Secunia PSI

Options
Ive been using Secunia PSI for a few years to keep my system up to date.
Just lately it warns me of out of date applications that I cannot get a newer version for and slo its "update now" feature doesnt always work.

Is there a similar, more reliable, free application?

I believe the paid-for Avast does a similar thing.

Comments

• UncleZen
    UncleZen Posts: 825 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No replies?
    OK to rephrase the question, what do other people use to ensure that their applications are kept up to date?
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    UncleZen wrote: »
    I believe the paid-for Avast does a similar thing.

The free Avast does a similar thing. :)

I prefer it to Secunia, although I haven't compared exactly what software each checks for.
  • alanrowell
    alanrowell Posts: 5,365 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rather than letting Secunia do the update, just let it tell you what is wrong then go to the appropriate software supplier and download it
  • hans_2
    hans_2 Posts: 420 Forumite
    Options
    Give Patch My PC Updater a try.It's portable so no install required.

Will search and update.
  • UncleZen
    Options
    @esuhl - I never knew that, I will look over the weekend!

@alanrowell - Thats what I do

@hans 2 - I will check it out

Thanks all
  • UncleZen
    Options
    Just looked at Avast, the free version "appears" to have a free app updater, but you have to pay to use it :-(
  • esuhl
    edited 10 March 2017 at 9:33PM
    Options
    Just looked at Avast, the free version "appears" to have a free app updater, but you have to pay to use it :-(

Huh? I'm using it in the free version. :-/

Have you installed the relevant component? You might need to add it via the installed program list in the Control Panel.

EDIT: Oh, hang on -- you have to pay to have it auto-update. Is that what you wanted? I always run it manually anyway, as I don't like my computer doing things automatically at random times.
  • UncleZen
    Options
    Yeah, I installed the component, ran it, it listed a couple of things, bit to resolve them your taken to a subscription screen.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't let any programs auto update. Several times updates have removed features that i use.

I use forums that are picture heavy and when trying to find a certain post its a pain to have to wait for tons of pictures to load. Firefox had a tickbox to select do not load pictures. They removed that, so i stuck with the older version until i needed a newer feature more than that. So i had to download an addon to stop pictures loading.

Same with apps on phones, I check the reviews before allowing them to update. All too often their bug updates turns out to be a major redesign and losing the functionality that i use and over the last year or so it seems to have riddled them all with tons of adverts.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• esuhl
    Options
    Yeah, I installed the component, ran it, it listed a couple of things, bit to resolve them your taken to a subscription screen.

Uh... No, you just click to update the programs that are outdated. I don't see any subscription prompts... :-/

You only need a paid subscription to have the programs automatically updated in the background. If you run the "software updater" scan, you can just click to update anything it finds that's outdated.

I must say, I'm not a big fan of Avast's UI, especially after they recently changed it. Are you sure you're not missing something?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure