PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Comments

• I searched high and low for organic dried milk. I use about 4 1/2 tbs to make a pint and it has to be mixed like baby milk ie a bit of water to start. Great company btw, I have shopped with them for years

https://www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk/nsearch/?q=dried+milk+powder
  • Well I have to say this winter is going to be a very different one for me. I live in a 3 bedroom house with my partner and our room mate (long time friend), me and my partner will be expecting our first baby in the beginning of December, and I for one have been looking forward to these colder months having spent most nights with a fan pointed at me on full blast :p

Since i'm expecting a christmas baby ive forced myself to prepare for christmas early despite everyone saying "noone will expect anything from you, we all understand you'll be too busy" but everyone deserves presents at christmas!!! So i've pretty much done all my christmas shopping :D which is very unusual for me.

As for bargains I went to Dunelm Mill last week and bought a red chenille thermal door curtain that was knocked down to £10 from £29.99 cos the packaging had been opened, therefore shop soiled. Had a good look at it and its perfectly fine. Keeping my eye out for some window curtains in our local red cross and charity shops now, just been out to red cross and bought a nice cosy throw for £4 bargain. We've been collecting wood all year for the fire just need to get our order in for coal now, to be toasty and warm.

Happy to be following this thread :D
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,109 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks Kittie!
  • LB29
    LB29 Posts: 51 Forumite
    I found and bought a set of lined floral curtains for my bedroom today from one of the charity shops. They aren't long enough to go behind my radiator though. Has anyone made/bought one of those shelf thingy bobs that sit above the radiator and stop all the warm air from going up the back of your curtains. I already have a blackout blind just infront of that window. I find it makes a huge difference having both thick blinds and lined curtains. Still have a massive list but I'm getting there.
    November GC-£128.30/£200
    SPC9-#538
  • i never heard of the shelves before just the covers, would be interesting to know if they work, as my curtains just cover the top of my radiator thats below too. I think i'll get a thermal blind for the window if you think its worth it as well as as some lined curtains
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Not posted for ages however as we are currently debating over putting the heating on I need to get into winter prepping!

After a family dose of the cold I was so grateful that we had everything we needed in the medical kit so it has been replenished and a few other bits and pieces added.

What I really need now is a winter coat. I have lovely wool ones so what I need is knee length, waterproof and warm coat for wearing out and about. Does anyone have any recommendations?
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Rummer wrote: »
    Not posted for ages however as we are currently debating over putting the heating on I need to get into winter prepping!

After a family dose of the cold I was so grateful that we had everything we needed in the medical kit so it has been replenished and a few other bits and pieces added.

What I really need now is a winter coat. I have lovely wool ones so what I need is knee length, waterproof and warm coat for wearing out and about. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I've just bought a Peter Storm waterproof hip length walking type coat with detachable fleece, hood that folds into the collar and drawstring waist from a charity shop for £5-like new, very pleased.:T
    :j
  • toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I keep reading about how the winter is going to be the worst in 50 years etc.
    Anyone got any predication's?

It's driving in snowy/ icy weather to work that bothers me more than anything else at all.
    I have enough warm clothes, cupboards and freezer are always full, and the house is insulated as best as we can do it.

I have my "kit" to go in the car-well it never came out of boot really!
    First aid, cereal bars, bottled water (have replaced these) , high vis, orange triangle, blanket, extra jumper, old woolly hat & gloves, some £1 coins, another car phone charger.

My employer would like me to get to work if humanly possible-I work 20 miles away, and there are only 3 buses a day (if that) and there is no other office I can go to that is nearer.
    If it gets really bad I think I'd rather ask for unpaid leave than change driving in a blizzard-done this 2 years ago, and a 35 minute journey took me 3 hours and I was aching all over from being so tense at the wheel.
    :j
  • oh thanks for the reminder toozie, I clean forgot about the car kit. Shouldn`t take long to gather the bits together as they are still packed, just need to add cereal bars, chocolate and water. I`ll get the rest of my pellets and then I`ll put the kit into the car

I have some powerful makita batteries, to power radio, tools, strimmer, lights, so am remembering to re-charge as soon as they are used. I can rig up a useful light in the house in a power cut
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    No predictions from me - other than we will have rain and wind, at some point in the next few months, plus a small likelihood of snow between now and March ;) I like to hedge my bets haha

I'm lucky enough to be able to work from home - although it's not far for me, I'd rather stay out of the city in snow and be nearer home in case I need to collect the children. As long as my WIFI is ok, I can manage in my home office.

I put up my door curtains again this weekend, we are recently back from Spain and I have felt the cold ever since. Our hall way is chilly on an evening, as is the kitchen, so I have thermal curtains for doors and windows. Feels cosier now.

I've not really thought about much else, we have plenty of hot water bottles, insulation and whatnot from previous years. Just a case of ensuring I have enough of DD meds in case we can't get a prescription and checking the food cupboard.
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport