PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing - Tips and Quick Questions thread

Comments

• thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Yes you can feeze it ;)
  • janeym8
    janeym8 Posts: 529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i sometimes freeze the roasted BNS then make it into a soup at a later date mmmmmmmmmmmm

janey xxx
    LIFE IS FOR LIVING-I`VE LEARNT THAT THE HARD WAY
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Sorry if this has already been asked, can I freeze portions of peach cobbler and sago/semolina/tapioca puddings?
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • I have searched but can't find an answer to this...

I want to make pumpkin soup which has cream in it - can I freeze it and will it taste ok when defrosted?

Thanks
  • JillS_2
    JillS_2 Posts: 262 Forumite
    Olliebeak wrote: »
    I made dumplings a couple of weeks ago and had loads left over. I froze the remaining uncooked ones, but then wondered if this was really such a good idea after all.

1 - Has anybody on here any experience of freezing home-made dumplings?

2 - At what stage did you freeze them - before or after cooking?

I'm making some fresh ones today, but will decide what to do with the frozen ones later when I've seen what the rest of you say about them.

Many thanks - Ollie xx

Yes, I've frozen dumplings. After making up but before adding to the stew to cook. They were OKish but I didn't feel they rose anything like as much as I expected and I felt they were a little heavy.
  • I freeze cooked dumplings and they are absolutely fine. I have never tried freezing uncooked. Dumplings are so quick and easy to make that it had never occurred to me to freeze them uncooked. I'll be interested in everyone's views.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    bananabelly - you can freeze your pumpkin soup with cream in it subject to two provisos:

1. You may find that when you thaw it through it could tend to separate out but this can be cured by giving it a thorough whizz through to recombine the various elements.
    2. There's often little taste in pumpkins and freezing them in any form will probably reduce the flavour even more. Be prepared to taste-check after thawing and add a little extra something or other to spice it up a little.
  • Thanks Primrose, it sounds like it's not such a good one to make in big batches, or we'll just have to eat it fast ;)
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    Can you freeze smoked salmon? I love it and was thinking of getting a huge pack from Costco tomorrow - but I certainly won't be able to eat it all on my own and it'd be great to have on hand for pasta dishes etc!
  • Skint_Catt wrote: »
    Can you freeze smoked salmon?

You can, but dont leave it frozen for ages as it loses its texture and flavour ;)

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family