PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May: Pin Money Savings Challenge

Comments

• calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    catznine wrote:
    Hi Queenie!

and we are using your idea for getting through some of the blackberry preserve :D and making fruit corners! I reckon as it makes about 1pint (in one of those wide necked thermos flasks) that the saving must be about 50p as I used organic milk. It really is easy to do and I could now have an endless supply (I have a book somewhere with lots of recipe ideas for using yogurt!) Apparently I have to refresh the starter every few weeks by buying only a small pot of fresh live yogurt.

Catznine,

what brand did you get as I get confused once in the supermarket. Which one to buy as a starter. As I have borrowed my mums yogurt maker and fancy having a go.

Many thanks in advance.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    calleyw wrote:
    Catznine,

what brand did you get as I get confused once in the supermarket. Which one to buy as a starter. As I have borrowed my mums yogurt maker and fancy having a go.

Many thanks in advance.

Yours

Calley

Hi Calley!

I just used one of the supermarkets own brand natural yogurts but the yogurt was a bit thin so am now going to use Yeo Valley organic yogurt as this one is a thick one and should work better. Having said this the first batch was very edible! and it is fun to make! Good luck with the yogurt maker!
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am currently -£1.54 in my May PIN money cos I finally bought my ice cream maker. it was £21.13 in Costco & so far I have £19.54 saved in BOGOFs & multibuys. However it's the one that's £30 in Argos, so a bargain in itself.

Not much moneysaving to be done today - I'm waiting for my Mum to arrive so we can go to Costco, hopefully she'll spend more than me though (I wonder if I can still get away with putting things in her trolley like I did when I was a student......???!)

Edited to say that I spent no money at Costco & she spent £250! (None of it for me though......)
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have to set myself a PMS challenge, I need to save £65 before the end of June to pay for my New Age camp space.

So no unnecessary spending at all for me for the next month and any savings I can make in my PMS fund will be going towards this.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • lucky111
    lucky111 Posts: 17 Forumite
    HI, Im new here, iv been reading all the postings, and its very interesting, im going to have a go, and try the ideas of pin money,, hopefully you will be seeing me more, my first aim is to, walk to work, instead of the car, and that way it should help me get fitter.
  • lucky111
    lucky111 Posts: 17 Forumite
    I used my boots card, to buy tissues, toiletrys for when we go away. off my card and that helped
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Well I was doing ok with my PMS this month and had almost £20 :j ... until I got a visit from one of my older boys yesterday that is ... "Mum can I borrow some money please, I'm skint" :rolleyes: ... so I'm back down to a big fat zero again :doh:

Maybe I should charge him interest, although I'm not holding my breath waiting to see it returned :rotfl:
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• spendaholic
    spendaholic Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Well I was doing ok with my PMS this month

:rotfl: That sounds like a personal medical condition! (Sorry!)

I've tried this virtual pin money savings thing and can't get my head around it quite yet. I'll keep trying and no doubt the penny will drop.

At the moment all of my actual savings are going towards debt management. But we do have a few money boxes, and a big bottle, that we put the "shrapnel" in. I also have my own money box in which I put £2 coins. Misterholic still goes into a cold sweat when he has to put 50ps in one of the other money boxes. So this is my own savings pot that I am putting into a savings account to help towards the newly budgeted clothes allowance. £20 last month - but nothing much this month as I had to use it to help pay the windowcleaner :( (and before I get the "clean your own windows" PMs, the windowcleaner is going to be laid off as part of this money mangement thing).

See how useful I find this forum to be?

I keep saying it, but thanks (again) everyone.
    spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Is there a nice way of getting rid of your window cleaner? I want to let mine go too but I'm too much of a wimp :(
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • spendaholic
    spendaholic Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'm just going to say: "I'm really sorry, Tyrone, but we can't afford it for the time being. Can I give you a call when we can?"
    spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure