PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start

Comments

• hoglet121
    hoglet121 Posts: 658
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    How lovely to see VJsmum and FTM back after the summer :-) I'm waving to you!

We are still ploughing on with minimal spending as the mortgage renewal deadline is fast approaching and I desperately want to get a big chunk paid straight off the capital. That said, we weren't particualrly good last weekend owing to the All Blacks match... This week there's no international rugby on but our local team has a big game on, so we'll be off to that...

Other than that a quiet weekend planned, not sure yet if DH has a match to ref on saturday morning. I've got some work to do for my course, nice to be doing something I find fascinating as well as the day job.

Hope your're all well :-)

Hoglet x
  • flowertotmum
    flowertotmum Posts: 1,043
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Evening all..o its lovely to be back.

MLW..o how exciting..birthday cake,chinese and ikea..want to swap places ..wish Nell a wonderful birthday from all of us flowers..she is rapidly becoming a heroine in our eyes. Whale watching sounds amazing..we have been on the Discovery web and National Geographic sites this afternoon..found some wonderful stuff and info..fanatstic..we love the Blue Whale..its gigantic..

Candlelight..thank you..i am so proud of Sam..he has loved the allotment and today he re-roofed the shed up there and helped his neighbour move some heavy bags..the old fellas love him..

VJ'smum..Congratulations to your daughter..well done..am so glad your diet is going well..and talking hubby into it too..thats good going.

Hoglet..hiya..glad your saving money..and that match was brilliant..i got up early to watch it with Fern..enjoy your weekend.

Scottishminnie..hellooo..how are you doing..

Aot..o so sorry to read you have been in hospital..hoping your all better now..

Right someone asked for the relish recipe..here it is.

2lb ripe tomatoes
    2lb onions
    4 large garlic cloves crushed
    6oz sugar
    half teaspoon turmeric
    1 teaspoon paprika
    half pint white vinegar
    Skin the tomatoes,and finely chop.
    Finely chop the onions and mix them all together with the rest of the ingredients in a large pan.
    Bring it to the boil,reduce heat and cook it uncovered for 1 hour.
    Stir it now and then to stop it sticking.
    Transfer to warm jars and cover immediately with the lids.
    Leave it to mature for at least a month.
    It can be stored for 6-9 months.
    there you go..i always write on the calendar when i have made it and when its ready to eat,also i write on the labels how long it can be stored for and the dates.
    ftm
    Be who you are, not what the world expects you to be..:smileyhea

:jDebt free and loving it.
  • flowertotmum
    flowertotmum Posts: 1,043
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Right now to catch up on whats been happening here..

Sam has been harvesting veg like crazy..green beans,beetroots,carrots,cabbage..he picked all our onions..and i will need a scuba mask to peel and chop them..they are huge..3lb one weighed..and the shallots are just delicious.The squashes are coming along nicely too.

My dd Fionna had a minor operation to remove a suspicious mole on her arm..she is fine just sore.

My only grandson starts school next week..he is so excited..and looks so cute in his uniform..Leah starts YR1..big girl now.
    GD hollie is in YR2..she and baby emma came to play for the day and have tea..well i had two little girls who really didn't want to go home..tears and hugs from both of them..poor fern and iris got upset too..had to promise they can come again..o i was so upset that they were all upset..
    Fern and Iris have been steadily working through the holidays so we will have some days off soon..
    I have added to my rather politically incorrect book collection..found some Enid Blyton books in a CS in town..i almost squealed when i saw them..lovely and they have that old smell..love it.
    The girls have a new fave fruit..Water melon..they can't get enough of it.
    Simon got a drenching trying to fix the pond pump i bought him to the bottom of the pond..wow he smelt awful. Poor fish lol.

I have been uber busy..making jams,pies,crumbles and freezing all the veg. Sorting out more stuff to sell and donate and bin. My wardrobe looks cool and so does everyone elses lol..i found a beautiful blue china dinner set online before my laptop went stupid..thank fully it was still there this morning..so i bought it..have wanted one for ages..also it 6 piece place settings..so now we all have matching plates..well will when it arrives.
    Well thats me up to date..i think..
    so glad to be back..i have missed all of you so much..
    going to bed now..
    love to you all
    ftm
    Be who you are, not what the world expects you to be..:smileyhea

:jDebt free and loving it.
  • Afternoon everyone, Nell and I had a lovely day yestrday and I managed to buy her a bar of dairy free chocolate, a lovely bar of organic soap from the wholefood shop and a georgeous knitted throw from Ikea to go on her sofa to wrap up in when it's gets colder, oh, and lunch too!!! I've just waved them off to take her home again and I'll be taking the Dockling for a walk in a minute.

Our blackberries are incredible this year, I've picked kilos from the 2 bushes this year and hadn't picked for a couple of days as it's been wet. Nell and I went up and picked yesterday evening and got 13 and a half pounds in one picking, wow! She came in from the garden this morning and said 'Ma you'll not believe how many are ripe again today', the bushes are covered. I've sent most of them home with her as she's got friends who'll be able to use them. My latest preserving has been 6 bottles of blackberry vinegar which is quite delicious and can be used in salad dressings or as a hot drink if we get sore throats and coldy things in the winter along with the elderberry cordial I made last week. I'm going to make some blackberry chutney from a wartime recipe I've found in one of my books when I have enough windfall apples from the tree. Nell's taken all todays home with her.

Ruthie and Ezra have arrived safely in France for thier holiday and apparently Ezra was asleep for the take off and loved being in the plane so was very well behaved and played with the drop down seat back table all the way there, he's a good boy. I hope the icelandic volcano doesn't give air traffic problems before they fly home again next week, fingers crossed.

Hope you're all having a nice day, Love Lyn xxx.
  • Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Afternoon all, not been on MSE much this summer, but trying to catch up a bit now. Sounds like others have had a good time this summer as well!:)

We had a weekend away to the Lake District. not been before but loved every minute, and were blessed with clement weather. Littlies begged to go on boats every day, so they're seasoned sailors now. :rotfl: We've let the 7 year old have a bit of freedom away from the house, to a nearby skate park (round corner and across the road), with his watch on and strict instructions to call back home every half hour, or come running back if he feels worried! Been a success, apart from a couple of times he didn't watch the time, but no problems, so the apron strings are a little looser now - my next to last baby starting to grow up! :(

Almost warm here, but there's definitely a back-endish feeling in the air, and the trees have that haze on them when the colours are just going to change - I love autumn so much, and we plan to go to Westbirton Arboretum this year, if we can.

Many congratulations to those whose children or students did well in their exams, hugs to you who were ill or in hospital - this is one of those threads that feels like picking up a dropped conversation with an old friend!

Happy Friday, everyone!

A xo
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • jlhmd666
    jlhmd666 Posts: 543 Forumite
    Right someone asked for the relish recipe..here it is.

2lb ripe tomatoes
    2lb onions
    4 large garlic cloves crushed
    6oz sugar
    half teaspoon turmeric
    1 teaspoon paprika
    half pint white vinegar
    Skin the tomatoes,and finely chop.
    Finely chop the onions and mix them all together with the rest of the ingredients in a large pan.
    Bring it to the boil,reduce heat and cook it uncovered for 1 hour.
    Stir it now and then to stop it sticking.
    Transfer to warm jars and cover immediately with the lids.
    Leave it to mature for at least a month.
    It can be stored for 6-9 months.
    there you go..i always write on the calendar when i have made it and when its ready to eat,also i write on the labels how long it can be stored for and the dates.
    ftm

Thank you for this, I will add the recipe to my little book and aim to make it next week after a visit to the markets :)
    2016 Grocery Challenge January: £296.20/£300 February: £262.05/£300
  • hoglet121
    hoglet121 Posts: 658
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Morning all :-)

First day of spring here and the weather is DISGUSTING! Typical! We had a very wet weekend - had to finish all the drying off in the tumble dryer, and most of the bedding had to be dried in the tumble dryer too. Boooo!

DH got his first batch of homebrewed beer bottled this weekend, so in a few weeks Iwe'll be sampling that. Next batch is furkling away in the garage.

Bad rugby weekend - our team lost the shield!

Cats spent the whole weekend snuggle dup with us on the sofa. They are no fools.

Not much to report - got some coursework done and I'm coming up to my first assessment. Eeek!

Hope you're all well and having better weather than us

Hoglet x
  • Evening all. Welcome back FTM, Cheapskate and VJsMum. I'm waving but my little smiley things don't work for some reason!

I made the green tomato relish - 6 jars bottled. No idea what is tastes like, it really is a disgusting sludgy colour however I shall ignore that. My tomatoes were more minced than I had planned. I bought one of those little Ninja chopper things and it is brutal. The press bit stuck down and I thought I was getting puree!

I now have quite a lot of apples sliced and frozen in zip lock bags. Seemed to work well and they are not taking up too much freezer space.

Also made plum jam yesterday -badly it would seem - it would run from here to London and back however I bottled it anyway. I can use it as a compote type thing at some stage.

Have planted up some winter turnip seeds although keeping the birds away is proving difficult. I need to see what I can plant in the next 10 days or so for winter harvesting. We are off across the pond at the end of next week for a few weeks so whatever I plant will need to be pretty self sufficient. My mum will water my (green) tomatoes for me however she will definitely forget the raised beds. Any suggestions for winter crops welcome :)

I'm sure I had lots to update everyone on and now my mind has gone blank. It's been a long day so I must just be tired. I definitely had some questions so I'll probably be back tomorrow when I remember!
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
  • I had the opposite problem with my chilli jelly Scottishminnie. Having been notorious for making it far too runny in the past I wanted to make very definitely sure this one set. And set it has!

Ah well, a tablespoon of it adds a nice background flavour to curries.....
  • Save your apple peelings and cores and keep them for making jams and jellies. If you tie them up in a piece of muslin and cook them in with the jam you're making they are a good source of natural pectin and will set your preserve. It's very easy to take them out when it is at setting point as they're contained in the cloth. It doesn't matter if they've been in a tupperware in the fridge for a couple of days and gone brown either, they work and won't affect the flavour of the other fruit you've used. Then they can go on the compost heap as normal, win-win all round.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure