Have you tried to reclaim old bill credit?

Comments

• Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,398
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 8 December 2017 at 1:41PM
    Still waiting for Iresa to raise my final bill and refund me my credit. They responded to my (written) complaint quickly enough, and said the included opening bill from E.ON would be enough evidence to raise it manually, but nothing has changed ten days later.

8 Week deadline for the EO is the new year.

Tick, Tock.

Edit, They paid the refund a couple of days after I made this post. Better late than never I suppose.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • carpy
    carpy Posts: 1,083
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    i had a forgotten about credit balance with GB from when i left them in August.

just this week they contacted me saying it had been missed by them and they were processing a refund.

i complained saying they should have picked this up much sooner and mentioned interest should be paid on it.......and to be fair they agreed to pay 8% on the balance!

so fair play to GB Energy :T:D
  • Goldust
    Goldust Posts: 526
    Forumite
    Anyone else having trouble with British Gas? They're coming across as snakes from my experience so far.

Got told not to cancel the direct debit so I didn't when I switched to Ovo. Switch went through fine and it said on my BG account that I would get refunded 2 weeks after my final bill. That was a couple of months back now and it would appear the BG cancelled the direct debit for some unknown reason.

So the funds are just sat there and twice now I've tried to call and the line conveniently dies or I get cut off once I explain what I'm looking for. Is it really so difficult? Surely as a matter of course they should just sort these things out or send a cheque? Considering they are the biggest energy company, squirreling away money that you owe to former customers doesn't seem a great way of doing business!
  • Hi,
    I changed supplier 30/11/17 but Sainsburys still took DD of £122 each for Dec 17 and Jan 18. I called them and was advised to speak to my bank to arrange an indemnity claim for both payments because they shouldn't have been taken. With these payments included, it left my closing balance in credit of £476.60. Once the 2 x £122 had been refunded, I expected a repayment from Sainsburys of £232.60.
    Someone called from Sainsburys last Monday saying refund cheque was going in the post for £253.61. Then, she's just called back saying that refund didn't take into account January's already refunded £122 so I would now have a bill to repay the £122! I explained that the first person I spoke to knew about the two payments because it was he who tole me how to sort out the indemnity claim for both payments but today's lady is insistent that I now owe £122. I can't see the proper statements online any longer because the account was closed - I can only see a new statement which has been made to look like I do owe the £122.
    I am adamant that they're wrong because I know my initial credit was showing as £476.60 - £244 = £232.60!
    Is there anything at all I can do about this? I genuinely don't feel I owe the £122 but how do I stand a chance against something the size of Sainsburys/British Gas??
    I'd appreciate any advice.
  • Goldust
    Forumite
    Goldust wrote: »
    Anyone else having trouble with British Gas? They're coming across as snakes from my experience so far.

Got told not to cancel the direct debit so I didn't when I switched to Ovo. Switch went through fine and it said on my BG account that I would get refunded 2 weeks after my final bill. That was a couple of months back now and it would appear the BG cancelled the direct debit for some unknown reason.

So the funds are just sat there and twice now I've tried to call and the line conveniently dies or I get cut off once I explain what I'm looking for. Is it really so difficult? Surely as a matter of course they should just sort these things out or send a cheque? Considering they are the biggest energy company, squirreling away money that you owe to former customers doesn't seem a great way of doing business!

Apologies for bumping my own post but as expected I'm still getting the full snake experience from British Gas.

They said they'd cancelled my DD (I deliberately didn't cancel it so they could refund me via this method and that's what it says on their website is their standard process for account credit)

Said they'd send me a cheque the day after I made my last post. Still no cheque and still got all the credit on the account. Don't know what to do next...
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Apologies for bumping my own post but as expected I'm still getting the full snake experience from British Gas.

They said they'd cancelled my DD (I deliberately didn't cancel it so they could refund me via this method and that's what it says on their website is their standard process for account credit)

Said they'd send me a cheque the day after I made my last post. Still no cheque and still got all the credit on the account. Don't know what to do next...

Simple - raise a complaint against BG in writing. Suppliers have to respond to complaints and report complaint numbers to Ofgem.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite

Have you tried callimg British Gas and asking where the cheque they promised you is?

If they give the old "the cheque is in the post" excuse, ask them what the cheque number is ;)
  • molley
    molley Posts: 528
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I switched to Togetherenergy from Greenstar back in November 2017 . I checked my a/c with Greenstar last week and saw I had a credit of £25 .I called them and they said they had not received final readings from Together . Today I called Together and they said the details were entered in to the system on 18/12/2017 so Greenstar should have them .I called Greenstar again and they still claimed they didn't have them and refused to let me speak to a supervisor .Ended up with me telling them I'd complain to OFGEM and putting the phone down. These switches are supposed to go smoothly are they not?
  • Goldust
    Forumite

This sorry saga is still going on for me. Calling up and writing gives no joy and I can't prove I sent the letter as I begrudge spending money to send recorded letters to get MY money back in the modern era of emails and live chat.

Their policy is to pay it back without me requesting (confirmed just now on live chat) via DD or cheque. Not happened despite the account being closed for 8 months now.

Apparently they are doing a BACS transfer for it today. I won't hold my breath!

I suppose I should report them to OFGEM now. Not that BG seem to care but might as well give them some additional paperwork after they kept my money all year!
  • I don't understand why it is so painful to get a credit refunded after a switch. We switched away from Economy Energy back in August, 3 months have passed and I'm still chasing for the refund of over £270.

I asked several times to speak to a manager via the online chat on their website and the response I kept getting from their rep is "They woudn't be able to tell you anything different". That's not the point, if I ask to speak to a manager please just patch me through. I'm guessing the only thing I can do here is speak with the Energy Ombudsman. Anyone had much success taking this route?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback