Debt Relief Orders (DRO) - Information & help thread

Comments

• scarlet55 wrote: »
    yep, i'l definately let you know...regarding the phonecalls, either unplug the phone when ur at home or put the answer machine on...try to keep busy and the time will soon pass...by the way i had my expenditure form come back from the CAB 2day and my adviser has actually put down £216 for housekeeping, and bare in mind i live alone....but she has the trigger figures so she must know what she's doing, hope this helps other people who are wondering what to put on their SOAs, i know i was...keep us updated broken spirit, and iff theres anything ur not sure about just ask...iff i dont know the answer there are plenty of experts on here to help you...:):):)

Thanks again scarlet. Was that an increase in your grocery figure? Or has your advisor included all housekeeping costs in that figure? Such as cleaning products, toiletries, pet food, insurance clothing, laundry etc. I know my advisor today bundled all these into the housekeeping bracket & I did get a little confused when he mentioned my housekeeping figure & it was £100 more than I had listed! I kept saying no that's not right it's £xx ammount, I just couldn't get my head around the figures he kept saying! I guess all will make sense when I receive the paperwork, I hope lol.
    I am a Leo...& as such I will defend my "pride" ferociously....you have been warned!
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,380
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    edited 4 April 2011 at 7:43PM
    scarlet55 wrote: »
    ...by the way i had my expenditure form come back from the CAB 2day and my adviser has actually put down £216 for housekeeping, and bare in mind i live alone....but she has the trigger figures so she must know what she's doing,

Sounds like she does - that's well within the trigger figure (updated today I believe!) for a single adult. That's actually 'food & housekeeping' so includes

• Food and milk
    • Cleaning and toiletries
    • Newspapers and magazines
    • Cigarettes, tobacco & sweets
    • Alcohol
    • Laundry and dry cleaning
    • Clothing and footwear
    • Nappies and baby items
    • Pet food
  • kerry2285
    kerry2285 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Hi,

I had my DRO approved on Friday which was a relief!
    I now need to write to my creditor's to inform them of my situation. Are there any template letter's for this or anything I should be putting into the letter?

Also when I went to CAB last tuesday to do the DRO I had called my loan with Lloyds TSB and asked how much I owe and was given £4100 but when the letter confirming this arrived on saturday it stated £4600. I am a bit worried now as the DRO has been approved and I had not given a true amount. Im annoyed with Lloyds too!

Another thing, im very interested to know what happens over the next 12 months or so, does someone contact you to make sure you are not earning too much/status has not changed much etc? And how do they wipe the debt off at the end of the 12-18 months?? It still baffles me to think that I am on my way to being debt free for the first time in 8 years. It also still sounds 'too good to be true' and I feel that something will bite me in the bum or send me a huge bill once the 12-18months are out the way!

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,380
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    kerry2285 wrote: »
    Hi,

I now need to write to my creditor's to inform them of my situation. Are there any template letter's for this or anything I should be putting into the letter?

Also when I went to CAB last tuesday to do the DRO I had called my loan with Lloyds TSB and asked how much I owe and was given £4100 but when the letter confirming this arrived on saturday it stated £4600. I am a bit worried now as the DRO has been approved and I had not given a true amount. Im annoyed with Lloyds too!

Another thing, im very interested to know what happens over the next 12 months or so, does someone contact you to make sure you are not earning too much/status has not changed much etc? And how do they wipe the debt off at the end of the 12-18 months?? It still baffles me to think that I am on my way to being debt free for the first time in 8 years. It also still sounds 'too good to be true' and I feel that something will bite me in the bum or send me a huge bill once the 12-18months are out the way!

In my bureau, we inform the creditors and close the file at this stage. The DRO unit will also inform the creditors within the next week. So you don't need to do anything at this stage.

The LTSB thing could be a problem but see how things develop. It's the amount owing on 'the day of determination' that counts.

There's no routine checking - you are supposed to inform the DRO unit if your situation improves dramatically.

And there is nothing sent to you at the end of the 12-month morotorium.
  • kerry2285
    kerry2285 Posts: 24 Forumite
    fatbelly wrote: »
    In my bureau, we inform the creditors and close the file at this stage. The DRO unit will also inform the creditors within the next week. So you don't need to do anything at this stage.

The LTSB thing could be a problem but see how things develop. It's the amount owing on 'the day of determination' that counts.

There's no routine checking - you are supposed to inform the DRO unit if your situation improves dramatically.

And there is nothing sent to you at the end of the 12-month morotorium.

Thank you for your help. I just do not want to get 6 months down the line things go wrong or they say that I never informed them of something (quite sure I informed them of everything though!)

I am a terrible worrier and I guess I am going to have to learn to relax now I wont have the endless calls and letters!!

My lesson has been well and truely learn't and I am looking forward to handling money better now.

Thank you to everyone on here, I might not have posted much but I have been reading here for a few months. Good luck to all those out there who are thinking of taking this option. :T
  • scarlet55
    scarlet55 Posts: 21,780
    Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Thanks again scarlet. Was that an increase in your grocery figure? Or has your advisor included all housekeeping costs in that figure? Such as cleaning products, toiletries, pet food, insurance clothing, laundry etc. I know my advisor today bundled all these into the housekeeping bracket & I did get a little confused when he mentioned my housekeeping figure & it was £100 more than I had listed! I kept saying no that's not right it's £xx ammount, I just couldn't get my head around the figures he kept saying! I guess all will make sense when I receive the paperwork, I hope lol.
    as fatbelly said, she knows what she's doing and i assume thats for everything...wish it was this time next weekand id know one way or the other if its been approved xx
  • scarlet55
    Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    fatbelly wrote: »
    Sounds like she does - that's well within the trigger figure for a single adult. That's actually 'food & housekeeping' so includes cleaning materials, newspapers & magazines, clothing..
    thanks fatbelly..its great to have experts who really know what they are talking about. :)
  • scarlet55
    Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    kerry2285 wrote: »
    Hi,

:T:T congatulations kerry...mine is being submitted on wednesday so hope i get the same result as you...i hate lloyds, im with them too, luckily my payments are all up to date bar one so hoping not too much interest goes on :beer:
    as fatbelly said, she knows what she's doing and i assume thats for everything...wish it was this time next weekand id know one way or the other if its been approved xx

If I were to receive the forms tomorrow & list all my creditors with up to date ammounts as of this week, what happens if my DRO doesn't get submitted for 7wks? Do you get the option to update your figures prior to the form been submitted? Is that something you've experienced? I want to be sure that in a years time the wolves are not back clawing at the door!!
    I am a Leo...& as such I will defend my "pride" ferociously....you have been warned!

2 more sleeps & counting scarlet..............._party_:j_party_:j_party_xxxxxx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback