Underwear Refund / TK Maxx

Hi Guys
I recently bought some designer boxers at TK Maxx, when I say recently I mean yesterday. I still have the receipt and all the boxes like new. They are not suitable and I would like to return them. My query is am I able to get a refund. I have looked at their website and their returns policy and all it says is "Pierced Jewellery" is not returnable... It doesnt say anything about underwear at all. So can I get a refund on unworn still in the box boxer shorts?
I no longer work for Natwest, I left in 2012. But i can't change my name..

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi Guys
    I recently bought some designer boxers at TK Maxx, when I say recently I mean yesterday. I still have the receipt and all the boxes like new. They are not suitable and I would like to return them. My query is am I able to get a refund. I have looked at their website and their returns policy and all it says is "Pierced Jewellery" is not returnable... It doesnt say anything about underwear at all. So can I get a refund on unworn still in the box boxer shorts?
    If you made the purchase in a store then you are entirely reliant on any returns policy they may have.

Here is their in store returns policy:
    How do I return something I bought in store?

It is very easy to return something you have bought in store. Return your purchase to us in store within 28 days of purchase with a receipt as proof of purchase for a refund.

Gift receipts can be used to return an item for an exchange or gift card but not for a refund.

Merchandise must be unused, have all tags attached and be in its original condition (including packaging and labelling). If you use the goods or remove or tamper with any of the tags attached to the goods, you will lose your right to return the goods under our returns policy.

Unless faulty, we are unable to offer an exchange or refund on pierced jewellery.

Gift cards purchased online are subject to separate terms and conditions. Please see for details

The above policy does not affect your statutory rights including your rights in relation to faulty goods.

Sometimes we have to refuse a refund or exchange usually because the item is outside the return period or is not in its original condition. Make sure you follow all the above to avoid any embarrassment.
  • Hi there thanks for the reply, that was the terms i also read yesterday online. That doesnt state underwear is non-returnable does it. What do you think my chances are? The boxers are as new and haven't been tampered with or had any labels removed. They are still in the same condition as when they were on the shop-floor.. I dont think they have a leg to stand on do they??
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    They are still in the same condition as when they were on the shop-floor.. I dont think they have a leg to stand on do they??
    As already pointed out, you have no legal rights to a refund and you are solely reliant on the store's Returns policy.

Having said that, if the underwear is still in sealed packaging and obviously unworn, I very much doubt a refund will be refused.

Make no mistake, though, they do indeed have both legs to stand on!
  • lammy82
    lammy82 Posts: 594 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If the goods were bought with a returns policy in place then that forms part of the sales contract and so the poster does indeed have a legal right to a refund within the terms of the policy. Doesn't he?
  • As already pointed out, you have no legal rights to a refund and you are solely reliant on the store's Returns policy.

Having said that, if the underwear is still in sealed packaging and obviously unworn, I very much doubt a refund will be refused.

Make no mistake, though, they do indeed have both legs to stand on!

Hmm, i'm confused because nowhere does it state you cannot return underwear. It's not as if i've had it for 3 weeks and worn them on a night out. I'm only here asking because of the grey area in the returns policy terms. My bugbear is it states pierced jewellery is non-returnable, i would expect that to also mention underwear but it doesnt hence my asking.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Hmm, i'm confused because nowhere does it state you cannot return underwear. It's not as if i've had it for 3 weeks and worn them on a night out. I'm only here asking because of the grey area in the returns policy terms. My bugbear is it states pierced jewellery is non-returnable, i would expect that to also mention underwear but it doesnt hence my asking.
    Where's the grey area?

Their returns policy seems quite clear to me.

To summarise it:
    1) Goods must be in exactly the same condition as when supplied,
    2) You cannot return pierced jewellery.

That's it, isn't it?
  • NatwestInsuranceMan
    NatwestInsuranceMan Posts: 29 Forumite
    edited 12 June 2017 at 11:19PM
    wealdroam wrote: »
    Where's the grey area?

Their returns policy seems quite clear to me.

To summarise it:
    1) Goods must be in exactly the same condition as when supplied,
    2) You cannot return pierced jewellery.

That's it, isn't it?

Yes i agree, so according to that i should be able to get a refund because they are in the same condition. I just wanted to get a second opinion because i know a lot of places have extra rules in place when it comes to returning underwear.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    As I said earlier, if the item is in obviously unused condition I can't see a refund being refused.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes i agree, so according to that i should be able to get a refund because they are in the same condition. I just wanted to get a second opinion because i know a lot of places have extra rules in place when it comes to returning underwear.
    Are they, have you tried them on or not?
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Are they, have you tried them on or not?

Aye, interesting question...

OP must have opened them! Can't see why OP would buy a pair of underwear, not open it and only then figure out that they didn't want them.... If OP hasn't opened them to inspect them, they should have made the decision not to buy whilst in the shop...

Feel sorry for the person who buys the returned pair (if OP gets a refund)!

I used to work for an online retailer when the old legislation was in place and we ALWAYS refused returns for underwear due to hygiene. Not sure if this has since changed mind you, or if we were doing it wrong. In that scenario the consumers had distance selling legislation which gave them more rights (but not applicable to your case).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure