DLA and cancer

I've just been diagnosed with advanced cancer and they tell me it is "treatable" but not "curable". Some people in my position keep going for years, but I will probably always need medical treatment, and I will be less healthy than normal. I'll also be vulnerable to infections and other health problems. In addition to the chemo side effects there is the possibility that the cancer itself will show symptoms.

Under the circumstances I am considering claiming DLA. I don't qualify for the "special rules" or whatever they call it because it's not terminal, so I'll have to wait three months and claim under the normal rules. In three month's time I'll have a clearer idea of what symptoms need to go on the forms.

Obviously all claims vary according to the individual, but broadly speaking would long-term chemo be acceptable as grounds for a DLA claim? I have access to "professional" advice but I wondered if anyone had personal experience they were willing to share.

Comments

• shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi

I'm very sorry to hear of your cancer.

Have you thought about Incapacity Benefit? I don't know the difference between IB and DLA but I have just finished a short term IB claim for my dignosis of cervical cancer. I claimed from the day of diagnosis up until just this week. The forms were very easy to fill in and I just had to send in a doctors sick note with the form.

Good Luck and best wishes
  • MBN
    MBN Posts: 2,980 Forumite
    Hi filigree,:)

Sorry for not being able to help on this matter, with which I'm not familiar at all. I just wanted to send you a big hug, and to wish you all the best.

Take care :kisses3:
    'Into every abyss I still bear the blessing of my affirmation' (Friedrich Nietzsche)
  • Sorry to hear about your cancer diagnosis, I hope the treatment you can have works well and that you stay as healthy and fit as you can. I don't know much about DLA or IB, but just wanted to say good luck and take care.
    Official DFW Nerd #148 :D
    Debt level @ highest (May 2004): £15000 :eek: Debt level @ August 2006: £9591.53
    Lightbulb moment May 2006 :idea:
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You don't actually need particular grounds for a DLA claim as it is not so much the illness or disability they are concerned with but more how it leads to care or mobility needs.
  • wirehair
    wirehair Posts: 4,291 Forumite
    Hi,Filigree,

So Sorry to hear of your news. My Husband was told he had cancer,just over three years ago. He could not work because of the amount of treatment he was having and the effects of this. The Macmillian nurse told us to put in a claim for DLA and to get our GP.to sign the form (special Rules). He was awarded full rate for both care and mobility. After treatment (6 months) he returned to work , they stopped payment,,even though he could not do the job that he used to do, (due to surgery).His firm found an easy job for him to do,less hours and less pay. After appealing it was reinstated and he is still recieving it. He was made redundant last Xmas.So is now on I.B. aswell. So I would advise to claim DLA they can only say no, even if you decide to wait the three months before claiming.I wish you all the best with your treatment.
    Never pay more than you have too
  • Macnab
    Macnab Posts: 314 Forumite
    My Mum has been diagnosed with treatable cancer and the Macmillan nurse came round and filled in every last form she could to make sure Mum had as many benefits as she was entitled too, including using the special rules to get the full amount and straight away. She's had radio therapy and now Chemo and we just cope with every day as it comes - some are better than others.
    Good luck
    x
  • viktory
    viktory Posts: 7,635 Forumite
    Hi

Sorry to hear of your illness. This thread is of particular interest to me as a friend of mine i sin a similar situation. She has been on SSP for ages and receives no benefits at all. I will advise her to talk to someone to see if she can claim.
  • Jummy
    Jummy Posts: 692 Forumite
    My dad was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer in feb and receives DLA under the 'special rules' criteria.
    I would put in a claim and ask your doctor if he will sign the 'special rules' form for you.
    Good luck with your treatment!
  • looby75
    looby75 Posts: 23,387 Forumite
    filigree, my uncle was diagnosed with "treatable, but not curable" prostate cancer about 2 years ago. He has been getting help from Macmillan nurses ever since he was diagnosed and they have been a godsend to him.

FWIW he has good days and bad days, he has low level radiotherapy treatment every few weeks that leaves him tired and a bit drained for a couple of days and as you say he is more inclined to pick up bugs/colds etc, but on the whole he still gets on with life pretty well.

Do contact the Macmillian nurses if you can, they are angels on earth and not only there to help deal with the physical symptoms of cancer, they can and will help you in other areas to.

good luck and I hope you keep well.
  • cidergirl
    cidergirl Posts: 434 Forumite
    i was sorry to hear about your cancer hope your feeling ok i had to reply to this thread as my mum went through similar problems with claiming benefits she was diagniosed with ovarian cancer and had 2 years of treatment unfortunately i lost her 3 years ago now but at the time 5 years ago the macmillan nurse filled in the forms for her saying how far she could walk etc and she got the dla and always felt guilty about claiming it i told her she was being silly and as she had worked and paid a stamp for more than 3 years she could also claim incapacity allownace the doctor needs to do you a sick note for this hope this all helps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure