lost Post Office card

My parents each have a Post Office card account, into which their pensions are paid into. My dad lost his card today and went into the Post Office. They were very nice and gave my parents a phone number to phone. They said that they'd probably manage to sort something out so they could still get dad's pension.

When they got home mum phoned the number. She put the call on loudspeaker as my dad is very deaf, and she had to relay what the person on the phone was saying to my dad. According to my mum, this man got angry with her and said the call shouldn't be on loudspeaker. Mum said that she was almost crying at the way he was talking to her. Dad had managed to give them his date of birth and his NI number, but the man on the phone said that he couldn't accept this as they'd put the call on loudspeaker. :confused:

He said they would have to write a letter informing them of the lost card, and it might take 2-3 weeks to get another card! Mum said they had no money until then (her pension is only £50odd a week). He said he couldn't do anything to help. Dad gets his pension, pension credit and attendance allowance paid through this account.

I've phoned the inland revenue on behalf of my dad before. I've put it on speakerphone, and i've relayed the call to my dad, and they've known this. They were very helpful, and they got my dad's permission for me to deal with the tax problems he was having.

Because my dad is very deaf, is there any other way that they could get round this without having to wait 2-3 weeks? I'm not happy at the way my mum was spoken to either. I didn't know dad had lost his PO card until after this had happened or I would have went round and phoned myself.

Comments

• jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    They haven't been left with nothing because they've managed to borrow from us for the time being - but that's not the point.
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    jackieb, I'm sorry to hear this. I would urge your parents to put in a formal complaint. I would also contact RNID and ask for their advice, they may be able to help incase anything like this happens again.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • jackieb
    Forumite
    Thank you. I was thinking of putting in a complaint on their behalf anyway. Good idea about contacting the RNID.

They're going to see about getting a textphone, but I doubt my dad would be able to work that either, as he's 76 and not technically minded. :)

I looked on the Pension Service website and it says that they'd speak to someone on your behalf if you gave your permission. That's what we did when I spoke to the Inland Revenue, and they were very helpful.

I'm not happy that they expect them to wait 2-3 weeks for his money. What if they had no family to help them out?
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    jackieb wrote: »
    Thank you. I was thinking of putting in a complaint on their behalf anyway. Good idea about contacting the RNID.

They're going to see about getting a textphone, but I doubt my dad would be able to work that either, as he's 76 and not technically minded. :)

I looked on the Pension Service website and it says that they'd speak to someone on your behalf if you gave your permission. That's what we did when I spoke to the Inland Revenue, and they were very helpful.

I'm not happy that they expect them to wait 2-3 weeks for his money. What if they had no family to help them out?

Why not just phone back, you will get another operator (who isn't an idiot or having a bad day), explain that your father is deaf, that you are calling on his behalf but that you can put the speakerphone on loud (as this is the only way your father can use the phone due to his disability) to confirm any DPA questions before you arrange for the card problem to be resolved,

Make an issue of the deafness as a disability that they need to deal with in advance of trying to resolve the card issue.
    ====
  • jackieb
    Forumite
    My sister-in-law phoned yesterday and asked to speak to the supervisor. She wasn't very nice either, and they were told again that he'd have to write in.

I might phone myself when the office opens again.
  • Tiggles_2
    Tiggles_2 Posts: 58 Forumite

This is something post offices keep very very quiet...the postmaster has a "vault card" this card enables them to access money from the account left without a card, you have to speak to the manager and take your dad with several bits of ID, preferably with a photo on, and the sort code and account number of the post office card account (this can be found on any statement sent by the post office every 3 months) and the postmaster can release all of the funds in that account to your father, your father can go in when he needs money each time and the postmaster is obliged to provide money so long as your father can prove who he is and that he is the holder of the account.

With regards to the staff member at the post office help line. When calling a call centre or contact centre the first thing I reccommend is get that persons name, if they have an ID number or an extension number get that too, make a note of the time and date you call, if you have a complaint you can quote these which enable the centre to find the call and listen to it and they may take further action.

Take your dad to the post office, use the vault card, then call the post office help line again get names and ID/ext numbers and if youre not happy talk to a supervisor. Please note that the quality of a speakerphone is sometimes not that great and when answering security questions the post office help line cannot have a third party giving the customer the answer, the customer has to answer the questions with no help, at that time they will have a new card made for him.

Hope this helps.
  • jackieb
    Forumite
    Thank you.

It was temporary member of staff that was working in the Post Office that day they went in - so she might not have been aware of the 'vault card'.

I'll tell him to try the Post Office again - with all the necessary ID. As for speaking on the phone I guess he's going to have to write after all. My mum told him what the person on the helpline was asking, but it was my dad himself who answered. It wasn't my mum who gave his NI number, etc. She just relayed to my dad what they were saying on the phone. I guess there's no way round that. I just thought she/or me would be able to talk on his behalf if he gave his permission.
  • Tiggles_2
    Tiggles_2 Posts: 58 Forumite
    Thank you.

It was temporary member of staff that was working in the Post Office that day they went in - so she might not have been aware of the 'vault card'.

I'll tell him to try the Post Office again - with all the necessary ID. As for speaking on the phone I guess he's going to have to write after all. My mum told him what the person on the helpline was asking, but it was my dad himself who answered. It wasn't my mum who gave his NI number, etc. She just relayed to my dad what they were saying on the phone. I guess there's no way round that. I just thought she/or me would be able to talk on his behalf if he gave his permission.

I have dealt with the Post Office Help Line oh behalf of a relative and frankly I don't think customer service is that high on their agenda. They cannot refuse to help if you father answers the security questions himself. Like I said, get a name and ID number and speak to a supervisor and get his or her details too and escalate it as far as you can
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure