IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

POPLA Decisions

Comments

• bergkamp
    bergkamp Posts: 356 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Decision

Successful

Assessor Name

Daniel Kelley

Assessor summary of operator case

The operator’s case is that the appellant remained on site for longer than permitted.

Assessor summary of your case

The appellant’s case is that they were a genuine user of the facilities on the day in question. The appellant advises they supplied the operator with receipts as the operator allows ‘Genuine customers’ to have the Parking Charge Notice’s (PCN) cancelled. The appellant advises the signage on site does no advise customer of this secret clause. The appellant has requested to see the contract between the landowner and the operator, to see the 'discretionary criteria'. The appellant has provided examples of PCN’s that have been cancelled by the operator.

Assessor supporting rational for decision

After reviewing the evidence provided by both parties, I am not satisfied that the driver of the vehicle has been identified. The operator is therefore pursuing the registered keeper of the vehicle in this instance. For the operator to transfer liability for unpaid parking charges from the driver of the vehicle to the registered keeper of the vehicle, the regulations laid out in the Protection of Freedoms Act (PoFA) 2012 must be adhered to. The operator has provided a copy of the Notice to Keeper sent. As the driver of the vehicle has not been identified, the Notice to Keeper will need to comply with section 9 of PoFA 2012. Having reviewed the evidence provided by the operator, I am satisfied that the Notice to Keeper has complied with the requirements of PoFA 2012. Therefore, I am satisfied that the operator can transfer the liability for the unpaid parking charge to the registered keeper of the vehicle. The operator has provided photographic evidence of the signage located around the site in question. The signage states, “Parking limited to 1 ½ hours…Failure to comply with the following will result in a Parking Charge of £70”. The car park in question is monitored by Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) cameras. The operator has provided photographic evidence of the appellant’s vehicle entering the site at 14:04 and exiting the site at 15:45. The images captured by the ANPR cameras confirm that the appellant remained on site for a total of one hour and 41 minutes. The operator has issued the PCN as the appellant remained on site for longer than permitted. The appellant in their statement has raised a number of grounds for appeal however; I will concentrate my report on landowner authority. In terms of POPLA appeals, the burden of proof belongs with the operator to demonstrate it has issued the PCN correctly.
    The operator in this case has not provided me with either a contract with the landowner or a witness statement. I am therefore unable to confirm that the operator has the authority to issue PCN’s on this site. As such, I cannot confirm that the PCN was issued correctly. Accordingly, I must allow the appeal.
    This decision was supposed to be based on the genuine shopper hidden clause....

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5599997
  • devonlad
    devonlad Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I won mine against premier park today !!!!
    Thanks to you all.
    Tempted to call into their office now and tell them a thing or two
    The word about the scammers is spreading like marmite here in the westcountry.
    We workers all love it and the ppc hate it :rotfl:
  • devonlad
    Mine didn't even get reviewed by the poplar team. It just states pp withdrawn the claim
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    devonlad wrote: »
    I won mine against premier park today !!!!
    Thanks to you all.
    Tempted to call into their office now and tell them a thing or two

Well done.

No point to go to their offices, you will probably find monkeys sitting around.
  • devonlad
    But I could tease them with a banana :)
  • Computersaysno
    Computersaysno Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Mine didn't even get reviewed by the poplar team. It just states pp withdrawn the claim

Because if the ppc knows it's going to lose, the smart ones withdraw the claim and popla doesn't get paid anything.
  • devonlad
    Because if the ppc knows it's going to lose, the smart ones withdraw the claim and popla doesn't get paid anything.

Oh that's a shame so they don't get to pay £28.
    Does it also mean that they saw my appeal to popla if so, is that fair because that seems wrong. They had my first appeal which they rejected. They can pick and choose what they think is a good chance for them to win
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Does it also mean that they saw my appeal to popla if so, is that fair because that seems wrong. They had my first appeal which they rejected. They can pick and choose what they think is a good chance for them to win

It seems the scammers have finally caught on that they will lose a well researched appeal and so withdraw and tell PoPLA they don't want to proceed.

PoPLA are not happy with this situation because they do all the up front work but don't get paid. Oh dear, how sad, never mind. There is talk however that they want to change this so they still get some money.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post

You are talking about muppet world here ?

The PPC rejected your appeal because it's all part of the scam
    They probably never read it.

POPLA of course showed them your appeal and the PPC realised they had lost.

Money wise, there are two losers and one winner

PPC - LOSER
    POPLA - LOSER
    YOU - WINNER :T
  • devonlad
    Still smiling down here. Thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure