Duplicate Tax Disc -on taxed car with no tax disc, bought at auction

Comments

• john539
    john539 Posts: 16,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Keith wrote: »
    You've bought a car with no tax disc, yes?

I guess you've found out using vehicle enquiry that it is taxed, yes?

You did not purchase the tax which is currently shown against the vehicle, agree?

The former owner of the vehicle may be holding the original tax disc and plan to get a refund, they may not, they may have just thought stuff the dealer I'll keep the tax.

You then go ahead with your plan which from looking at the form you can't legally fill in. I'll draw your attention to the second line of A. Which reads "Your original"

The former owner then goes ahead and gets a refund.

The DVLA now have a shortfall in tax and either come after you or just cancel the duplicate disc making your vehicle on the road untaxed and you back on here when it is clamped.

But never mind, the DVLA are only interested in who the registered keeper is. Course they are.
    Sorry you've lost me, unless you're being pedantic.

The "Your" applies to whoever is applying for a Duplicate.

The former owner won't get a refund if I have got a Duplicate. :rotfl: :T

The DVLA always word their rules & forms very very carefully.
    You will note they only refer to Registered Keeper.
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    if you are so sure then why ask?
    just apply for the tax disc then.
    ...work permit granted!
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    john539 wrote: »
    I don't know where the tax disc is & I don't know previous owner. As far as I know it's lost.

And I am sure that if you believe your logic then you will honestly answer question 3, and put in the box the truth that 'you have bought a car and there was no tax disc on it, therefore as the DVLA show it as taxed, it must lost'.

Will the DVLA send you a replacement disc - oh look, flying pigs.
  • S0litaire
    S0litaire Posts: 3,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Guess he didn't read the bit where the previous owner needs to send his "TAX DISK" back to the DVLA for his refund. The DVLA will spot you applying for a replacement saying you lost it. (Ain't that called fraud?)

Guess what the DVLA might do.....
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
  • john539
    S0litaire wrote: »
    Guess he didn't read the bit where the previous owner needs to send his "TAX DISK" back to the DVLA for his refund. The DVLA will spot you applying for a replacement saying you lost it. (Ain't that called fraud?)

Guess what the DVLA might do.....
    The DVLA will do nothing, they only want money.
    They will deal with the 1st request that comes in, issue a Duplicate or Refund.

If the previous owner has a problem, they'll leave it to him to sort out.
  • john539
    Altarf wrote: »
    And I am sure that if you believe your logic then you will honestly answer question 3, and put in the box the truth that 'you have bought a car and there was no tax disc on it, therefore as the DVLA show it as taxed, it must lost'.

Will the DVLA send you a replacement disc - oh look, flying pigs.
    Do we know the previous owner has the tax disc ?

No, we don't.
  • S0litaire
    Do we know the previous owner has the tax disc ?

No, we don't.

Do you actually READ these posts?

once the DVLA has received a claim to refund the tax disk (with said tax disk provided as evidence) a couple of clicks on a keyboard, then the DVLA database is updated to sat that the car no longer has a valid Tax disk.

you are happily motoring along doing 65mpg on the motor way then Mr Plod in his panda car comes up behind you and flashes his wee blue lights.

Guess what the little box called "ANPR" has beeped to tell the polds in the panda that your Numberplate, according the the DVLA database, has NO valid Tax therefore no insurance or MOT!

so it's probably gonna cost you £300+ (£60 fine and points £120 for them to tow it away plus £20 per day storage) to get your car back. Those are rough estimates.

That's not even including the trouble you'll get in for if you DID get a disk from the DVLA think the legal phrase "obtaining with deception" my get banded about...

But if you think you'll get away with it! Go for it!
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
  • What a !!!!!! the OP is

This would be called theft/deception

You do not have a valid tax disc which you have a legal obligation to therefore you have no right to make a claim

You could face prosecution and likely heavy legal costs

But hey you know best, go ahead with your fraud, I hope you get caught
  • Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sorry you've lost me, unless you're being pedantic.

The "Your" applies to whoever is applying for a Duplicate.

The former owner won't get a refund if I have got a Duplicate. :rotfl: :T

The DVLA always word their rules & forms very very carefully.
    You will note they only refer to Registered Keeper.

They are very careful with their wording for a reason. The word "your" is a possessive word indicating something that belongs to you. Whilst completing the form you can not answer the question where is your tax disc because you have never had possession of one.

When the application for a refund is recieved it will be passed to the higher department to sort out, which is when your duplicate will be cancelled.

I just googled duplicate car tax fraud on google and this is the number one hit, a mod should change the title to "How not to commit VED Fraud"
  • S0litaire
    John here's a question to ask the police when they stop you.
    "Are they filming for Sky or Ch5?"

Let us know the answer so we can all watch... :D
    Laters

Sol

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure