Need not Want.

Comments

• MrsM1982
    MrsM1982 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Moning all,

Well I've been up since 4 am with dd3 and I really NEED sleep, yawn!

I'm still undecided about indoor play, will probably end up going as need to go to the shops and it will be good bribery for the kids to behave themselves!
    From home bargains I need birthday presents, loo roll,kitchen roll and toothpaste and NOTHING else!!! I'm usually really bad in home bargains and end up with a trolley full, but I promise to be good today!!i also need few things from asda and aldi.
  • moneypenny2k
    moneypenny2k Posts: 1,121 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    365days wrote: »
    It's amazing just how long cash can last when you aren't spending it isn't it? I try to always deal in cash now as it makes me 'tight' whereas a debitcard is just plastic money to me. Have you got a local facebook selling page? You may be able to pick up some local bargains there for the twins?

Well Done.

I'm exactly the same, when it's on plastic it doesn't register till i reconcile my bank account, which though it's usually twice or three times a week, means that it doesn't register as money till it's spent and that's too late. I take £150 out on a Friday and that's my money for food, petrol and anything else I need to buy such as clothes, toiletries etc.
    kerri_gt wrote: »

Big confession now - I have just ordered a sewing box online (xmas present from my DM)...now I deff didn't need the button box I also ordered but it was on sale, or prob the pin cushion, although the last bit of foam I used was so old it literally disintegrated. However (and this is me trying to justify it) - this sewing box is planned to last me for a long time, as will the button box and pin cushion to go with it. I do have things to put in it, and do sew..... :o:o

Kerri, I remember my nan's button box, spent hours playing with it as a child. I'm not a big sewer, just simple repairs and buttons on type of thing so I'm content with an old sweet tin. I do, however, have my nan's old needle case, a felt lady in a cape, the thimble goes in the space where her hood is. Reminds me so much of her, maybe your sewing box will be like that for your family.

I've been pretty good this last week, the thread is keeping me on track. I've bought a mattress cover and 2 pillows as I need them to protect my expensive mattress and to help me sleep properly. My current pillows hurt my neck. Mind you I did buy quite expensive pillows, I think cheap foam pillows only last a few months at most so my justification is cheap pillows £10 for about a year. Goose feather and down pillows (thank you grabbit board) £22 last about 5 years or so. Therefore cheaper in the long run.

I did manage to resist buying a new duvet set though, which I'd really like...:o but definitely don't need as I've got 3 sets already.

Thanks so much for starting this thread
  • 365days
    365days Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Mrs M Home 'stuff' is my weakness too.

I don't need any new bedding, pictures, cookware, frames, throws, cushions, mugs, crockery, rugs, lamps, pretty boxes, gadgets etc etc etc!!
    You never know if I stopped buying these £10/£20 items I could probably afford a sofa (which I want but don't need)
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Big_G_RC
    Big_G_RC Posts: 51 Forumite
    I didn't need an iPhone5 when I already had a 2yr old iPhone4 so I went sim only upon upgrade time and will save myself around £28/month so that'll result in me almost £700 better off I'll be in 2 years time.

3 sim only for £6.90/month (12mth contract) giving me 200 mins (2000 3 to 3 mins), 5000 texts and 500mb of data.
  • Sazdaz
    Sazdaz Posts: 241 Forumite
    First Post
    Well into a local charity shop and saw a really nice handmade vintage dress reduced to £3.25. Was tempted but then thought do I really need that dress and at the moment I really dont. I really hope this lasts as felt so good.
    APR NSD - 0/10
    Paid off in 2013 so far £125.00
    April Money made - £18.00
  • moneypenny2k
    moneypenny2k Posts: 1,121 Forumite
    Big_G_RC wrote: »
    I didn't need an iPhone5 when I already had a 2yr old iPhone4 so I went sim only upon upgrade time and will save myself around £28/month so that'll result in me almost £700 better off I'll be in 2 years time.

3 sim only for £6.90/month (12mth contract) giving me 200 mins (2000 3 to 3 mins), 5000 texts and 500mb of data.

I went to Virgin and got 1200 mins 1gb data and unlimited texts for 12 pcm all on a 30 day rolling contract so that if I want to, I can change to another provider without being locked in ;) Cheapest offer from O2 was over £20 AND locked me into a 12 month contract.
  • MrsM1982
    Success! I stuck to my shopping list again! However as hubby was with me he spent £1 on a thundercat figure for the kids ans they had a happy mel which he also paid for! On the upside they put 2 portions of fries in the one so we had a little freebie :D:D:D

I did end up taking them to soft play, that cost £6.50 in total and then we had a drink each as I forgot their bottles from home so that was £4.50 :eek: still I've been super good the rest of the week!
  • TudorRose
    TudorRose Posts: 421 Forumite
    Bake Off Boss!
    A great idea for a thread.

I am adopting 'Need not Want' as my motto for 2013.
    My low income has gone even lower recently so I have decided to use up as much of my stash of items such as toothpaste, handcream, cleaning materials etc as I can before buying others.
    I have more that enough clothes so willl not be buying more.
    I am also determined to keep on tidying my home & chuck/ donate to charity/rehome/recyle as much as I can.
    To this end I have started a list of everything I get rid of & everything I use from my stash so that I can see that I am making progress.
    I also have a huge stash of material & I am determined to convert some (hopefully most) of this to useable/saleable items.

Good luck everybody. I'm sure we can do it.
  • minicooper272
    minicooper272 Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    edited 5 January 2013 at 12:42AM
    I have this problem with a lot of spending areas... In November, I banned myself from buying more toiletries until 2013, and think I'll extend that to March. This would make a good challenge though! Getting people to sign up for doing this in specific areas, or just in general, for however long they decide?

I was planning on only buying what I need for clothes, toiletries, shoes - basically everything but food - until the end of March. I think I'll give myself £50 for 'treats' over the three months, like new bedding and a cinema trip.
  • MrsM1982
    Forgot to say yesterday that I got the two birthday presents I needed, £3.99 top from H&M and I had a £5 voucher so only paid £2.98 for both :D

Still need to finish the shopping today and ring love film.

I've been given loads of little toiletry bottles you get in hotels so won't need to buy any for a while!

Looking forward, I will need to decorate the kids bedrooms dd3 is in with us at the moment but we hope to move her in next couple of months. DS and DD1 want to share so need to make the bigger room less pink and need bunk beds and the small room less blue!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure