Refunds on unused train tickets

Thomask
Thomask Posts: 557 Forumite
Hi

Hoping people can shed some light here!

- Can refunds be obtained on the unused return portion of a train ticket? If so, does it apply to Off-Peak and -Super Off-peak tickets? My understanding is it excludes Advance ticket types?

- Most of my tickets are purchased through third party ticket sellers - ie The Train Line, My Train Ticket etc.

- How is the refund calculated? Is it exactly half of the full ticket cost less what appears to be a £10 admin fee?

- How long do I have to claim the refund? Can this be done online?

- If I am claiming on more than one ticket would the £10 fee apply in each instance? Seems a lot for an admin fee.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Stigy
    Stigy Posts: 1,581
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Unless a specific advance type ticket, I'd imagine refunds would not apply unless there's a very good reason (such as the specific train was cancelled or there was severe disruptioin etc).
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    There's no such thing as the return portion of an advance ticket - they are all singles. You can't get a refund, but if you do it before the original departure time you can chnage it to another train, paying any difference in fare plus a £10 admin fee.

Normal tickets (ie not advance) can be refunded less a £10 admin fee including part used ones. It's per ticket. I think officially you have 28 days to apply. Don't know procedure

But why are you buying through agencies when you can buy from virtually any train comany at the same price with no fees?
  • AirlieBird
    AirlieBird Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    You can get a refund for unused portions of off-peak and anytime tickets. Details of how to claim are in the 'help' or 'FAQ' sections of the websites you bought tickets from. I suspect the refund would be the difference between a Single and Return ticket, which in the case of off-peak tickets is usually £1 and 'off-peak Day' tickets 10p.
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
  • Broadstone
    Broadstone Posts: 216
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    edited 20 March 2011 at 3:56PM
    Thomask wrote: »
    Hi

Hoping people can shed some light here!

- Can refunds be obtained on the unused return portion of a train ticket? If so, does it apply to Off-Peak and -Super Off-peak tickets? My understanding is it excludes Advance ticket types?.

Yes....You can get refunds for any unused tickets apart from advanced ones; although I have managed to do this on occasions with advanced ones.

I don't know why your tickets are unused. If need be, just be creative when giving reasons for them being unused; being ill is a good reason.
    Most of my tickets are purchased through third party ticket sellers - ie The Train Line, My Train Ticket etc.

- How is the refund calculated? Is it exactly half of the full ticket cost less what appears to be a £10 admin fee?

- If I am claiming on more than one ticket would the £10 fee apply in each instance? Seems a lot for an admin fee.

You should get a full refund for the unused part of the return ticket less the £10 admin fee. For each railway company or 3rd-party agencies, try insisting £10 admin fee is applied only once for many instances. If they don't comply, just post an update on this thread for an escalation contact.
    How long do I have to claim the refund? Can this be done online.

I believe that it is one calendar month for most agencies and raliway companies. Read their T&Cs to confirm. Some railway companies and agencies let you claim on-line whereas other require postage. It will be on their websites.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    thomask wrote: »
    - most of my tickets are purchased through third party ticket sellers - ie the train line, my train ticket etc.

why ???...........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport