Smart meters. SSE

Options
AndyPK
AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
I received a letter from sse suggesting I should call them to book a slot to have one fitted.

I certainly don't want one.

I intend to ignore. Will they send lots more letters?

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Mines fine, why dont you want one?
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    I intend to ignore. Will they send lots more letters?

Probably. I'd be inclined to be more proactive (if they have a 'free' phone number to call) and phone them to say you are not interested.

No point them wasting their time and yours :)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • berries
    berries Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm glad you mention about this as I've been thinking about getting one just not sure on the pros and cons yet.... time to get reading up on it
    1 /10 nsd 😀
  • matelodave
    Options
    What's to read up.

It's a meter that gets read remotely and saves you the effort of reading it and ensures that your bills are up to date and accurate. If you swap suppliers at the moment it wont be able to be read remotely so you'll have to read it yourself like you do at the moment.

It's not a big bogey man sitting in the cupboard - its a meter, just like the one you've already got that measures your energy consumption.

By refusing to have one, you wont save any money, neither will the rest of us but by having one your bills should be up to date and spot on which means you'll not end up with big over or underpayments - surely that's worth having.

In the end it's up to you
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    matelodave wrote: »
    Mines fine, why dont you want one?

Mine too. I really don't understand what all the full is about I had dire warnings from friends to avoid them at all costs Why?
    Slimming World at target
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My main reason is that, until they start fitting the new smart meters, if you change suppliers they stop working and some of them are much more difficult to read manually than the old ones AND you seem not to be able to use the in house display for meter reading as it does the gas in Kw & does not seem to work for long AND will not be replaced when it stops working.
  • matelodave
    Options
    badmemory wrote: »
    My main reason is that, until they start fitting the new smart meters, if you change suppliers they stop working and some of them are much more difficult to read manually than the old ones AND you seem not to be able to use the in house display for meter reading as it does the gas in Kw & does not seem to work for long AND will not be replaced when it stops working.

Is that personal experience or are you regurgitating hearsay
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Think my reasons are.

1. Its no bother for me to read the meter 4 times a year when requested.

2. I can't be bothered to wait around at home for an hour for no advantage to me. (2 hours if gas too)

3. I understand these don't always work when installed or When I swap energy companies.

4. If they rush and leave the connections loose I may have a house fire, which I would rather avoid.

5. I'll wait till things have been proved.

6. I'm happy that my current meter is accurate.

Advantages?

Well I guess you get an energy monitor built in for free, or maybe on an App?
    However I'm quite good at turning things off anyway.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 September 2017 at 12:34PM
    Options
    matelodave wrote: »
    What's to read up.

It's a meter that gets read remotely and saves you the effort of reading it and ensures that your bills are up to date and accurate. If you swap suppliers at the moment it wont be able to be read remotely so you'll have to read it yourself like you do at the moment.

It's not a big bogey man sitting in the cupboard - its a meter, just like the one you've already got that measures your energy consumption.

By refusing to have one, you wont save any money, neither will the rest of us but by having one your bills should be up to date and spot on which means you'll not end up with big over or underpayments - surely that's worth having.

In the end it's up to you

Well, for what it is worth my understanding and reasoning is as follows...

It seems to me utterly crazy that "smart" meters are still being installed that are not fully compatible between all suppliers.

Yes, you still have a "dumb" meter capability if you change supplier but, as I understand it, you are then well down the list to get your meters changed again so any advantage has gone for several years at least.

So, although you can still change supplier the loss of functionality is an obvious disincentive to do so. Little wonder therefore the suppliers are so keen to keep installing the first generation meters.

Everybody I know who has had one admits that once the novelty has worn off they actually pay less attention to their monthly consumption than they did before! I get an email once a month asking me to submit my readings. It takes a couple of minutes but that concentrates my mind on reviewing my usage.

I am old enough, sadly, to remember to conversion from town to natural gas and the poorly trained "engineers" that were sent to people's houses to convert appliances. In a later life I worked with somebody who did that job and he was the first to admit that what was going on was downright dangerous. I do worry that is maybe happening again as it seems people with minimal training are apparently considered safe and qualified to work on both gas and electricity at its most critical point.

Apparently, according to the letters, these same people will conduct "safety checks" on your gas appliances as part of the meter installation process. Even if we assume (charitably) that they are competent to do so the largest supplier in particular has a terrible reputation for falsely claiming that appliances are obsolete or unserviceable.

Although I take many of the scare stories with a pinch of salt, there are plenty of them about so some at least must be true.

So, overall, that is why I have said no and that I will not have them installed until they are fully compatible will all suppliers and the teething problems have been ironed out.

Despite the misleading information being put about by some suppliers, the OFGEN website makes it very clear they are not compulsory. Again this makes me question their real motives.
  • matelodave
    Options
    I also remember the conversion from Town Gas to natural gas and IMO it was a pretty well organised changeover. I don't recollect any major scare stories although I'm sure there were a few that didn't go quite to plan.

It was much more organised and effective than the shambles that's prevailing at the moment with Smart meters.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport