PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    caronc wrote: »
    I've a pukka pie coming with my shopping in a bit but will save that for tomorrow night as for reasons unknown a pie feels more like a Friday night "treat" kind of dinner:)

I do that with food.... if it's a treat I save it until a time/day when I can give it my fullest attention and feel I ate it on "the most appropriate/correct day". So close to a Friday I'd have waited too.

I've gone off Pukka pies in recent years as the fillings weren't as moist or chunky .... but the huge family pie I ate the other week (in four sittings I'll remind people) was VERY nice, which I hadn't expected.

Having had two part-baked rolls earlier, with cheese/branston ... I couldn't think of anything better for tea, so I cooked up the other two from the pack and I boiled my final egg and made an egg/salad cream filling for one of the rolls ...the 4th/final roll is foil wrapped in the fridge now until I either work out what exciting thing to fill it with ... or just nuke/warm it and shove a blob of marg in it :)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I do that with food.... if it's a treat I save it until a time/day when I can give it my fullest attention and feel I ate it on "the most appropriate/correct day". So close to a Friday I'd have waited too.

I've gone off Pukka pies in recent years as the fillings weren't as moist or chunky .... but the huge family pie I ate the other week (in four sittings I'll remind people) was VERY nice, which I hadn't expected.

Having had two part-baked rolls earlier, with cheese/branston ... I couldn't think of anything better for tea, so I cooked up the other two from the pack and I boiled my final egg and made an egg/salad cream filling for one of the rolls ...the 4th/final roll is foil wrapped in the fridge now until I either work out what exciting thing to fill it with ... or just nuke/warm it and shove a blob of marg in it :)

I still enjoy a pukka pie as an odd treat :) I like the part baked rolls split and topped like pizza very moreish :)
  • PasturesNew
    caronc wrote: »
    I still enjoy a pukka pie as an odd treat I like the part baked rolls split and topped like pizza very moreish

As many others find, when you cook for one you do end up repeat buying something and eating it to death for weeks/months before suddenly dropping it ... and part-bakeds were one of my "things" 3-4 years ago. I was getting through a couple of 2-packs of baguettes each week. I made a lot of pizza bases with them, as well as all sorts of baguettes .... and topping them with spag bol too.

They're really an under-rated and under-used product imho.

They keep for months ... way beyond the date on the packet - and are fast and tasty.

2p max electricity to heat/cook them too with the little toaster oven :)
  • Willowx
    Willowx Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Evening all just had a small portion of ravioli which I'm thinking i didn't divide up equally. I have some tuna and onion in the fridge so think will have that in a bit. Going out later to the late showing of Moonlight.

Quiz went well last night we drew with the other team from our department which was probably for the best. We never had curry at my school but the curry that was served put me in mind of school dinners. Two vats, a thing of rice, a heap of poppadoms and some small round things vaguely reminiscent of naan bread. Queued up and stated chicken or vegetarian and it was dolloped in a polystyrene box. Was tasty.
  • PasturesNew
    We had curry at school, I remember it being chicken curry and being green coloured, but it wasn't "Thai Green".... it was the sort of curry you'd get if you just cooked chicken, onion, some other bits and bobs with a stock sauce made from an Oxo cube, containing curry powder and thickened with a little flour. It was nice. Served with plain white rice.
  • caronc
    Willowx wrote: »
    Evening all just had a small portion of ravioli which I'm thinking i didn't divide up equally. I have some tuna and onion in the fridge so think will have that in a bit. Going out later to the late showing of Moonlight.

Quiz went well last night we drew with the other team from our department which was probably for the best. We never had curry at my school but the curry that was served put me in mind of school dinners. Two vats, a thing of rice, a heap of poppadoms and some small round things vaguely reminiscent of naan bread. Queued up and stated chicken or vegetarian and it was dolloped in a polystyrene box. Was tasty.

Glad you had a good night and the mystery curry was tasty :)
    We had curry at school, I remember it being chicken curry and being green coloured, but it wasn't "Thai Green".... it was the sort of curry you'd get if you just cooked chicken, onion, some other bits and bobs with a sauce containing curry powder. It was nice. Served with plain white rice.
    I remember curry like that from Guide camps :)
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    As many others find, when you cook for one you do end up repeat buying something and eating it to death for weeks/months before suddenly dropping it ... and part-bakeds were one of my "things" 3-4 years ago. I was getting through a couple of 2-packs of baguettes each week. I made a lot of pizza bases with them, as well as all sorts of baguettes .... and topping them with spag bol too.

They're really an under-rated and under-used product imho.

They keep for months ... way beyond the date on the packet - and are fast and tasty.

2p max electricity to heat/cook them too with the little toaster oven :)

Another vote for these here they are so handy, I cant eat a lot of bread so when the craving for crusty gets too much I just cook one and freeze the other rather than go and buy a huge baguette eat the lot and suffer lol.
    Slimming World at target
  • caronc
    Well decision made I'm going to make garlic mushrooms and spaghetti:) I've loads of mushrooms so that'll make a dent in them and a couple of straggley spring onions needing used up so true CFO dinner tonight;)
    I've treated myself to some Jordan's muesili but it was on special offer and some dried fruit to boost it. I'm getting fed up of toast as my breakfast option (though should have thought about that before and cancelled the loaf in my order:() and I'm not generally hugely keen on breakfast cereals so hopefully I'll enjoy the change:D
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    caronc where in Clapham were you. I spent a lot of time there in the late '80's and early 90's.

Back to CFO...no idea what's on the menu tonight...still thinking about it?
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • caronc
    karcher wrote: »
    caronc where in Clapham were you. I spent a lot of time there in the late '80's and early 90's.

Back to CFO...no idea what's on the menu tonight...still thinking about it?

Larkhall Rise just off the Wandsworth Road, I shared what had been the maids' flat in a rather grand but slightly faded house. My landlady rented this out for some extra to supplement her pension. Was fun times :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure