Flight delay and cancellation compensation, BA ONLY

Options

Comments

• Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sim311 wrote: »
    Hi, i was wondering if someone could help with a little advice? Like many others, me and my family were caught up in the BA fiasco last weekend. I understand the process re cancellation and comphensation based upon previous posts and that consequential loss my not be covered, however would this still be the same where the hotel and hire car was also booked via BA? Obviously as we booked via BA they would be deemed to be aware of the potential loss as a direct result of the breach. Does this not stand us in a better position to claim for car hire and post travel hotel costs? Basically id be looking to recover the cost for the hotel prior to the night of travel (drove from Manchester to Heathrow the night before) as the hotel was only booked conditional upon the flight, while the car hire was only arranged on the basis that we reached our destination. Given the inability to contact BA to rearrange flights we abandoned our holiday and drove home to Manchester...it also didnt help that one of our cases disappeared for 5 days ! Even to this day, we have still been unable to contact BA. The only call was from a courier to ask where we wanted my daughter's case delivered.

Hi Sim311,

It appears that at some time today BA changed their stance on compensation and costs etc.

Some claimants have been getting their claims accepted immediately, without the need to produce receipts etc with bank details being taken and a promise that payment would be in the bank within 5 or 6 days.

I would initially persevere and try to contact them by phone. It may be the quickest and easiest way to get your claim resolved.

If that fails please come back here.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Sylvia_Mahal
    Options
    Hi. I was travelling with a party of 9, 6 Adults and 3 small children. made up of my family, grandchildren and foster child. This was the children's first ever flight and holiday abroad.

We checked into our flight at Heathrow Terminal 5 to Almeria via Madrid at 11.35 on May 27th at about 9,30 after joining a long queue at 8.30. On check in there was no mention of any concerns. We were then on Air side without any information except the boards stating that the gate number would be at a set time, this time kept moving into the future. The time of our flight passed and several hours later the board said Please wait. At about 6pm a piece of paper was given out to say all flights had been cancelled and we were advised to leave the terminal without our luggage with no advice other than to consult the website to rebook our flights or arrange for a refund. We eventually managed to get out having joined a very long queue as they only had one gate open at about 7.30pm

We took the option to go home rather than book in a hotel because we only live 2 hours from Heathrow.

As soon as we arrived home we tried to phone BA and to access the Website which was still not working properly. We tried all day Sunday and eventually decided to book with Iberia the same flights as offered by British Airways at an inflated price, but at least we were able to confirm that we could fly in Tuesday 30th May.

Only four of our party were able to afford to pay for the additional flights so my grandchildren missed out on their holiday and my son decided they had to abort it.

The problem I have is that BA have refunded the cost of the flights for the people who aborted their holiday but they refuse to compensate us for the cost of the flights we purchased from Iberia. They are only offering to refund the cost of our Saturday flights which is half the cost of the additional flights. Therefor we will be out of pocket.

Please can someone advise where we stand. The flight we took on Tuesday 30th was actually a British Airways plane so I think they are just being difficult.

They also refuse to compensate us for the journey back home, because they say we should have obtained a petrol receipt.

Added to this we are still trying to get some of our luggage back.

Please help and can you advise us what we are entitled to.

Thanks

Sylvia
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    See my reply below your original post oin the other general thread.
    Put kettle on, plate of buicuits and fully digest Vauban's guide. Any further questions, come back and ask.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Racer_92
    Options
    Hi there,

I would really appreciate some advice, our flight was cancelled over the bank holiday weekend there is myself, wife and 2 children (3 years & 10 months). I wanted to know what I can claim from BA and if I can also make a claim from my travel insurance.
    I managed to reschedule our flights with BA after hours of trying to get through but it was 3 days later! am I right in thinking there is additional compensation for this?
    Any help would be really appreciated

Many thanks

Alan
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Download Vauban's guide (google) get a brew and settle in for a read. All your questions should be answered there.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Gulpiyuri
    Gulpiyuri Posts: 27 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 June 2017 at 6:58PM
    Options
    Hi there,

I am one of may affected by the British Airways / BA cancellations on Sat 27 May. I was relocated to another flight two days later and I followed their procedure to submit my claim for cancellation compensation through their website.

Surprise, surprise… I got today the attached screenshot as an answer where they refuse my claim…

…I'd like to inform you that your claim’s been refused because BAXXXX on 27 May was cancelled because of operational circumstances outside of our control. Under EU legislation, I’m afraid we’re not liable for a compensation payment in this situation. I'm sorry to disappoint you…

I am really shocked with this and the rest of the attached email. Is this agent aware that British Airways have publicly described the issue as a "technical problem" and not a cyber attack, therefore the airline is responsible for compensation under EU regulation 261/2004? How come the rest of the thousands of passengers affected are getting their compensations?

Obviously this agent doesn´t seem to be of help, so I called BA support line for flight refunds but all the calls are terminated after a recorded message stating that their operators are busy, thus try later (same) or go to the website.

Please could you advise? Also, anyone else in the same situation?

Thanks

open?id=0B0V44MOtH1MORm41cVRhX2RjV1k
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    did you submit from here?https://www.britishairways.com/travel/flightops/public/en_gb?p_faqid=5780 sounds like the response is an error
  • Gulpiyuri
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    did you submit from here?https://www.britishairways.com/travel/flightops/public/en_gb?p_faqid=5780 sounds like the response is an error

Thanks @Caz3121

I did indeed. And actually they approved my expenses for food and train tickets.
  • Gulpiyuri
    Options
    Gulpiyuri wrote: »
    Hi there,

I am one of may affected by the British Airways / BA cancellations on Sat 27 May. I was relocated to another flight two days later and I followed their procedure to submit my claim for cancellation compensation through their website.

Surprise, surprise… I got today the attached screenshot as an answer where they refuse my claim…

…I'd like to inform you that your claim’s been refused because BAXXXX on 27 May was cancelled because of operational circumstances outside of our control. Under EU legislation, I’m afraid we’re not liable for a compensation payment in this situation. I'm sorry to disappoint you…

I am really shocked with this and the rest of the attached email. Is this agent aware that British Airways have publicly described the issue as a "technical problem" and not a cyber attack, therefore the airline is responsible for compensation under EU regulation 261/2004? How come the rest of the thousands of passengers affected are getting their compensations?

Obviously this agent doesn´t seem to be of help, so I called BA support line for flight refunds but all the calls are terminated after a recorded message stating that their operators are busy, thus try later (same) or go to the website.

Please could you advise? Also, anyone else in the same situation?

Thanks

open?id=0B0V44MOtH1MORm41cVRhX2RjV1k

I managed to get a reply from BA via their Twitter account and the whole saga is getting more twisted:

Hi, sorry for our late response. We've refused your claim for EU compensation as we are not the operator. Your flight was operated by Iberia Express. You'll need to make a claim with them. ^Helen

This is plain ridiculous. Not only Iberia Express is another IAG company but also all Iberia Express flights from LHR depart from Terminal 5 and are operated by British Airways; hence the cancellation of the 27 May flight. Iberia Express doesn´t have any staff based in LHR and just provides the aircraft and the flight crew.

Most importantly, I bought my flight ticket at BA.com site for a flight with a BA code operated by British Airways. As my e-ticket receipt states, the travel contract is between myself and British Airways, not any other third party or airline.

I fly this route a lot and regardless the ticket is bought through any of BA (like this flight), Iberia Express or Iberia sites, the passenger online check-in has to be done via the BA site and it clearly states the flight is operated by BA.

This answer also contradicts the information provided in the BA claim refusal email and also what I was told by BA staff on the 27-May both at London Heathrow and on the BA phone line when I was reallocated to another flight for the 29-May.

It´s really sad to see how BA are trying to squeeze the lump here after the big fiasco from the IT outage.

I keep pushing for this, but any further advise would be welcome.

Thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure