Everything & Anything New York City

Options

Comments

• thatsfabulous
    thatsfabulous Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    edited 4 March 2012 at 4:58PM
    Options
    M4RKM wrote: »
    So you made a mistake and won't ever fly an airline again because you "got shouted" at. I find it funny. I never drink coffee on an airplane so at least will never get "shouted at" because I refused "creme" and then wanted "creme"

I also don't see how BA's complimentary food/drink is any different from what Delta offer (free food, beer, wine, etc on both), and 23KG is still 23KG on Delta and BA.

Lots of flights each day is the ONLY difference in the airline, with BA flying 6 times daily from LON - NYC and Delta only fly 3 times daily.

My point being, this is why choosing an airline to fly with is difficult and asking people on the internet makes it even more so. Petty reasons not to fly with airlines ever again, apart from the fact that they offer exactly the same service.

So, with the reviews you've had, 1 recommendation of Delta, 1 person being shouted at on Delta, and 1 person being shouted at on BA, you're still no further on.

I've flown all airlines that have been mentioned and none offer anything significantly different, and they're all much of a muchness. I book either Delta because they offer more legroom than any other TATL carrier, or if they're substantially more expensive, I book whoever is cheapest.

Mark you seriously don't think that this is the reason I won't fly Delta again do you?
    If you do then that is funny.

As I also posted the airport experience was awful and a very long story. I only mentioned about the 'cream' as It was an example of the attitude some of the US staff have. It is very unprofessional to shout at a passenger regardless of the reason. Just a simple 'yes madam' was required not to be shouted at as I misheared it's very bad customer service.

The op asked for peoples airline preferences not for someone to make the decision for him/her which airline to chose. I taken my time to tell her my preference and share my experience regardless if it is different to yours or anyone else's that was MY experience so please don't pick at it and make out I am wrong when you don't know the full story.
    New York ♥..........These street will make you feel brand new, Big lights will inspire you.
    No place in the world that can compare ♥ 2nd October 2010 ♥
  • Saint_Chris
    Saint_Chris Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.affinia.com/New-York-City-Hotel.aspx?name=Shelburne-Murray-Hill

for anyone looking for a good deal i got one booking direct with the hotel, plus it's a cancellable rate
    just waiting for the flights to come down now.
  • KK22_2
    KK22_2 Posts: 307 Forumite
    Options
    kathryn2 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

So, I'm off to New York in mid-May for my 30th birthday, staying six nights. I managed to get a flight with airmiles before they changed the Avios system, but my three friends had to pay for theirs. So my hotel budget was always going to be higher than theirs! Unfortunately the budget they came up with was sub-£600 each for 6 nights - which either meant going for Hotwire/Priceline or staying outside of Midtown, and as it was a couple of people's first time in New York, they wanted to be central. We looked at MSE-favourite Cosmopolitan, but that was too expensive.

So, we went for Hotwire, knowing it was a risk. We want a bed each, so we searched for 4 people in each room, thinking that for 4 adults a room has to have two beds. We found what looks like a fabulous deal - £1590 for two rooms, less than £400 each! We went for it.

We got the Holiday Inn Midtown, which we thought must be fine, since Holiday Inns have a pretty set standard. But then I made the mistake of reading some TripAdvisor reviews last night. Eeek! Bedbugs, mice in the rooms, unhelpful service, overcharging, rooms stinking of ciggarette smoke, noise, and one person who had booked 3 rooms through Priceline for 10 people being given 3 King Bed rooms and having to kick up a fuss to get moved.

So I'm now thinking we've fallen into the 'too good to be true' trap, and am berating myself for being incredibly stupid and not insisting that we pay more for a hotel and I cover the extra cost.

So, really, I just wondered if anyoine else has stayed in Holiday Inn Midtown and can reassure me that it won't be all that bad! Or booked rooms through Hotwire and managed to score two beds in the room.

I've stayed in the Holiday Inn Midtown and it's fine!!!!!!

Honestly, dont worry. I won my hotel stay there and when i read the reviews, i even panicked thinking that free was still a bad deal! The hotel staff were very pleasant throughout our stay, despite numerous reviews saying that they weren't. The rooms were large by NYC standards, they were clean but there are some areas that need updating but they were getting renovated when we were there in march 2011. It's in a great location with plenty of imenities near by.

If you have any questions whatsoever, just give me a shout! DONT WORRY!
  • countrybum
    countrybum Posts: 439 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    M4RKM - thanks so much for the Long Island suggestions - they look great. One (well, 2!) more quick question, if you don't mind - how do you get into central NY and approx how much does it cost?

thanks so much
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    countrybum wrote: »
    M4RKM - thanks so much for the Long Island suggestions - they look great. One (well, 2!) more quick question, if you don't mind - how do you get into central NY and approx how much does it cost?

thanks so much

Subway-Think of it like staying in somewhere like Kilburn and visiting central London- Couple of bucks per journey -or you can buy a pass.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • mkgirl1981
    mkgirl1981 Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    i know this is probably of no interest to anyone lol but ... i have watched so much stuff based in NY recently its making me desperate to go back! im so jealous of everyone thats going
    i just needed to tell someone that lol :)
  • gregg1
    gregg1 Posts: 3,148 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    gregg1 wrote: »
    Daughter and friend are staying in NY in June for a week then travelling to Miami with Delta from JFK. Does anyone know, is there a way of pre-selecting seats with Delta or is it a case of doing it at check-in?

Anyone....?
  • thatsfabulous
    thatsfabulous Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    edited 5 March 2012 at 5:50PM
    Options
    Anyone....?
    Hi there
    Don't know if this is any help to you.
    Last time I flown Delta MAN-JFK-MAN I chose my seats online so they do offer seat selection. Not sure about New york to Miami but usually if you put in the confirmation number it will allow you to see/amend your flight details so you can then click on each individual flight and it should let you select your seats.

This link may be what your looking for it states 'Here's where you can check your itineraries for upcoming travel, check in online, select your seat, make changes'

http://www.delta.com/myitinerary/itinLanding.action
    New York ♥..........These street will make you feel brand new, Big lights will inspire you.
    No place in the world that can compare ♥ 2nd October 2010 ♥
  • M4RKM
    M4RKM Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 6 March 2012 at 3:24PM
    Options
    countrybum wrote: »

thanks so much

There is a bit of misnomer calling something Central New York City. If you look at a geographic area, drawing a big circle around it, then the centre, is nowhere near where you'd want to be. ;)

What you do mean, is how long it takes to get into Manhattan, where the tourist attractions are. That is quite easy, and probably less than 10-15 minutes on the Subway, and you'll be near Bloomingdales. Want to be the other end of Manhattan, well that could take up to 40 minutes (but it would also take the same amount of time if you were in midtown, and heading downtown.

If you're travelling on a MetroCard, each trip on a pay per ride one will deduct $2.25. There are no zones, it is per trip, and you can transfer once from subway to bus, or bus to subway. When you top up the MetroCard with more than $10, you get a 7% bonus.

However, if you're going to do more than 12 swipes over the course of your stay, purchasing an unlimited ride is cheaper, as this is $29 for 7 days. Rides on the AirTrain are NOT included though, and these need to be factored separately, to what is going to work best for you.

EDIT - CLICK THE LINK - This is a link to my MetroCard Calculator. http://m4rk.in/w0cFpe - If you click on this, you'll be able to enter the amount of rides you want to take, splitting it between all the different types of ride. Now, with a Pay Per Ride metrocard, they're good for up to 4 people, so maybe that with the 7% and adding on AirTrain fares (if you're coming into JFK that is), it might be worth to have one card for the party. Just type in the quantity of rides you need (2 people, airtrian twice = 4 etc etc etc), and then look at what you need to add on to a pay per ride. I'll let you made the informed choice.

Anyone....?

If they've got their delta booking, and it IS NOT a delta connection flight, then you should be able to log in online using the surname and booking reference and check the seat allocation. This should be available now, but may only be available 24 hours before the flight departs.

M
  • Saint_Chris
    Saint_Chris Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Options
    Do delta fly direct from manchester to new york?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure