'Do you have a joint bank account?' poll discussion

Former_MSE_Lee
Former_MSE_Lee Posts: 343 Forumite
edited 4 July 2011 at 10:32AM in MoneySaving polls
Poll started 4 July 2011, click here to vote

Single or married – do you have a joint bank account?

Are all your finances separate, or do you have a joint account with a partner or flatmate (including parents / siblings)?

Which of these is nearest to your situation?

I’m married

No joint bank account
Yes for bills/shared expenditure but separate accounts for everything else
Joint bank account for everything

I’m co-habiting with partner
No joint bank account
Yes for bills/shared expenditure but separate accounts for everything else
Yes. Joint bank account for everything

I’m single / don’t live with partner

No joint bank account
Yes with PARTNER/FAMILY for bills/shared expenditure but separate accounts for everything else
Yes. Joint bank account with PARTNER/FAMILY for everything.

Comments

• We have a joint one but only use it on holidays; None of the three options give the answer to that!
    Feb 2012 - onwards MF achieved
    September 2016 - Back into clearing a mortgage - Was due to be paid off in 32 years in March 2047 -
    April 2018 down to 28.00 months vs 30.04 months at normal payment.
    Predicted mortgage clearing 03/2047 - now looking at 02/2045

Aims: 1) To pay off mortgage within 20 years - 2037
  • Maggie_Bob
    Maggie_Bob Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hubby and I have our personal accounts that our wages etc come in to, then we each pay a set amount in to a joint account, which all bills/direct debits are set to come from.
    In a better financial position than ever before (thank you MSE!). Moved back to Scotland and now trying to keep debt-free!
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    We have a joint one but only use it on holidays; None of the three options give the answer to that!

Yes there is the second option is for "bills / shared expenditure" your holiday is shared expenditure :)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • My husband and I have always had a joint current account and savings account. We have separate ISA's just because we have to! I can't understand being married to someone and not having a joint account ... everything is shared anyway. Some people say that they put in equal amounts for household expenditure then keep the rest individually- so that would mean very often one person in the marriage is richer than the other!! Doesn't sound very equal to me...
    I am the breadwinner by the way! :)
  • Bobl
    Bobl Posts: 695 Forumite
    Married.

All of our accounts are joint, makes it much easier to track our money and either of us can move money around online if we need to.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine!
  • madpixie
    madpixie Posts: 14 Forumite
    I'm married and we both have separate accounts and pay into a joint account each week/month (he gets paid weekly).

I also have other accounts that are in my name only and I have internet access to all the accounts, even his. I take care of all the money, transfers, bills, etc. I know what's happening with our money at all times. Call me a control freak but he's not bothered about money, or savings, etc, so he leaves it all to me.
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm married have joint bank account for joint expenditure and separate accounts for OH wages and my pension..
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    bettybrown wrote: »
    My husband and I have always had a joint current account and savings account. We have separate ISA's just because we have to! I can't understand being married to someone and not having a joint account ... everything is shared anyway. Some people say that they put in equal amounts for household expenditure then keep the rest individually- so that would mean very often one person in the marriage is richer than the other!! Doesn't sound very equal to me...
    I am the breadwinner by the way! :)

I wholeheartedly agree with this. We got married last June and have a joint current account, and no other current accounts. We have various savings accounts, one in joint names and the rest in sole names (e.g. ISAs) because they are products that you can only have in sole names.

I discovered last year the value of joint accounts. Three weeks before we got married, hubby was hospitalised out of the blue with an awful infection. He was really ill and I was terrified something would happen to him. At that point we had separate accounts and he had more money than I did as I'd been clearing my accounts out paying wedding bills. I had an awful panic that if the worst happened I'd have access to very little money and many more wedding bills were soon due!

Our joint savings account pays a puny interest rate, but we keep an emergency fund in there in case something happens and one of us has a delay in gaining access to the other's savings accounts. We also keep a slush fund in the joint current account.

BUT, having gone to joint accounts, I have a big problem with Paypal now which has really annoyed me.

Paypal insist that you have a valid bank account linked with your Paypal account. I tried to change my bank account on my Paypal account to the joint account, but my husband had already linked it to his Paypal account. Paypal have a rule that a bank account can only be linked to one Paypal account, not two. Because I have no other bank account that I can link to Paypal, I can't verify my Paypal account. I will shortly reach the limit for how much you can spend through Paypal without being verified and will therefore have to stop using my Paypal account.

The only possible solution is for hubby to tell me his Paypal password so I can use his account. Technically that would mean him breaching Paypal rules by giving out his login details.

If you google 'paypal joint account' you find lots of people who have joint accounts with the same frustration that they and their partners can no longer have two Paypal accounts. It's a ludicrous situation.
  • trying_2_b_good
    trying_2_b_good Posts: 776 Forumite
    edited 4 July 2011 at 1:01PM
    We have a joint account for our bills and joint expenditure, which we put about half of our monthly wage in. Then, out of my account, I can pay for my beauty spends, haircuts etc which OH doesn't spend money on. I'm also still paying for my car, which he doesn't use. If we only had a joint account, he'd be paying for half of my car which isn't fair as he's only just finished paying off his!

At the minute we earn about the same, only around £100 different - so we have the same amount of cash to play around with. If we have children and I'm on maternity leave or have to reduce my hours, or he was made redundant - I'm sure we'd re-evaluate this.

Works for us. Can't understand why couples wouldn't have any joint accounts if living together. While I can understand why people might only have joint accounts, it doesn't suit our currecnt situation.
    Virtual Sealed Pot Challenge #148 - £59.93
    Crazy Clothes Challenge # 103 - £84/£200 £30 Coat/£12 shirt/£23 jeans/£6 t-shirt/£13 2 x tops
    Shoes £79/£100: Cowboy boots, canvas pumps, re-heal boots/ £25 safari shoes
  • claire72
    claire72 Posts: 6 Forumite
    We have a joint account that our wages go into and our expenditure goes out of but as part of our budget we have spending money paid into our own accounts. It means we don't have any of those 'what did you spend that on ...' conversations and my husband thinks its better when we get gifts or something we don't have to hide it.
    It works really well for us.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport