Running costs Dyson hot/cold fan

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Manners please! It's Sir James to you...
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • whitesatin
    whitesatin Posts: 2,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    My daughter has a brilliant Dyson floor cleaner. Next on my list.
  • MrsPBikerChick
    MrsPBikerChick Posts: 77 Forumite
    edited 27 May 2013 at 10:58AM
    Yes they're expensive to buy straight off, but they're incredibly efficient - way more so than a £10 Argos fan heater (which I have owned and gotten rid of because it was rubbish) - and so don't need to be on for anything like the same length of time. I found the one were borrowed to actually be more efficient than our central heating, but i think that says more about our cr*ppy boiler!

If you need to have the Argos heater on for 2hrs to heat a room but the Dyson one for only 30 mins the actual costs quickly even up. Plus you would end up spending £20 with Argos for a heater and a separate fan (OP said they would use both functions) and I would expect a £250+ Dyson appliance to last considerably longer and have a considerably better guarantee. It's not just the initial purchase price you should consider. One of these is currently on my birthday Wishlist :)

Edit: Whitesatin, we also own a Dyson vacuum which, although ageing a bit, is still the only thing which copes with a husky dog in full moult and the amount of long hair both hubby and I shed as well. I wouldn't buy anything else. And no, I don't work for Dyson!
    I don't like chick flicks, I get grazed knuckles doing my own car repairs and I ride a massive cruiser motorbike. To many this makes me a bloke in disguise but to my husband this makes me perfect
    :A
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Yes they're expensive to buy straight off, but they're incredibly efficient - way more so than a £10 Argos fan heater (which I have owned and gotten rid of because it was rubbish) - and so don't need to be on for anything like the same length of time. I found the one were borrowed to actually be more efficient than our central heating, but i think that says more about our cr*ppy boiler!

May it provide a more directed jet of air - and stir a room better than a £20 fan-heater - yes.
    Will it produce more heat per unit of electricity - no.
    If you can prove it does significantly, I will pay £1000 to buy it from you.
    How did you measure the efficiency?
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,581 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes they're expensive to buy straight off, but they're incredibly efficient - way more so than a £10 Argos fan heater (which I have owned and gotten rid of because it was rubbish)

More than 100% efficient then, which all electrical heating devices are?....:)
    I suspect you meant effective rather than efficient. Would still have to be about 30 times more effective than the Argos special to justify the price. By the way, my £10 fan heater also has a "fan only" mode.
    Of course if you see it as a piece of Sir Dyson's art work you're buying, then that puts things in a different light. ;)

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• DragonQ
    DragonQ Posts: 2,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Nothing is 100% efficient. In the case of a heater, some energy will be "lost" as light (electrical elements) and noise (fan). Heaters do tend to be very efficient on a pure "how much energy is converted to heat" basis, but then it depends what is done with that heat. If it's mainly stuck in a corner of a room it's still wasted energy. If it's distributed effectively then it's more efficient in terms of how useful the energy use is to you.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 27 May 2013 at 8:21PM
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Nothing is 100% efficient. In the case of a heater, some energy will be "lost" as light (electrical elements) and noise (fan).

That is not correct; all electrical heaters are 100% efficient at converting the energy they use into heat.

Ten 100watt bulbs using, say, 1kWh will produce exactly as much heat as any form of electrical heater - including fan heaters - using 1kWh.

Your statement that energy will be 'lost' as light or noise etc contradicts the First Law of Thermodynamics that energy cannot be created or destroyed.
  • sheffield_lad
    sheffield_lad Posts: 1,990 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Why is Sir James Dyson getting a rough deal?

Oh I forgot, we like to knocking anyone who have done well for themselves. Runner up hero, winners (which Dyson is), and we knock them down a peg or two.

Still would not buy that heater though ;)
  • DragonQ
    DragonQ Posts: 2,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Cardew wrote: »
    That is not correct; all electrical heaters are 100% efficient at converting the energy they use into heat.
    Nonsense. Electrical elements emit light, have you never looked inside an electric oven?
    Ten 100watt bulbs using, say, 1kWh will produce exactly as much heat as any form of electrical heater - including fan heaters - using 1kWh.
    Clearly not as some of the energy is emitted as light.
    Your statement that energy will be 'lost' as light or noise etc contradicts the First Law of Thermodynamics that energy cannot be created or destroyed.
    No, your statement violates the law because you are saying that something that emits light is somehow also emitting all the energy it consumes as heat.
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    edited 27 May 2013 at 8:51PM
    Why is Sir James Dyson getting a rough deal?

Oh I forgot, we like to knocking anyone who have done well for themselves. Runner up hero, winners (which Dyson is), and we knock them down a peg or two.

Because the title of the site - if you look up at the top - is moneysavingexpert.com.

It's not 'ThingsThatCostThirtyTimesWhatYouCouldPayAndWorkAboutAsWell.com"

Is the dyson (arguably) an attractive heater - possibly.
    Is it going to save you money - not a hope in hell.

If some of the marketing for it actively does claim it may save you money - without truly massive caveats in as large print - it's a case for the advertising standards agency.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure