PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What Do Letting Agents Look Out For In Tenant Credit Checks!

Options
My sister is considering renting from a Letting Agency but is concerned about the credit checks they all insist on carrying out as part of the letting process.

She's had problems with debts in the past but has had arrangements with all her creditors for the past 4 years to make reduced payments, and she's had no worries in all this time. However, these arrangements are reflected on her credit file and this means that she has a very poor credit rating. She doesn't have any CCJs or IVAs and has never been declared bankrupt.

She has been renting privately but now needs to move closer to her work but can't find any suitable properties to rent privately. She's now forced to consider going with Letting Agencies but she's a bit worried about them doing a credit check, seeing that she has a poor credit rating and then refusing her the let. She'll also lose the almost £200 admin fee she'll be charged for the credit check and reference process.

So, my question is, does anyone know what letting agents look out for in a credit file that will cause them to refuse letting a property to a tenant?

Comments

• Benji
    Benji Posts: 640 Forumite
    Options
    This link is to an 'old' page from one letting agency - see in particular What minimum referencing criteria need to be met?
    http://web.archive.org/web/20090228073709/http://www.movingspace.com/tenants/first/
    Life should be a little nuts; otherwise it's just a bunch of Thursdays strung together.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd hope they'd look for the same sorts of things as the landlord they are acting for! And any sensible landlord not using an agency would do these checks too - I certainly do.

First - get copies of her credit reports from Experian etc to see what's on there.
    Second - be honest from the start. State what credit problems there are and what is on the file. Then ask if those items will preclude renting. If the answer is 'yes', save the application fee!
    Third - if the agency says "that's fine as long as there's nothing else" get that in writing. ie added to the receipt for the admin fee, together with a statement that in those circumstances the fee is refundable. If subsequently the landlord or agent declines her application despite having found nothing additional, she should demand her fee back, quoting the statement on the receipt. (of course, if the credit search shows up an undeclared bankrupcy, tht's different!)
  • Wee_Willy_Harris
    Options
    A £60 fee?
  • Experian_company_representative
    Experian_company_representative Posts: 2,134 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Letting agents and landlords can only access the public information on your credit report, so I've you've had no court judgments or insolvencies you shouldn't have a problem with credit checks. Your actual credit history data is only visible to banks and other lenders.

James Jones
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Posts by James Jones, Neil Stone, Stuart Storey & Joe Standen
  • mrdeepee
    mrdeepee Posts: 28 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Letting agents and landlords can only access the public information on your credit report, so I've you've had no court judgments or insolvencies you shouldn't have a problem with credit checks. Your actual credit history data is only visible to banks and other lenders.

James Jones

Many thanks for your post. It makes sense that non-lenders who themselves don't provide credit information to credit reference agencies, aren't able to see non-public credit info of their customers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure