UK Stockmarket 2009 and beyond

Comments

• Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 April 2009 at 11:59AM
    Yup I noticed JD Wetherspoon hit a 12 month high recently. Kicking myself for not trusting myself enough to invest in them back in November. Would've made a few hundred quid! Grr. I guess you live and learn.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • Retrospect is the enemy of trading, I could have quadrupled my money several times on lots of things I was watching but unless it makes sense in the moment of deciding theres no lesson to learn
  • StevieJ
    StevieJ Posts: 20,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Retrospect is the enemy of trading, I could have quadrupled my money several times on lots of things I was watching but unless it makes sense in the moment of deciding theres no lesson to learn

The sense it makes is the fact they sell cheap beer, I was in quite a smart one last week the cost £1.48 a pint :beer: In a recession what do people want :D
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
  • Masomnia
    StevieJ wrote: »
    The sense it makes is the fact they sell cheap beer, I was in quite a smart one last week the cost £1.48 a pint :beer: In a recession what do people want :D

Exactly my thinking in November, no one's going to stop drinking (if anything they'll drink more), they're just going to drink in cheaper places with more offers.

Yeah got a pint of Ruddle's Best for £1.49 last time I was in. To be fair I've probbaly saved in there as much as I'd have made on the shares :beer:
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • Hatone
    Hatone Posts: 71 Forumite
    edited 17 April 2009 at 12:41PM
    Most of the stocks are soaring at the moment (way too quickly I think). Lloyds bank has just smashed the £1 barrier.

I wonder if this rally is just a fluke or indeed the start of a bull market...... Citigroup has just reported its first profit.....
  • Masomnia
    Mmm I have to confess to feeling a little bullish this afternoon.
  • ozzage
    ozzage Posts: 518 Forumite
    I dunno about bullish, but this thread is certainly making me thirsty!
  • StevieJ
    Masomnia wrote: »
    Exactly my thinking in November, no one's going to stop drinking (if anything they'll drink more), they're just going to drink in cheaper places with more offers.

Yeah got a pint of Ruddle's Best for £1.49 last time I was in. To be fair I've probbaly saved in there as much as I'd have made on the shares :beer:
    Ah Ruddles that was the stuff, really nice.
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
  • StevieJ
    Hatone wrote: »
    Most of the stocks are soaring at the moment (way too quickly I think). Lloyds bank has just smashed the £1 barrier.

I wonder if this rally is just a fluke or indeed the start of a bull market...... Citigroup has just reported its first profit.....

Trouble is we don't know although traders are looking at 4200 for the Ftse for this one if it is a Bear rally. I think we were told that the banks lead us into the mess so the market will not rally until they start to recover, the news has been positive for them so far this year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure