PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Shredding documents cheaply?

2»

Comments

• Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    monnagran wrote: »
    Just tear the address or any sensitive information off the paper and drop the bits into a basin of water. After a few days sqeeze the water out and you will be left with a grey ball of papier mache. No words will be decipherable. Dispose of that.
    It costs nothing.

x

I nearly said that too, but thought, no it's too weird, it's only me doing that LOL :rotfl:
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I've got these too - they were cheap (else I'd not have them, so probably £1).
    Where did you get them from?

From one who has recently done 6 years worth of shredding :o
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    ive got a bush shredder, the brand not the plant! from argos about 4 years ago for around £20 and have had no problems with it, all the shreddings are used for bedding for the chickens and ducks. xx
  • I read a good tip on here to give ripped up paper to your compost bin (if you're a gardener) as the worms will deal with it.

There is a satisfyingly hefty shredder at work so I bring paperwork into the office.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    A lot of the cheaper shredders don't cross-cut and so are not that secure... as the strips can easily be put back together which defeats the object of shredding to protect your data.

Personally, I burn stuff in a garden incinerator but as the OP lives in a flat that would be difficult.

I'd recommend using the shredding scissors to destroy the sensitive bits of a document and then recycle the rest.

Or tearing off the sensitive bits of documents and burning them in a stainless steel bowl or food can (as suggested above) - done regularly, the 'fire' will last seconds.
    :hello:
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Regarding the shredding scissors, I know I might be stating the bleedin' obvious but.... use them as cross cutters to make sure the shred is effective.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aon06nTM0HE
    :hello:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    My shredder gave up the ghost last year and I resorted to just cutting off the ID bits and tearing them into tiny pieces the rest go into the recycling bag and get removed once a week by our dustmen.Cost effective (costs nothing but time ) and efficient:):)
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I must admit, being too stingy to buy a shredder, I'm another advocate of just burning stuff. I'm too tight to even fork out on an incinerator, so I just use an old broken 10" flowerpot ( not plastic ! ), bung in a few sheets at a time, and I can deal with quite a wad of paper in less than 10 minutes. As long as you don't try and burn too much in one go, it disappears pretty quickly, and there's not even that much ash left over - what there is just gets dumped on the soil and watered in to stop it blowing around and making a mess.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure