Employer hasnt paid my tax rebate!!

Hi im hoping someone can help me here,

I worked from home doing telesales for a hotel company. Last year I was on BR tax for 8 months and when I got a new tax code i was told i would get a tax rebate.

This rebate amount of nearly £800 and was shown on my wage slip but I was never paid to me. I asked my employer for the money but they have ignored and made excuses. I have phoned the tax office and they say there is nothing they can do.

So I was issued a tax rebate on my wage slip but it has not been paid to me. What do I do now? It has been 6 months now and I still have not got my money.

Comments

• YoYoY
    YoYoY Posts: 281 Forumite
    edited 14 September 2012 at 11:27AM
    chel29 wrote: »
    Hi im hoping someone can help me here,

I worked from home doing telesales for a hotel company. Last year I was on BR tax for 8 months and when I got a new tax code i was told i would get a tax rebate.

This rebate amount of nearly £800 and was shown on my wage slip but I was never paid to me. I asked my employer for the money but they have ignored and made excuses. I have phoned the tax office and they say there is nothing they can do.

So I was issued a tax rebate on my wage slip but it has not been paid to me. What do I do now? It has been 6 months now and I still have not got my money.

It doesn't sound like the employer has exactly ignored your request, just that they have not rectified the situation. What were the excuses the employer gave you for not paying you the wages you are entitled to in full and on time?

Why won't the tax office refund the extra tax you paid? Or are they suggesting that you have not overpaid any tax based on the receipts provided to them by the employer?
  • pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Write to the employer giving them 7 days to pay , then issue a county court summons via this site
    https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
  • YoYoY
    Oh dear, looks like the OP decided to log off than respond to the questions I posed. :(

I'm still happy to help, so should you require more help, please don't hesitate to log back on and post responses and I will be more than happy to provide further guidance :)
  • pelirocco
    YoYoY wrote: »
    Oh dear, looks like the OP decided to log off than respond to the questions I posed. :(

I'm still happy to help, so should you require more help, please don't hesitate to log back on and post responses and I will be more than happy to provide further guidance :)

I should very much doubt the OP logged off because of you !
  • pelirocco
    It doesn't sound like the employer has exactly ignored your request, just that they have not rectified the situation. What were the excuses the employer gave you for not paying you the wages you are entitled to in full and on time?

Why won't the tax office refund the extra tax you paid? Or are they suggesting that you have not overpaid any tax based on the receipts provided to them by the employer?

If the employer has submitted the end of year return , and if the amounts submitted have filtered down through the many layers of HMRC , I would expect the figures to show that there has been no overpayment , due to the fact the refund appears to have been dealt with by the employer via their payroll
  • chel29
    chel29 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Hi sorry im back :-) I have got 8 months of wageslips showing BR tax has been paid and I have the wage slip showing my tax refund but this was never paid. I contacted the tax office myself as I was on BR for so long and they changed my tax code and shortly after the tax rebate was issued on my wage slip.
    I have asked my employer many times to pay me this money but they just ignore me. This is from the end of january this year. Please advise me of what I can do because the tax office said something about they cant do anything as I havnt paid any tax :-(
    any help would be much appreciated.
  • pelirocco
    Hi sorry im back :-) I have got 8 months of wageslips showing BR tax has been paid and I have the wage slip showing my tax refund but this was never paid. I contacted the tax office myself as I was on BR for so long and they changed my tax code and shortly after the tax rebate was issued on my wage slip.
    I have asked my employer many times to pay me this money but they just ignore me. This is from the end of january this year. Please advise me of what I can do because the tax office said something about they cant do anything as I havnt paid any tax :-(
    any help would be much appreciated.

First , check the wage slips after the one showing the 'refund' just in case the refund was paid via zero tax for the following weeks

The week showing the refund , did they pay you in that week and how much ..........maybe you could write out here exactly what was printed on the wage slip

If you are still convinced you havent been paid correctly , send them a letter demanding payment in full within 7 days , if they havent responded in that time , issue a moneyclaim online
  • chel29
    chel29 Posts: 24 Forumite

my requests were ignored by my employer but my supervisor (who has since left) emailed me and also told me what date my rebate was due and for how much. the tax office said I havnt paid any tax so they said they cant do anything.
  • YoYoY
    edited 14 September 2012 at 3:50PM
    my requests were ignored by my employer but my supervisor (who has since left) emailed me and also told me what date my rebate was due and for how much. the tax office said I havnt paid any tax so they said they cant do anything.
    Hi chel29, and thanks for coming back.

Could I ask you again please, what were the excuses you referred to in your OP that the employer gave you regarding your request for the wages you are entitled to be paid in full and on time?

I need to try to understand why they have not paid you what you believe you were owed in order to provide you appropriate further advice :)
  • YoYoY
    pelirocco wrote: »
    I should very much doubt the OP logged off because of you !
    I'd like to think that was the case, but the OP has just logged off again :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure