Contactless Card Question

Hello, I have a Flex account with Nationwide and am stuck in the past with just a chip an pin debit card.

Does anyone know if by changing to contactless the card number and CCV number will change? If it stays the same I will apply for one

it's just I'm being lazy and have account's/debits etc with the card details and fully memorised the number now

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    You will get a new CVV.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • ceb1995
    ceb1995 Posts: 388 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    All 4 of my cards got new numbers and cvvs when I changed them to contactless.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Is contactless worth having ? I only use mine to get the 5% cashback on up to £100 spend, but find that a number of shops (especially Tesco's self service and Aldi ) have machines which staff admit are 'always playing up' or 'not working with contactless , today'. (very annoying when you have shopped being careful to keep with in the £30 limit, then lose the chance of saving almost £1.50 .
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    teddysmum wrote: »
    Is contactless worth having ? I only use mine to get the 5% cashback on up to £100 spend, but find that a number of shops (especially Tesco's self service and Aldi ) have machines which staff admit are 'always playing up' or 'not working with contactless , today'. (very annoying when you have shopped being careful to keep with in the £30 limit, then lose the chance of saving almost £1.50 .

It always seems fine to me. And it's not like having contactless available stops you from using Chip and PIN.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 11 March 2017 at 5:55PM
    teddysmum wrote: »

Some people swear by contactless, and it certainly seems worth it if you are regularly using contactless-enabled public transport (London, obviously, and some other places) and regularly buy your coffee, lunch whatever with it.

But I've yet to be wowed by it. Our local public transport doesn't use it, we don't buy coffee or lunch out, and so our main use is in supermarkets. And those, as teddysmum says, are very hit and miss, to put it mildly. Half the time the machines don't work for contactless. Or the cards don't work. So you end up entering the pin anyway, having wasted your time trying the 'time-saving' contactless. We've almost given up trying it as there is no incentive to even try it if it fails so often.

But it's clearly a winner for some people!
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Why would a change do CVV number concern you?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Mdbrfc11 wrote: »

it's just I'm being lazy and have account's/debits etc with the card details and fully memorised the number now

You won't need to change any account that uses the card details, and there is really no need to memorise the number because it's written on the card so you can just look at that when you need it.
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The CVV always changes when you get a new card, even if the card number remains the same, e.g. when an old card expires and they send you a new one it will have a different CVV on it.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    I love contactless (mainly Apple Pay) as TSB offer 5% back each month (up to £100 as posted above).

I know some of the terminals can be hit and miss but then again I've had trouble with my credit/debit cards being read when using Chip & PIN.

Out of the banks I use I'd say TSB tends to be the most reliable.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • Thanks all, I'm just going to stick with my chip and pin until the card expires in2019
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure