Sounds like a winner.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    pioneer22 wrote: »
    No Father around or not together
    Mental Health issues and on ESA
    Getting pregnant without due care as to how to pay for said baby

Sounds like a winner.
    I am not sure how you came to those particular conclusions, but if only 100% fit people with good jobs and the ability to afford children were allowed to become pregnant, the human race would be extinct in 2 generations. There is a difference between "not pushing your luck", which the OP appears to be doing with their employer, and having no right to a life. In the latter case, you have crossed a line. You have no idea what the OP's personal circumstances and decision making processes were, and having mental health issues does not make someone an incapable parent.
  • sangie595 wrote: »
    I am not sure how you came to those particular conclusions, but if only 100% fit people with good jobs and the ability to afford children were allowed to become pregnant, the human race would be extinct in 2 generations. There is a difference between "not pushing your luck", which the OP appears to be doing with their employer, and having no right to a life. In the latter case, you have crossed a line. You have no idea what the OP's personal circumstances and decision making processes were, and having mental health issues does not make someone an incapable parent.

Seems like there wasn't much due consideration or due care before getting pregnant in terms of how this baby is going to be funded.

The OP doesn't want to "confuse the benefits system" by letting the company push her out.

If you can get pregnant and look after a baby full time I don't see why you would be on ESA and not be able to work full time.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    pioneer22 wrote: »
    Seems like there wasn't much due consideration or due care before getting pregnant in terms of how this baby is going to be funded.

The OP doesn't want to "confuse the benefits system" by letting the company push her out.

If you can get pregnant and look after a baby full time I don't see why you would be on ESA and not be able to work full time.
    But that isn't what we are discussing, and it isn't up to us to decide this. The OP is on ESA and given how hard it is to get that now, we have to assume that their claim had been tested. And you could turn it on its head - despite being on ESA and entitled to sit at home doing nothing, they have opted to work and to try to get better so that they could work in the future. Given that the authorities know about the permitted work, they must see the OP being out and working as a positive thing. Which I do too.

That is all a very different thing than talking about a strategy that keeps the employer on board and positive about welcoming back the OP when - and if - they are able to return to work.
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 8 September 2017 at 8:13AM
    sangie595 wrote: »
    But it's a lovely place to work and just like family - said the OP previously - and all about family values. And the OP isn't after money. So I am perplexed why the OP needs to starts threads about their rights and not trusting them.

So no, it isn't normal to issue a P45. But I go back to my previous comments. The OP works a handful of hours per week, and only has a few months service. If they really want to start demanding their rights and dictating the law to the employer, then every bit of goodwill goes out of the window. And getting rid of the OP, pregnant or not, is going to become a target.

And Kayalana90. To go to a tribunal you first have to attempt to resolve the situation. And go through meditation. The fastest way to paint that target on your back is to "let then carry on" and attempt to go straight to a tribunal. Because all the employer needs to do is say "but she never said a thing, we didn't know she wasn't happy, and of course she can have her job when she gets back" and the matter is finished. But they will later dismiss her for something else entirely. It's also not "wrongful termination" because that is something completely different. And it's unlawful - illegal is something completely different. And it may not actually be either of those things at all. So your assertion as to what it is based on something you read on the internet - really poor advice. OP, don't even think about it. You are not about to win £500,000. I can guarantee you that if it were a case, and you don't have one yet, £5k would be a huge win for you. And you probably wouldn't even get that. More likely £1k or so, possibly, and a reference that will ensure nobody employs you again. People who think that waltzing into tribunals and coming out with huge payouts is common have never set foot in one!

_________
    edit - and oh !!!!!! - both of those links are US law. That is why there are $ signs in the articles! What on earth user is US law to the OP?

Calm down. Giving someone a p45 with the 'promise' of re hiring them because they are pregnant IS ILLEGAL. There is no 'special case' here. Meditation and trying to solve the issue would become null because she is getting FIRED.

They can word it however they like, but she is essentially being sacked on the promise of a new job (which they wouldn't have to honour as she'd no longer work for them offically) when she is ready to come back in a year and it's being done at her expense so they can save costs.

None of this is fair, and she'd have an excellent case.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • TELLIT01 wrote: »
    Unless I'm missing something, a P45 is only issued when employment terminates. On that basis, it does seem that they are pushing the OP out of the company, thereby avoiding the paperwork involved in making the MA payments.
    This link https://www.gov.uk/maternity-allowance/what-youll-get will enable the OP to work out what their MA entitlement would be. I can see no reason not to claim MA when in receipt of ESA.

I don't want to claim MA as they just deduct it from my ESA and I don't want to end up with not the same money as ESA can't cope with that. Things like this always confuse them
  • IAmWales wrote: »
    Erm ...

Best wishes for your new arrival.

I'm claiming what every child is entitled to child benefit and child tax credits! Every child is entitled? Regardless of being on benefits?

I'm on ESA, I don't have to be working but guess what I go out and work. I can't work full time but atleast I do the hours I can. Atleast I don't sit on my back side all day every day?
  • sangie595 wrote: »
    But it's a lovely place to work and just like family - said the OP previously - and all about family values. And the OP isn't after money. So I am perplexed why the OP needs to starts threads about their rights and not trusting them.

So no, it isn't normal to issue a P45. But I go back to my previous comments. The OP works a handful of hours per week, and only has a few months service. If they really want to start demanding their rights and dictating the law to the employer, then every bit of goodwill goes out of the window. And getting rid of the OP, pregnant or not, is going to become a target.

And Kayalana90. To go to a tribunal you first have to attempt to resolve the situation. And go through meditation. The fastest way to paint that target on your back is to "let then carry on" and attempt to go straight to a tribunal. Because all the employer needs to do is say "but she never said a thing, we didn't know she wasn't happy, and of course she can have her job when she gets back" and the matter is finished. But they will later dismiss her for something else entirely. It's also not "wrongful termination" because that is something completely different. And it's unlawful - illegal is something completely different. And it may not actually be either of those things at all. So your assertion as to what it is based on something you read on the internet - really poor advice. OP, don't even think about it. You are not about to win £500,000. I can guarantee you that if it were a case, and you don't have one yet, £5k would be a huge win for you. And you probably wouldn't even get that. More likely £1k or so, possibly, and a reference that will ensure nobody employs you again. People who think that waltzing into tribunals and coming out with huge payouts is common have never set foot in one!

_________
    edit - and oh !!!!!! - both of those links are US law. That is why there are $ signs in the articles! What on earth user is US law to the OP?

I wouldn't trust any employer who turns round and says we will give you your p45 and your not going to get your holiday. Yes family is a core value and up until now they have been brilliant with me at work and it's only this that is now a problem. I just wanted to know my rights And are they allowed to give me a p45 instead of maternity as well as not give me any holiday entitlement or accrue holiday

When I go on maternity leave I would have been working there over a year and I work 16 hours a week (which in my job is classed as full time- stated in my contract - others work less between 6-10 hours per week)

I'm not after money or taking to tribuneral money doesn't mean a lot to me. I just want what I'm entitled too. If I'm entitled to my holiday then surely I should get it.

And I also want to ensure I have a job to go back to as I love my job and couldn't imagine doing anything else
  • pioneer22 wrote: »
    No Father around or not together
    Mental Health issues and on ESA
    Getting pregnant without due care as to how to pay for said baby

Sounds like a winner.

Father is around and is supporting me throughout. This child was planned? Are people on esa and with mental Health not allowed children? Must have missed the memo

I know how I'm going to pay for this child by working. Some people on esa don't bother working as they don't have to but I do
  • pioneer22 wrote: »

I know how this child is going to be funded by me going to work. This is why I want to make sure I have a job to come back to? Yes I am on esa because I couldn't cope with working full time. But that doesn't make me any less of a human being and saying I can't parent

I don't want to confuse the benefit system by getting MA (the DWP have said on the phone to me it would and I would always need to check my payments)

I was looking for advice not being targeted
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport