate. I'm sure my mums cousin would've contacted dad if it was.

Dad had lived in the house for over 20 years and virtually rebuilt it. I have bills from all the work he paid for to be carried out.

The property has remained empty since December and we've paid all the bills and continue doing so.

What should we do as it seems to be a very confusing situation. I can't afford a solicitor at the moment and just would like some idea what to do next.

Thanks and I hope I have'nt confused you too much.

Comments

• deborah64
    deborah64 Posts: 323 Forumite
    I didn't want to read and run, I can't help with your problem , just wanted to say sorry for your loss xx
  • k66yla
    k66yla Posts: 351
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Anyone have any idea where I would find out where house deeds would be held(bank/solicitors?) and also where a copy of the 'aunts' will would be stored, would that be a Probate office?
  • I think you need to go to see a solicitor to be quite honest. The CAB has access to some free solicitors if you dont have the means to afford one yourself. The deeds could be anywhere,at a solicitors or at a bank etc. I would ask at all the banks etc where your Dad had an account and also make sure they are not in the house.
    I would ask the Probate office in your town about how to get hold of a copy of your aunts will. good luck with that.
  • joerugby
    joerugby Posts: 1,180
    Forumite
    I would start by trying to identify the name and address of the firm of solicitors in town who you think carried out the transfer of ownership of the house. Then approach the law society and ask them if they know what happened to the firm and its records.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,539
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    ASk the probate registry for a copy of aunt's estate?
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • k66yla
    Forumite
    dragging up this old thread as still no luck regarding the property. Have contacted the law society but they can't find a listing. Was then transferred to another section who deal with previous solicitors but no information on the system. Absolutely no idea how to resolve this!
  • G6JNS
    G6JNS Posts: 563 Forumite
    k66yla wrote: »
    dragging up this old thread as still no luck regarding the property. Have contacted the law society but they can't find a listing. Was then transferred to another section who deal with previous solicitors but no information on the system. Absolutely no idea how to resolve this!
    Have you look for a grant of probate for your aunt's estate? In the absence of any proof to the contrary the house belongs to whoever the Land Registry entry says. It seems you have little chance of claiming anything. Stop paying the bills as it is not your concern.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It seems to be that you need to begin with the death of your aunt. Who dealt with her estate? Did she leave a will? Did she have any children for instance?
  • k66yla
    Forumite
    The property was'nt listed in her will though as previously mentioned her name is still on the Land Registry system. My mum is still alive and is 100% sure the property was signed over to her and my dad back in the late 70's. I'm guessing the solicitors did'nt do there job properly hence this confusion. My dad/mum virtually rebuilt the property as it was derelict when given to them, probably why it was given to them.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    Local library for old papers/archives to try and find the name of the solicitors

adverse possession claim(no idea if that is possible but an angle to look at)
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/adverse-possession-of-registered-land/practice-guide-4-adverse-possession-of-registered-land

If using the place just carry on while sorting it out.
    If not review to you keep paying for the place or maybe look at letting it out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure