MSE News: Massive Equifax data breach - what you need to know

Options

Comments

• C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There are class action law suits being assembled in the USA for those who have been victims of Equifax data breach. What redress will UK victims have ? Surely this should be fertile ground for our hard pressed UK legal firms? After all, they have been ambulance chasing and PPI chasing for long enough so this should be easy ?
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    This is NOT scaremongering. That is taken from actual Equifax letters.

You are wrong, the information that has been compromised is as per Roubiliac's post. I got a letter today.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    There are class action law suits being assembled in the USA for those who have been victims of Equifax data breach. What redress will UK victims have ? Surely this should be fertile ground for our hard pressed UK legal firms? After all, they have been ambulance chasing and PPI chasing for long enough so this should be easy ?

I wonder if the UK T&C attached to the options being presented by Equifax as a solution contain the same restrictive clauses they tried to make stick in the US. The ones preventing people from taking legal action against Equifax.
  • Doc_N
    Options
    meer53 wrote: »
    You are wrong, the information that has been compromised is as per Roubiliac's post. I got a letter today.

I am most certainly not wrong. You can speak for the one letter you've seen. I am quoting from the two different letters I've seen and what I've said is 100% accurate.

Others will doubtless feed back accordingly.
  • sargeantsalt
    Options

I hate to break it to you folks, but... YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS!

'Your' personal info is not your property. You are a product, not a customer. You have suffered no financial loss as a result of the data breach, so there is no compensation.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I am most certainly not wrong. You can speak for the one letter you've seen. I am quoting from the two different letters I've seen and what I've said is 100% accurate.

According to Equifax, they spewed out more information about some customers than they did others:
    How much information has been stolen?

12,086 people have had the email address associated with their Equifax account in 2014 accessed. 14,961 people have had their Equifax membership details from 2014 accessed – this is likely to include username, password, secret questions and answers, and partial credit card details. There are also 29,188 consumers who had their name and driving license number accessed.

The rest - 637,430 - had their name and a phone number accessed.

[...]

What happens next?

For practical reasons, it will take us a little time to post letters to all 693,665 consumers but the correspondence is in process.

This letter is bespoke to each consumer group and details precisely what data has been compromised and what free services are available to help them protect their identity in light of this breach.

According to the letter I received Saturday, my name, telephone number and date of birth was accessed.
  • Doc_N
    Options
    I hate to break it to you folks, but... YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS!

'Your' personal info is not your property. You are a product, not a customer. You have suffered no financial loss as a result of the data breach, so there is no compensation.

An interesting viewpoint, but legally flawed. There may or may not be English solicitors looking to take this on with contingency fee arrangements (I suspect there will be) but the English concept of negligence, if established, is certainly wide enough to cover this situation, and damages are not restricted just to financial losses.
  • Mr_K
    Mr_K Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 1 November 2017 at 9:57AM
    Options

According to the MSE article for UK consumers, the information which may have been accessed is limited to:

Names
    Dates of birth
    Email addresses
    Telephone numbers

mine lists only 3 of those.

Not something you'd want anyone to have, but not enough to get into your accounts. Name and dob you can't change, and are publically avaiiable anyway at registry office/ electoral rolls. Email and phone, well guess lots might have that info on you anyway.

The main risk seem to be getting more phishing/ email scams - I get almost none of these anyway as i'm careful with data. Be interesting to see if they start now, suspect this letter might just be covering their backsides, I certainly won't be signing up to their service and giving them more of my data.
  • Doc_N
    Options
    Mr_K wrote: »
    According to the MSE article for UK consumers, the information which may have been accessed is limited to:

Names
    Dates of birth
    Email addresses
    Telephone numbers

mine lists only 3 of those.

Not something you'd want anyone to have, but not enough to get into your accounts. Name and dob you can't change, and are publically avaiiable anyway at registry office/ electoral rolls. Email and phone, well guess lots might have that info on you anyway.

The main risk seem to be getting more phishing/ email scams - I get almost none these anyway as i'm careful with data. Be interesting to see if they start now, suspect this letter might just be covering their backsides.

The MSE article is out of date and incorrect. Here's the updated Equifax UK link:

https://www.equifax.co.uk/incident.html

And here's an extract from it:

How much information has been stolen?

12,086 people have had the email address associated with their Equifax account in 2014 accessed. 14,961 people have had their Equifax membership details from 2014 accessed – this is likely to include username, password, secret questions and answers, and partial credit card details. There are also 29,188 consumers who had their name and driving license number accessed.

The rest - 637,430 - had their name and a phone number accessed.
  • Lauraclarke85
    Options
    I myself have received a letter this morning stating hackers have accessed my name D.O.B and phone number. This could expose me to risk of cold calls to attempt to defraud me.
    I have never used equifax but have used clearscore. I have been having unwanted calls for months so guess this explains it. I just ignore the calls and block the numbers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure