PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Chilli con carne recipe & questions

Options

Comments

• green1970
    Options
    I've got mine to add here as well - everyone who's tried it loves it and takes the recipe home with them. It's great the day after and sometimes I make a huge one and then use all my old takeaway plastic containers to pack the freezer with loads of future quick meals.

Chilli con carne

Ingredients

2 tbsp olive oil
    2 onions, chopped
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    1kg/2¼lb lean minced beef
    2 glasses red wine
    2x400g cans chopped tomatoes
    3 tbsp tomato pur!e
    ½ tsp chilli powder
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp ground coriander
    pinch ground cinnamon
    good shake of Worcestershire sauce
    1 beef stock cube
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2x400g can red kidney beans, drained
    1 large bunch coriander leaves, roughly chopped

Method

1. Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan and fry the onion and garlic until softened. Increase the heat and add the mince, cooking quickly until browned and breaking down any chunks of meat with a wooden spoon. Pour in the red wine and boil for 2-3 minutes. While waiting, pour a glass for yourself.
    2. Stir in the tinned tomatoes, tomato pur!e, fresh chilli or chilli flakes, cumin, ground coriander, cinnamon, and Worcestershire sauce and crumble in the stock cube. Season well with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, cover with a lid and cook over a gentle heat for about 50 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally until the mixture is rich and thickened. Add the kidney beans and fresh coriander. Cook for a further 10 minutes, uncovered, before removing from the heat, adding any extra seasoning or fresh chilli if you feel it needs more punch.

Tips:
    The chilli is much tastier a day or two after it's cooked as the flavours develop and the texture becomes richer. Simply leave to cool, stick in the fridge and gently heat before serving. If you're eating the chilli on the day you prepared it, any leftovers can be frozen in individual portions
    11th Heaven prizes Number 103
    Jan Wins - £15 itunes voucher, Food Processor
    1) Holiday 2) Cash 3) Ipad [STRIKE]4) Kitchen gadgets[/STRIKE] 5) New Actifry 6) Garden/House makeover 7) New Bed 8) Multi-region BluRay player 9) Netbook 10) Gig tickets 11) 3D TV

• Alexa2
    Options
    If you like it hot then this Chilli con Carne will really pile on the heat.

Ingredients

450 g (1 lb) minced beef
    1 packet Chilli con Carne Hot (from www.spices2go.com)
    400 g tin chopped tomatoes
    400 g tin red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
    125 ml (4 fl oz) water

Preparation

Brown the minced beef in a saucepan. Drain the excess liquid.
    Add the packet contents, tomatoes, kidney beans and water. Bring to the boil, stirring.
    Cover and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    Serve with boiled rice, soured cream and salsa.

Add a small chopped onion and diced red or green pepper to the mince at the start of cooking.
  • hamstercheeks_2
    Options
    :confused: ah well might as well add my family recipe handed down from my auntie to my mumand now to me and my sisters

leanmincedbeef
    2 medium onions - chopped
    garlic- 2 clobes crushed or chopped
    1 tin of chopped tomatoes
    half a tube of tomato puree
    1 red chilli-chopped (includingseeds)
    1 Green Chili chopped including seeds
    1 green and 1 red pepper chopped
    1 bay leaf - large or 2 small ones
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1 teaspoon of flour
    1 teaspoon of ground cumin
    1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
    2 teaspoons of chilli powder
    full cup of beef stock
    2 shakes of tabasco sauce
    4 shakes of worcestershire sauce
    1 tin of red kidney beans

brown mince, drain fat then put in pan with chopped onion and 1 teaspoon of flour until onions are opaque.

Add chopped garlic and fry for 5 mins stirring occasionally.

Add tomatoes, tomato puree, oregano, cayenne pepper, chilli powder, beef stock and cumin, cover pot and bring to a moderate heat. Add chillis and peppers (chop chillis wearing gloves). Add Tabasco and Worcstershire sauce and simmer for one hour.

Drain kidney beans and add to mixture once cooked for an hour. Simmer for a further half hour:T

this never fails
    Time is the best teacher
    Shame it kills all the students
    :p
    *******************************************************************************************
  • nettles77
    nettles77 Posts: 518 Forumite
    Options
    from scratch as have only tried packet mixes. Many Thanks.
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Fry chopped onion in a bit of oil, add paprika for flavour and turmeric for extra colour, a pinch of cayenne pepper for spiciness (to your taste), then add mince (meat or veg) and sautee until browned a bit. Add beans (canned or pre-cooked, kidney beans are the most traditional but any beans will do). Add chopped tomatoes and salt to taste. Let it simmer for a half hour until all the flavours are mixed and all bits are cooked. Serve on boiled rice or on tortillas.

If you have a slow cooker, instead of doing all the cooking this and that, bang into slow cooker all at once and let it cook for several hours.

HTH
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Spendaholic_Chick
    Options
    I'd also add some red wine into that mix :-)
    :D GOD BLESS DURAN DURAN :D
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no 293 Proud to be dealing with my debts
    March NSD 5/10 March Make £5 Day £99.28/£155
  • Kataratarina
    Options
    no garlic?!!
    Now a mother to my beautiful daughter Olivia
    Born 10th Dec 2010 weighing 7lb 1oz
    :D:A
  • Caterina
    Options
    Yeh, I would also chop carrots and celery finely to add veg, as a base, but just gave the basic-est of basic recipe there!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi nettles,

There's a recent thread with lots of recipes for chilli made from scratch so I'll add your thread to it so that you can look through the posts.

Pink
  • Caterina
    Options
    no garlic?!!

I tend to use either garlic or onion, not the both together as the flavours get confused! It's any Italian thing, I always find it strange to see people here in the UK mixing the two. In Italy some sauces have onion, some others have garlic, but I don't know of any that has both.

Having said that, my (English born and bred) kids cook with both at the same time and it does not bother me a bit as I like both - but for traditional cookery I keep them separate.

For example:

Arrabbiata sauce: garlic
    Amatriciana: onion
    Puttanesca: garlic
    Bolognese: onion
    etc etc etc...

BTW, this is only MY way of cooking! If you ask any Italian each of them will have their own recipe!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure