Governor work whilst being off sick

Options
2»

Comments

• anamenottaken
    Options
    As you are only a parent governor, there's no need for you to be there at all.

Your depression/anxiety appears to be 'selective'.

Parent governors have as much need to attend meetings as any other governor.
  • Cheeky_Monkey
    Options
    Parent governors have as much need to attend meetings as any other governor.

But presumably not when they are off sick from work with 'depression'. If they are too ill to attend work, I fail to see how they can be well enough to attend the meeting.

Depression is not something you can turn on and off like a tap when it suits you.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I'm certainly no expert on mental health issues. All I can say is that when I worked at DWP stress, anxiety and depression seemed to be used almost at random by many GPs. By that I mean that one med cert would have depression, then next stress, the next any combination of the above and all for the same person.
    Purely on that basis I would suggest it's not a good idea to attend any meeting which your employer might consider stressful, and I presume there are differences of opinion expressed at these meetings. They may well ask the question of "You can attend the governor meeting but not come to work, why not?"
    The only caveat would be if the medical certificate actually stated 'Work related stress'.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    I'm certainly no expert on mental health issues. All I can say is that when I worked at DWP stress, anxiety and depression seemed to be used almost at random by many GPs. By that I mean that one med cert would have depression, then next stress, the next any combination of the above and all for the same person.
    Purely on that basis I would suggest it's not a good idea to attend any meeting which your employer might consider stressful, and I presume there are differences of opinion expressed at these meetings. They may well ask the question of "You can attend the governor meeting but not come to work, why not?"
    The only caveat would be if the medical certificate actually stated 'Work related stress'.

Even then as any employment lawyer will tell you, a GP is not generally able to certify the cause of somebody's illness. He is able to certify them as ill based on what he sees but he has no first hand knowledge as to the cause. Apart from what the patient tells him for all the doctor knows the work situation could be idyllic and problems are actually personal.

To answer the original question. Yes, in theory the OP is quite entitled to attend the meeting but there is obvious scope for the employer to "misinterpret" if they have that mindset.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    a GP is not generally able to certify the cause of somebody's illness.

Dunno about that. I saw plenty of medical certificates with Work Related Stress as the incapacity when working on ESA.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    Dunno about that. I saw plenty of medical certificates with Work Related Stress as the incapacity when working on ESA.

Yes they commonly write it, probably with the best of intentions and it can often be helpful to the employee!

However if a dispute ends up at an employment tribunal it is very easy for the employer's lawyer to challenge the "work related" part of the diagnosis for the reasons I have given.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Stay at home and get an up date from whoever takes the minutes etc.

Surely it could happen that a bout of depression could start at any time even during a meeting .
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Last I was a parent governor (at least 5 years ago), we were taught as part of the training that it is a public office & that the minutes are open to anyone asking.

If you think work will check, notice, or comment, then probably better not to go unless you feel you utterly must and then relapse in some way after.
    I don't really want to contemplate how that might work with depression, but you didn't become a governor just for the gossip. I do see you may feel you ought to as well as wanting to. Just please be careful with yourself?

I absolutely get the 'not go mad with boredom' bit, but this is where something like learning a language on line (memrise, duolingo etc) might step up instead - you get to set the pace & you get to feel the benefits (or not). You can then watch movies etc in foreign languages on YouTube, or old favourites redubbed. (My German emerged for a few minutes watching Star Wars in German, many years ago. It's slid back to Achtung & Nein since.)

All the best to you & your school, whichever way you decide to go.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    edited 9 September 2017 at 10:33PM
    Options
    I'm amazed by some of these responses given that this is 2017. The only question the OP should be worrying about is whether they want to go, not whether they should.

Getting out and about, taking part in things, meeting people, boosting your confidence etc are all things you should be doing when you're signed off with depression and/or anxiety.

You don't have to stay home feeling glum when you have mental health problems. When I've had staff off in similar circumstances I've made it clear they shouldn't feel they can't get out and about if they want to. I've had staff come to Christmas parties when they've been off with depression.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,749 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    shortcrust wrote: »
    Getting out and about, taking part in things, meeting people, boosting your confidence etc are all things you should be doing when you're signed off with depression and/or anxiety.

Enjoying hobbies, meeting up with friends, going to the gym etc are all things I'd expect people signed off with stress to be doing. Doing what is effectively another job isn't.

If you were my member of staff I'd be looking on how I could manage you out. I'd be sitting there thinking "if your well enough to do this other job why aren't you well enough to be working for me" and would ultimately assume you were taking the pee. I'd imagine a number of employers would feel the same.

It's more hassle than it's worth, just don't go. Unless of course you have no intention of returning to your employer but then again you'd have already resigned if this was the case.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure