Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • myxbox
    • By myxbox 2nd Jul 15, 10:48 AM
    • 231Posts
    • 20Thanks
    myxbox
    Origin Broadband - any good
    • 2nd Jul 15, 10:48 AM
    Origin Broadband - any good 2nd Jul 15 at 10:48 AM
    MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

Origin is included in our Cheap Broadband guide where we currently say feedback is mixed (as at March 2017). Take a look at our research: Origin Broadband

Back to the original post...

-----

Hi there , am thinking of moving to Origin Broadband , firstly for adsl then fibre

my exchange is a 21CN , market 1 BTW only

how do others find the service and support .

Given what the say here "Origin operates one of the largest networks in the UK, this means we have more than enough capacity so we never need to throttle your connection, limit you or slow you down"

Has any one ever suffered slow speeds with them

many thanks
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 28-03-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Page 1
    • mrchagle
    • By mrchagle 10th Feb 16, 12:04 AM
    • 521 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    mrchagle
    • 10th Feb 16, 12:04 AM
    Origin Broadband...
    • 10th Feb 16, 12:04 AM
    Hi All

I am currently with Sky (Fibre) but looking for a change.

I found Origin Broadband - https://www.originbroadband.com

They look good, and what appear to be excellent pricing compare to Sky.

Looking at their checker, I can get the 38MB service which is pretty much the same as Sky.

What upload speeds do they day? 40/10?

More to the point, are they good?

Thanks all.
    If I've help in anyway, please remember to thank me :-)
    • robin58
    • By robin58 10th Feb 16, 1:49 AM
    • 1,644 Posts
    • 1,581 Thanks
    robin58
    • 10th Feb 16, 1:49 AM
    • 10th Feb 16, 1:49 AM
    I am more worried about the fact I have never heard of them.

Have you Googled them yet?. Do not go by what they say on their website.

Also have a look on www.thinkbroadband.com

This where a lot of people share their feelings in forums about the services and reliability of broadband companies ect.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 10th Feb 16, 9:23 AM
    • 9,436 Posts
    • 3,851 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 10th Feb 16, 9:23 AM
    • 10th Feb 16, 9:23 AM
    Origin one or two posts/ comments on the board .
    • JenniferK
    • By JenniferK 10th Feb 16, 9:36 AM
    • 212 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    JenniferK
    • 10th Feb 16, 9:36 AM
    • 10th Feb 16, 9:36 AM
    Went from Plusnet to Origin. Very happy.

Took 76MB fibre package. Was on similar with Plusnet. I find that the speed has increased from 50Mb (Plusnet) to 70MB. It is a nice stable connection with no traffic management, or any limitations whatsoever.

Customer service is based in UK and easy to get hold off (compared to 45-60 minute hold with Plusnet).

Very much recommend them. I would also point out that its possible to haggle with them when joining.
    Last edited by JenniferK; 10-02-2016 at 9:40 AM. Reason: Additional Info
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 22nd Oct 16, 1:52 PM
    • 7,582 Posts
    • 1,747 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 22nd Oct 16, 1:52 PM
    Origin Broadband
    • 22nd Oct 16, 1:52 PM
    I see that a new supplier has appeared on the scene "ORIGIN BROADBAND"
    Has anyone any experience of them ?
    They offer a 76Mb fibre service (inc line rental) at £27 per month for 18 months !
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 22nd Oct 16, 2:46 PM
    • 345 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    Mister G
    • 22nd Oct 16, 2:46 PM
    • 22nd Oct 16, 2:46 PM
    I joined them at the beginning of September from Plusnet. PN would not offer a deal on their mid contract price rise, so I left without having to pay an ETC. I was perfectly happy to stay with PN if they could match the Origin deal.

The changeover was seamless, went to bed one night, new service on first thing in the morning.

I'm on their 38Mb fibre, but we only get 18Mb download anyway due to our long line length. This was the same speed as PN, but the Origin upload is 3Mb against PN's capped 2Mb. The service seems very stable and there is certainly no perceptible throttling or traffic shaping.

They offered a fixed upfront 18 month deal including anytime calls and caller ID for £520. This may not suit some people but, because I paid upfront, there will be NO increase or any further charges for me over the 18 month period.

The UK based service desk answer the phone within a couple of rings and their email correspondence has been similarly swift.

Early days, I know, but so far so good.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 22nd Oct 16, 2:54 PM
    • 7,582 Posts
    • 1,747 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 22nd Oct 16, 2:54 PM
    • 22nd Oct 16, 2:54 PM
    I joined them at the beginning of September from Plusnet. PN would not offer a deal on their mid contract price rise, so I left without having to pay an ETC. I was perfectly happy to stay with PN if they could match the Origin deal.

The changeover was seamless, went to bed one night, new service on first thing in the morning.

I'm on their 38Mb fibre, but we only get 18Mb download anyway due to our long line length. This was the same speed as PN, but the Origin upload is 3Mb against PN's capped 2Mb. The service seems very stable and there is certainly no perceptible throttling or traffic shaping.

They offered a fixed upfront 18 month deal including anytime calls and caller ID for £520. This may not suit some people but, because I paid upfront, there will be NO increase or any further charges for me over the 18 month period.

The UK based service desk answer the phone within a couple of rings and their email correspondence has been similarly swift.

Early days, I know, but so far so good.
    Originally posted by Mister G
    I am on TT large fibre (80Mb upstream - 20Mb downstream) - this is the actual speeds that I get - I am 100 yards from the roadside box !!
    I currently pay £27.70 inc line rental but this will go up by around £7.50 next month !!
    • Giliador
    • By Giliador 4th Nov 16, 1:29 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Giliador
    • 4th Nov 16, 1:29 PM
    Origin Broadband don't offer 14days money back
    • 4th Nov 16, 1:29 PM
    Hello

Few days a go I've joined origin 15mb broadband after connecting router I discovered that internet keep dropping and real speed is around 5mb, Im still within 14 days but I have been informed by Origin that once line is connected I would have to pay cancellation charge of £360 where monthly coat is only £18, I don't know where to go with this but do they have the right to refuse the 14 days policy?
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 4th Nov 16, 3:05 PM
    • 2,738 Posts
    • 1,889 Thanks
    lee111s
    As far as I know, all ISP's only allow you to cancel up to the point of activation.

If you have a fault you need to allow them resonable opportunity to fix it.
    • baldelectrician
    • By baldelectrician 6th Nov 16, 3:12 PM
    • 2,080 Posts
    • 1,274 Thanks
    baldelectrician
    After looking at the Origin website it states that they adhere to the Ofcom code of practise

Give them a call and point out that the COP states you can leave without penalty.

The COP states
    d. The ISP must give equal prominence to the fact the customers will have the ability to leave their contract without penalty if: i. The customer receives an access line speed which is below the minimum guaranteed access line speed; and
    ii. The measures set out in the 4th principle have been taken but the issue has not been resolved. This right does not affect the customer’s statutory or contractual rights.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0028/85780/Broadband_Speeds_Code_June_2015.pdf

baldly going on...
    • jem16
    • By jem16 7th Nov 16, 10:02 AM
    • 18,530 Posts
    • 11,322 Thanks
    jem16
    Hello
    Few days a go I've joined origin 15mb broadband after connecting router I discovered that internet keep dropping and real speed is around 5mb,
    Originally posted by Giliador
    The speed quoted is usually up to and not everyone will get that as it's dependent on how far you are from the exchange. What guaranteed minimum speed were you quoted?

Im still within 14 days but I have been informed by Origin that once line is connected I would have to pay cancellation charge of £360 where monthly coat is only £18, I don't know where to go with this but do they have the right to refuse the 14 days policy?
    The 14 days cancellation policy is from when the order was placed and not when the line was connected. When did you place your order?
    • boatman
    • By boatman 7th Nov 16, 12:01 PM
    • 3,287 Posts
    • 2,319 Thanks
    boatman
    The 14 days cancellation policy is from when the order was placed and not when the line was connected. When did you place your order?
    Originally posted by jem16
    Its a ridiculous rule when its normal to take 2 weeks for a fibre line to be fitted. Only really applies to ADSL lines. It really ought to be 14 days from when its fitted.
    • Giliador
    • By Giliador 7th Nov 16, 8:22 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Giliador
    Under EU Consumer rights it's from the day you receive item or service, Internet has been connected on the 27th Modem arrived on 26th. No matter what the speed is, even if it was 70Mb you still have the right to cancel you order without cancellation cost, under 14 days cool off period

The speed quoted is usually up to and not everyone will get that as it's dependent on how far you are from the exchange. What guaranteed minimum speed were you quoted?

Originally posted by jem16
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 8th Nov 16, 1:56 AM
    • 25,273 Posts
    • 10,033 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    You need to brush up on your EU consumer rights.

Since June 2014, the Consumer Contracts Regulations have applied to contracts sold at a distance, including broadband services. These extend the distance selling ‘cooling off period’ to 14 days. This period starts either when you receive written confirmation of your contract, or when the broadband service starts to be supplied

The 14 days can start sooner than the service start date. You missed out on that one. Internet connected on the 27th so i assume you ordered weeks before that, well over 14 days.

What speed were you told you would get? Also the speed initially will go up and down a lot depending on the wiring to your home, the disconnections maybe a part of that, its finding the best speed for a reliable connection.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Giliador
    • By Giliador 8th Nov 16, 8:02 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Giliador
    These extend the distance selling ‘cooling off period’ to 14 days. This period starts either when you receive written confirmation of your contract, or when the broadband service starts to be supplied
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    I never received written confirmation of the contract, I accepted terms and conditions on website and no contact has been made by origin, no email no confirmation when service will be provided, had to call them and ask. And again even if I was outside the 14 days, which I wasn't, customer service didn't say you are outside the 14 days he said we DO NOT OFFER 14 days cool off which is against the law therefore contract can be canceled.
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 8th Nov 16, 9:50 AM
    • 2,738 Posts
    • 1,889 Thanks
    lee111s
    Good luck with that one
    • softmind82
    • By softmind82 9th Nov 16, 12:40 AM
    • 135 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    softmind82
    Originbroadband feedback please
    Finishing my broadband deal with plusnet, had terrible experience on and off connection drops a lot.

Now time to switch and thinking about originbroadband.

Has anyone been customer with origin please share your feedback.

Thanks
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 9th Nov 16, 2:56 AM
    • 25,273 Posts
    • 10,033 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    You accepted the terms on the website which is written is it not?

Contract in writing on the webpage where you agreed to it and created the order, starting your 14 day countdown.

Just checked their website and it seems you ticked that you agreed to their terms and conditions on the payments page. So your claim not to have seen the terms and conditions wont really hold up.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

• forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 9th Nov 16, 2:59 AM
    • 25,273 Posts
    • 10,033 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    If the issue is the wiring between you and the exchange then swappiung ISPs will probably leave you in the same position.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,171Posts Today

7,258Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin