Car Deposit Difference - What Would You Do?

2»

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,545
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Up until the 1960s windscreen wipers on Fords were vacuum operated, the faster the car went, the slower the wipers went!
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,663
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Jackmydad wrote: »
    Before automatic lights and wipers we never went anywhere in our cars if it was dark or raining. .

To be fair auto wipers the only feature I miss. having to tweak the stalk every couple of minutes on a journey as the rain changes is a nuisance. It's easy enough to do but I'd rather not.
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Up until the 1960s windscreen wipers on Fords were vacuum operated, the faster the car went, the slower the wipers went!

I can remember going somewhere with my dad. Must have been about 1967, and he had one of his usual old bangers a "Sit up and beg" Ford Pop. P - ing down with rain. Wipers were going like mad going up the hill at about 25 mph, but going fast(er) down the other side they were at a crawl.
    Herzlos wrote: »
    To be fair auto wipers the only feature I miss. having to tweak the stalk every couple of minutes on a journey as the rain changes is a nuisance. It's easy enough to do but I'd rather not.

I've actually not driven with them. Be nice if they work properly as you say.
    I'm not much on "auto" stuff in general, I'm not a Luddite, but I find that inevitably it ends up being "better" on manual.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Jackmydad wrote: »
    I'm not much on "auto" stuff in general, I'm not a Luddite, but I find that inevitably it ends up being "better" on manual.

I don't find that's the case with either lights or wipers, both of which seem to work pretty well on automatic in my last two cars, both Fiestas.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,684
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I don't find that's the case with either lights or wipers, both of which seem to work pretty well on automatic in my last two cars, both Fiestas.

I agree - I have no issues with:

auto lights
    adaptive lights - no need to change between dip and full beam
    auto cornering lights
    auto wipers
    auto fan speed - linked to climate control which is never off
    auto recirc - when pollutants/nasty smells are detected coming in
    adaptive suspension - reacts to the road surface
    auto braking when in cruise control going downhill

nor with the auto 8-speed gearbox

All of the above respond quicker to changing situations than I can, and it's only very very rarely that I would wish to override any of them.

Even the gear-box is linked to the sat-nav and knows when I am approaching a corner or roundabout and selects a gear in preparation/readiness.

I do have a problem sometimes with the stop/start which cannot see ahead and predict when the vehicles in front will move off again. I often switch that feature off.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,838
    Forumite
    agrinnall wrote: »

They tend to come on when its a little dull, if they followed the Highway code, I would have them on.
  • fiisch
    fiisch Posts: 509
    Forumite
    Oops - yes £226 refunded not £326... I was being a little facetious about the auto-headlights, but given her old car had it on and she hasn't been driving long, she was worried she'd forget (in fairness, I don't like how modern cars have backlit dials even when headlights aren't on, as this used to be a dead giveaway on older cars... Although some people still managed to forget, presumably as they never looked at the dials.)

I probably am being a bit awkward, but it's a principle - I feel like the deal has been made in bad faith, as they have not stuck to their word. I will call the dealer tomorrow to see if they are willing to rectify (I doubt it). Could it be worth a call to the credit card company to ask about a Section 75 request I wonder.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure