Cheapest option for 'forwarding' phone line

I run my own business from home. I started forwarding calls to my mobile when I was out a few years ago, but I ended up just leaving it to divert as I'd forget to turn off diversion!
For a couple of years now all calls to my business line have always arrived at my mobile (great as I'm always called away from my desk to help with the kids etc, plus a phone on vibrate is better than a phone ringing round the house while the kids are young!)

Here's the thing: I pay line rental on this line. yet I rarely call out on it. Surely there's a better (cheaper) way for incoming calls to be forwarded without paying full price for a phone line?

I pay Talktalk value line rental (Soon to be increased to £190ish per year. Then I pay for mobile calls to myself on that line (With a talktalk mobiles boost)

I'm imagining some kind of local rate phone number masking service may be useful, but then I think perhaps the forwarding to a mobile will always be costly.
Then of course if I want to call out. If I don't have a real phone line it would need to be a VOIP call. How reliable are they?

I hope that makes sense to someone! I'm really unsure who to ask for advice on this, any providers I call will of course just try and sell me there system, so I thought MSE would be a nice unbiased groups of people's opinions!

Thanks

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    b3nb123 wrote: »
    I run my own business from home. I started forwarding calls to my mobile when I was out a few years ago, but I ended up just leaving it to divert as I'd forget to turn off diversion!
    For a couple of years now all calls to my business line have always arrived at my mobile (great as I'm always called away from my desk to help with the kids etc, plus a phone on vibrate is better than a phone ringing round the house while the kids are young!)

Here's the thing: I pay line rental on this line. yet I rarely call out on it. Surely there's a better (cheaper) way for incoming calls to be forwarded without paying full price for a phone line?

I pay Talktalk value line rental (Soon to be increased to £190ish per year. Then I pay for mobile calls to myself on that line (With a talktalk mobiles boost)

I'm imagining some kind of local rate phone number masking service may be useful, but then I think perhaps the forwarding to a mobile will always be costly.
    Then of course if I want to call out. If I don't have a real phone line it would need to be a VOIP call. How reliable are they?

I hope that makes sense to someone! I'm really unsure who to ask for advice on this, any providers I call will of course just try and sell me there system, so I thought MSE would be a nice unbiased groups of people's opinions!

Thanks
    They are reliable but the call quality isn't very good. I use SipGate.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure