Tax Credit Overpayment Dispute - How to speed up process?

Hi

First post on here so hope you can help.

Last year I received a notice that I'd been overpaid tax credits by £1500 for tax year 2010/2011. I have disputed this as I told HMRC everything that had changed in my circumstances as and when it happened so don't believe I have failed in my duties.

Anyway, I sent my first letter of dispute to them and it took them FIVE months to reply...and they basically didn't give me any information just fobbed me off. So I replied straight away and asked for a response sooner than last time. Well it's now 4 months and still nothing. Whenever I phone they just say they will be in contact when someone has looked at it and they are very busy blah blah.

This is causing me so much stress as that kind of money is huge to us and I don't think I've done anything wrong.

Is there any way to speed things up? Someone I could phone who could get things moving? Just want to get it sorted so I can relax.

Thanks for any help.
Judy

Comments

• duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Contact your MP and ask for their help. Once they write a letter the case will be fast-tracked.

If you are not sure who your MP is -try this http://findyourmp.parliament.uk/
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • klolav
    klolav Posts: 892 Forumite
    I was just coming on to look for advice.......just received 3 letters, one 2009, one 2010 and one 2011. Overpayments of £59, £539 & £3895. Massive. Again, always told them all info etc so don't know where this has come from. Also if they believed we had been overpayed, why continue paying each year! makes no sense. V stressed and absolutely could never pay it bk in a year!
    Any suggestions on how to go about disputing? Judy- what did you write please?
    Many Thanks
  • krisskross
    krisskross Posts: 7,677 Forumite
    Have you crosschecked with your award notices for those years to ensure everything was correct?
  • rac060804
    rac060804 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Hi there
    Ive too just got in from work and have 3 letters on my mat !! 1 to say the payments have stopped, which my wife knew about. The 2nd was saying over payment for 2010, and the last going back to 2008 !!

How can they be claiming back money for over 4 years ago ??? My wife deals with this normally and always informs them of any changes. Ive personally been made redundant 3 times in this period and struggle to understand the claims for over 4 yrs ago !!!

My wife called them this evening, finally got through to them after being on the phone for 20 mins at around 7.55pm. The woman on the phone said she couldnt help and that she would put my wife through to the right department......and guess what, the phone went quiet and then the answer phone came on saying they were closed..........ARRGGHHHHH

Lets see what tomorrow brings ;-(
  • leromancer
    leromancer Posts: 37 Forumite
    Ahah we all got those letters today then! We apparently owe them £1454 :((( Just want to cry :(((
  • Judes1727
    Judes1727 Posts: 21
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I got the letter yesterday aswell asking for the full payment by June. I thought they couldn't ask for payment when there was an ongoing dispute? Will have to call and check 1) whether they've sent a reply to my letter from January, and 2) whether they can demand payment when there is a dispute ongoing.

God I hate this system. I am an intelligent person and have worked in accounts/finance all my working life and even I can't work out their bloody figures. Been told that we're no longer eligible for tax credits and to be honest I'm glad cause I can just do without the stress of dealing with it all.

For anyone thinking of appealing/disputing this site give you a good guide: EDIT - sorry wouldn't let me post the link as I'm a new user. Got it from this site though so just look under the Income Family Section to do with Tax Credits.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Will contact my MP if I get no joy.

Judy
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,277
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Forumite
    One thing to bear in mind is that you can end up with an overpayment even if you tell them everything straight away, and even if HMRC act on it straight away. It's down to the way tax credits are designed (ie not very well). This applies in particular to someone who loses their job then finds a new job a few months later.
  • Horsepower
    Horsepower Posts: 19 Forumite
    zagfles wrote: »
    One thing to bear in mind is that you can end up with an overpayment even if you tell them everything straight away, and even if HMRC act on it straight away. It's down to the way tax credits are designed (ie not very well). This applies in particular to someone who loses their job then finds a new job a few months later.
    But why does it take them years to realise there was an overpayment? That can't be right?
  • karren
    karren Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    can anyone help me, ive had 6 of the above letters this week for £3,000 so need to write a letter to dispute as its making me ill as on the phone I had no sense at all, anyone know of a templete leter????
    thank you x
    :A :j
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,277
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Forumite
    Horsepower wrote: »
    But why does it take them years to realise there was an overpayment? That can't be right?
    Don't know - they seem to be having a purge at the moment. I'd guess sometimes they can't trace people (if they've moved etc), sometimes an overpayment will be carried over to the next year and taken out of tax credits payments, but when tax credits end, eg because over the threshold as many people now are with the recent changes, they want it all back.

The worst cases are those where a couple have split but not told HMRC, as we've seen here quite often. Here they can be demanding overpayments back from someone who never themselves ever received tax credits at all!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure