The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

How to transfer money to someone without name appearing?!

I want to transfer a small sum of money (around 500 pounds) to a friends bank account to repay a gift he gave me to help me out during tough times. He would never accept the money back from me and I do not want him to know that it was me who paid the money to him. When you transfer money between banks in the UK the deposit always appears with the name of the person who transferred it next to the reference eg something like JOHN SMITH Monthly Transfer - £100 hence if I transfer from my bank account to his he will automatically see my name.... I have thought about perhaps a BACS payment or pay pal or something but these cost additional money and again not sure if anonymous....Can anyone think of an easy way to transfer money between banks in the UK without your name appearing but just the reference apearing?? I wanted to put something like "CouncilTax Refund"....so he presumes it is just money back from taxes :) any help gratefully received.

Comments

• steelbru
    steelbru Posts: 127
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Could you not put some cash in an envelope and send it to them ( or put it through their letterbox when you know they are out if you live near ) ?

Type a note, and the address if you think they may recognise your handwriting
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,904
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Personally - I would just give it to them in person

I don't understand your logic (I know that is my problem) as I am sure you friend would be delighted you were in a better place now an could repay

Are you sure you haven't over thought/over complicated this
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    OP could ask their bank or BS for a counter cheque payable to the man concerned - then post it.

If the Pink Panther paid £500 cash into an HSBC account it would probably trigger an anti-money laundering enquiry?
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Ambassador
    transfers come through with the FPS indicator which is faster payment service your name will only show if you enter it as a reference, so you can put what you like as a reference. for example I had one today saying happy birthday.

Other way is to pay into his account over the counter which will show as a cash credit and no reference
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Westie983 wrote: »
    transfers come through with the FPS indicator which is faster payment service your name will only show if you enter it as a reference, so you can put what you like as a reference. for example I had one today saying happy birthday.

Other way is to pay into his account over the counter which will show as a cash credit and no reference

I transfer a lot between my bank accounts. Invariably, my name shows in the transaction details, and it is definitely not because I entered it in the Reference field as I never do.

In any case, the banks will know exactly where the faster payment (or SO) came from, even if they don't show the information in the transaction description.
  • semnome4747
    semnome4747 Posts: 5 Forumite
    In case of any doubt I am not looking for advice on money laundering, not quite sure that the MoneySavingExpert forum would be the right place for a "Master Criminal Money Launderer" to pick up tips...Also not quite sure that transferring money via First Direct to Nationwide is quite in the same realms as dodgy dealings between unmarked Bank Accounts in the Cayman Islands... :)
    I could of course send him the cash in the post or try a cheque but I wanted it to be completely anonmyous and for him not to guess, hence the idea of a transfer referencing "UK Tax Return" but with my name not appearing....The poster above is correct - at least whenever I have received money in my account it always comes in format JOHN SMITH - Written reference - Amount...Perhaps I could ring the bank and ask if possible not to include my name on the reference but pretty sure they will say its impossible.
    Appreciate the attempts at help, thank you all
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Forumite
    The 'anonymous donor' thing is a bit of a bad idea really. If you sent it implying it were a UK tax return, or council tax rebate which has no paperwork behind it, or an anonymous bank payment that randomly arrived in his account without him knowing why, and he has any sense, he would then be concerned that the money might be clawed back; or that he had to tell the tax office about it somehow when dealing with them in future, resulting in a lot of confusion... and he might put it to one side and not spend it always being nervous about when someone would ask for it back.

I can imagine if you sent him a cheque or physically gave him the money, he would refuse to cash it saying he doesn't need it, you didn't need to do that, etc etc. I have friends and relatives who would say the same, wouldn't dream of asking for repayment and wouldn't want you to feel you owed them, they have already mentally written it off etc etc etc.

The only classy way to do it is just be up front with him and honest about what you're trying to do.

Send it to his account as a normal bank transfer , reference 'thanks good buddy', which will appear on his statement with your name on it. Send him an email (as a written letter in the post is slow and might get there some time after he spots the money on online banking and confronts you about it). In the email say you don't want to make a big deal about being so grateful for him helping you out of a tough spot, but you really appreciate him being a good mate and you're now back on your feet so have put a little thankyou present into his bank account.

If he laughs and sends it you back saying he wasn't looking for repayment, laugh yourself and say tough, you're having it whether you like it or not, if don't need it in your bank account then please enjoy a weekend away or treat the wife or give it to another friend or relative in need - and just transfer it to him again :).

Unlike you trying to stuff a pile of cash into his hands, he can't stop the money arriving in his account, and he'll just accept that you want him to have it. He will understand you are a proud man that doesn't want charity and doesn't want to feel like you have to buy him the next 100 pints when you are at the pub together.
  • globalds
    globalds Posts: 9,431 Forumite
    Change your name to " Council tax refund "
  • amibovvered
    amibovvered Posts: 461
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Next thing there will be a new poster saying 'Someone has just paid £500 into my account anonymously, I'm terrified there is something criminal going on, please help!' :D
    I want my sun-drenched, wind-swept Ingrid Bergman kiss, Not in the next life, I want it in this, I want it in this

Use your imagination, or you can borrow mine!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure