PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start

Comments

• VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Morning all

Where do you find muslin for cooking purposes? In a kitchen shop? Hobby craft?

DS has gone back to school after a last minute "where's my tie?" Crisis (it was hanging out of his blazer pocket :p). He is now in year 11 - final year of school and GCSE year :eek: I asked if he was ok about going back and he said he just wants to get it over and done with. He wants to work on the railways, ultimately as a train driver, so it is a question of how best to get him to that point. He should achieve a clutch of GCSEs but isn't the most academic boy though, frustratingly, he is rather intelligent. He is a natural leader and I can see him rising through the management ranks, though he isn't acknowledging that yet.

We have had Great Debate about his school lunches. As I am trying to move the household towards low sugar / no carp food, it is difficult to know what to put in the lunch box. He says sandwiches and wraps just look so unappetising by the time he get to eat them and he won't let me put in salad, tomatoes etc to liven them up. We are trying some French stick sandwiches. I cooked a part baked 12" stick first thing and filled it when it was cool. He also has a slab of home made no sugar fruit loaf. Any suggestions would be most welcome - though he is rather fussy about packed lunch and I am sick of him throwing them away and coming home to raid the fridge. He is 15, I can't force him to eat it if he doesn't want to. At least even he agrees that food bought at school is carp.

I am "working from home" today - though at least part of my day will be spent getting the house in some kind of order, especially DS clothes. I have a feeling that a "quick but expensive" shopping trip will be about to happen -we go to one corner of our local retail park and work anti clockwise round Blacks, Next, Top Man, and finish at Sports Direct for trainers and footie boots. We can't do it the other way round as if he gets trainers and footie boots first then he won't cooperate in the other shops :cool: he is a good lad really, you just have to know how he works.

We have a couple of weeks till our students are back, so my time will be made up then and it's all go till Christmas. Should be easier this year though as I have taught everything once - last year nearly everything was new. Famous last words

Don't know if I said but I am also going to try to persuade the boss to let me do a PhD :eek: I have always resisted, but now in the Higher Education game, if you want a new job, they won't even consider anyone without a doctorate. Which is ridiculous as we have some fantastic teachers without one but some fairly dire teachers with. But unfortunately researchers attract funding and the teaching becomes secondary. Just one of the issues that has arisen with the rise in student fees - universities actually get less money now as government funding has all but been withdrawn. <<climbs down off soap box>>

So a morning of washing, tidying, sugar free baking. A walk into town with my Wally trolley for a visit to the bank and home bargains for the cheap shampoo.

Have a great day all
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 2 September 2014 at 10:21AM
    Would DS like individual pies/quiches/large sausage rolls as an alternative to a sandwich? They survive pretty well if you wrap them tightly in foil and along with a piece of fruit cake or some fruit and nuts would be a pretty energy full and substantial lunch for a 15 year old.

If he'd like them I make a 'Nakd Bar' lookalike which is sugar free

Blitz together all ingredients until very finely milled in a food processor. Take from mixer bowl and compact together with your hands then roll into a long thick sausage shape in a piece of cling film. Fridge overnight and cut off pieces as you want them. It keeps for weeks if you give it the chance to, but doesn't usually last long as it's YUMMY!!!

4.8 oz pitted dried dates
    2.9 oz raw cashew nuts (pieces are fine)
    1.7 oz seedless raisins /dried cherries
    0.6 oz cocoa powder
    2 teaspoons honey

The cheapest source of cashew nuts and dried pitted dates I've found so far is Poundland. I use the Urban Fruits Dried Cherries which I get in Mr.T.
  • VJsmum
    Ooh thanks, that looks yummy. I will call in poundland when me and Wally pop to town.

Quiches are a good idea, not sure if he'll go for it. Depends what his friends would think of them.
  • Don't call them quiche use the Swedish word which is PAJ (pie)!
  • VJsmum
    Oh wow, Mrs LW your raw cake bar thingy is sublime :T

I changed recipe slightly to make with what I have so instead of cashews I used 3 oz almonds and 1 oz desiccated coconut. Everything else was the same

Absolutely delish.

Do you mind if I put on my blog? I will credit you and direct people here.

(If anyone looks. Blog is a work in progress but I hope to update 3 or 4 times a week and am learning re presentation. There are a cuople of recipes on Already though).

I have also made some apple and cinnamon bars, thus

Ingredients

8 ounces pecans (2 cups)
    5 3/4 ounces rolled oats (2 cups)*
    8 1/4 ounces pitted and halved dates (1 1/2 cups)
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    8 ounces chopped granny smith apples (or similar) (2 cups)
    Instructions

Preheat oven to 350°F.
    Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and spread the pecans and oats out on it in a single flat layer. Bake in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, until toasted and fragrant.
    Keep the oven preheated to 350°F. Line an 8" square pan or a 12" x 5 1/2" biscotti pan with parchment paper, leaving enough parchment on the sides to use as "handles" for pulling out the finished bars.
    Place the toasted nuts and oats in a food processor along with the dates, cinnamon, and salt. Process until the mixture is coarse and crumbly, with no large pieces remaining. Add the chopped apple and pulse in until there are no longer any large chunks left. Continue to process until everything starts to clump together, using a spatula if necessary to help move things around. This process may move slowly, but eventually everything should come together.
    Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan, using a wide, flat spatula to pat it down into a flat and compact layer that takes up the entire space of the pan. It helps to fold the extra parchment on the sides over the bars, and flatten with the spatula on top of the parchment (to prevent sticking). Be patient with this; the bars will look the exact same once they're done baking, so try to make them really flat and even.
    Bake the bars in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Cool for 10-15 minutes, and then slice into bars. Once completely cool, lift out of the pan. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.

Except I used walnuts instead of pecans (really must update my stocks) and I soaked the dates for a short time as last time I made it , it was rather dry.

I will put photos and recipes on blog later

I also made chocolate crispy cakes

1oz sugar - I used 3/4 oz xylitol
    1 tbsp syrup (I used agave syrup)
    2 oz butter
    1 oz cocoa or vey dark chocolate

Melt all together in a pan or microwave and then add

4 oz rice crispies

Spoon into cake cases and chill
  • Hello all,

Good to see everyone back after the summer.

Weather is lovely here today, washing out and have taken DD shopping.

She is with the surgeon tomorrow, so whilst she is there and having x rays, we are having our yearly bloods done, after which we will head for the hospital restaurant because we will have been fasting.

DGD2 and DGS are coming for a meal tonight and I was asked if DGD could bring boyfriend with her so he could be introduced to us, how nice is that. Himself will do the honours of picking them up so looking forward to that. Our children don't go back to school until tomorrow.

Flora is curled up on the sofa at the moment fast asleep, making the most of the quiet. Once DGD2 arrives she will be doing all sorts of things with her because she absolutely loves animals and Flora almost goes to sleep when she cuddles her, yet she won't let me cuddle her for long.

FTM what a lovely summer you must have had, sounds absolutely perfect. Give the girls a hug from me pleased

Have a good day everyone

Much love
    Candlelightx
  • VJsMum you have a blog, how exciting, I shall be stopping by during the week. The apple and cinnamon bars sound delish, and you know Lyn's recipes are usually gorgeous.

Candlelightx
  • VJsmum
    It's early days candlelight, but I am definitely going to be updating more regularly. Especially since I started my low sugar low wheat journey
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 2 September 2014 at 3:24PM
    Yes of course you can, It's so easy to make and definately the whole is much bigger than the sum of the component parts. I'm glad you like it, it's not entirely virtuous but gives you the thing you need when sweet toothedness strikes isn't it, and definately more healthy than sugar based sweeties.

You can buy food grade muslin squares in the kitcheny department at John Lewis. They are big and go through the washing machine very well. I've had mine for years and use them every preserving season. At the end of the chutney making I soak them in a dilute bleach solution for a couple of hours and then bring them up to the boil in a deep pan on the hob. Then they go through the washing machine before being stored for next year.
  • Knock knock, can I come in? Candlelight invited me over for a cuppa x

PiC x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family