guaranteed money in bank

can someone advise how best to spread my money between banks so that all is guaranteed. Currently with Santander.
Should i open accounts with other banks and if so what banks are separate from santander

Comments

• Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    paulpa66 wrote: »
    can someone advise how best to spread my money between banks so that all is guaranteed. Currently with Santander.
    Should i open accounts with other banks and if so what banks are separate from santander
    The limit is £85k per person, per institution. How you'll need to split your assets will depend on how much you have in cash and whether you are saving jointly with a partner.
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    edited 12 August 2011 at 9:41AM
    Read this link from the top of the page.

If you're under £85k, don't worry!
  • Note that one institution can span several brand names. The protection is limited to 85k across all the tied banks, not per bank.

Also, some foreign banks may use different limits, eg ING is protected up to 100k euros by a Dutch scheme

For all the details, see the MSE article : http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/safe-savings
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,498 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You can put 83k (leave space for a year's interest) in Santander, Halifax, Northern Rock, Coventry and Derbyshire safely and get around the best rates on offer now (although some of the ~3+% accounts may already be closed).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure