Premium Bond Winner ?

Comments

• I had just less than £10k in bonds in 1996 - I have not bought any since but with auto reinvestment my holding is now £18k. I have had about three £100 wins, one £500 win and one £1k win, The remainder (over £6k) has been made up of £50 and £25 wins.

I have a theory that "won bonds" MIGHT , have more chance, than "bought ones", of winning in the first month, this is POSSIBLY because they are in a sequence of bonds where most aren't eligible (bought ones aren't in the draw for over one clear month). My theory is based on; three or four times I have won with bonds won the previous month - which seems way above laws of probability. i.e. a £50 block winning £50 or £25 within one month.

I'd be interested to hear if others have won with bonds won the month before.
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Random selection means that random events will happen, like winning numbers picked twice in a row. If this didn't happen sometimes, it would be an indicator that selection was not random. You are the exception that proves the rule. Enjoy it!
  • Hello Trademark

I realise that you do not want to set hares running with a discussion on this point but I may help you to avoid a lot of number crunching.

I had significant experience of the Premium Bond system in a former life and can reassure you that every Premium Bond number (or more accurately speaking each £1 unit) stands an equal chance in every prize draw for which it is eligible, regardless of the value of the bond or the date when it was purchased.

The number of extant bonds has multiplied by an astonishing percentage over the last 25+ years, as at the same time, the stock of earlier eligible bonds (those bought in, say, the 1950s - 1980s) has diminished as people have died or had their holdings repaid. As a result, the incidence of older bonds winning prizes becomes an increasingly rare phenomenon purely because, statistically, they form an ever declining percentage of the eligible stock of bonds for any prize draw. Indeed, there would be something untoward, given the purchasing profile over the last 58+ years, if it older bonds were to form anything other than a declining percentage of winning numbers.

Finally, just as a point of interest, the prize draw is run independent of actual bonds (or Bond Serial Numbers for the sake of accuracy) in circulation. In brief, no numbers are entered into the draw so none can be left out. The system is unaware of the date of sale of any bond at the time of the draw.

I hope this is helpful.
  • Hi
    I won £25 two weeks ago on a bond I didn't know I had

My grandmother had purchased it for me in 1966 and this is the first time I have won anything
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Finally, just as a point of interest, the prize draw is run independent of actual bonds (or Bond Serial Numbers for the sake of accuracy) in circulation. In brief, no numbers are entered into the draw so none can be left out.

How do the prizes get allocated to bond numbers after the draw?
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have no problem believing that they sort the bonds into a sequential order, so that each bond has an order number for that draw. A fair random number generator simply generates an order (ordinal, or is it cardinal?) number within that range .

The doubt is if somebody's relative then overrides the system, and picks the bond of his co-conspirator as the jackpot. What if somebody can press a button that says "Skip", if the number the operator expects didn't get generated?

In Taiwan, there are official lottery tickets you can buy. The gangsters don't trust them, because some other gangster can rig it. They bet on the Lottery numbers from Hong Kong, so hopefully it's hasn't been nobbled. They bet like £1,000 on say two numbers, so it's not a ticket they buy.
  • Good luck everyone for tomorrow's draw
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    beetlebug1 wrote: »
    Hi
    I won £25 two weeks ago on a bond I didn't know I had

My grandmother had purchased it for me in 1966 and this is the first time I have won anything

Sounds similar to someone I know on facebook who said that there gran parents had bought them all £100 premium bonds on there 60th wedding anniversary. She had moved address then changed it and found she had won £25 a few years back. She was surprised
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    colsten wrote: »
    How do the prizes get allocated to bond numbers after the draw?
    It's my understanding that ERNIE generates bond numbers directly, but not just from those eligible, but from the whole range of issued numbers, and unissued numbers in partly issued series. Then ineligible numbers are skipped (but are recorded, and the auditors can check that they really are ineligible).

Perhaps Observer 22 can confirm?
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • Well I'm not a high value winner, fingers crossed for some smaller wins!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback