Dishwasher Faulty 2.5 years old - Reasonable to request repair or replace?

I have a dishwasher that I bought in the UK from well known retailer and well know manufacturer. I contacted the manufacturer but they informed me that it was out of warranty (even though I am pretty sure it had actually failed before that date but that is my fault for not initiating this sooner).

I understand that legally I can expect a product to work for a reasonable amount of time. If it fails before hand I am initially entitled to a repair or replacement. The question is now: is it reasonable to expect a dishwasher to have lasted longer than 2.5 years (again, it failed before 2 years I think but cannot prove that)?

BTW My mum used it properly! Using all proper tablets appropriate for the water in our area.

Comments

• London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I have a dishwasher that I bought in the UK from well known retailer and well know manufacturer. I contacted the manufacturer but they informed me that it was out of warranty (even though I am pretty sure it had actually failed before that date but that is my fault for not initiating this sooner).

I understand that legally I can expect a product to work for a reasonable amount of time. If it fails before hand I am initially entitled to a repair or replacement. The question is now: is it reasonable to expect a dishwasher to have lasted longer than 2.5 years (again, it failed before 2 years I think but cannot prove that)?

BTW My mum used it properly! Using all proper tablets appropriate for the water in our area.

Only if you can prove that it has an inherent fault .You would need to get and pay for an independent check on the machine as it is well outside the supplier and manufactures warranty.
    Like most goods these days IMO nothing is built to last :0(
  • So i have to prove that the machine is not up to scratch and this is why it failed and not because of not maintaining the device properly?

I'm pretty sure it just needs a new thermostat or heating element although it may be something else. I just don't feel comfortable replacing a component where electricity and water is involved and I haven't been trained to do this.
  • So i have to prove that the machine is not up to scratch and this is why it failed and not because of not maintaining the device properly?

I'm pretty sure it just needs a new thermostat or heating element although it may be something else. I just don't feel comfortable replacing a component where electricity and water is involved and I haven't been trained to do this.

Why don't you get someone who has been "trained to do this" to look at the machine and tell you what the problem is?
  • That costs money. If I can get this resolved for free, that would be better.

You can get some idea of what the cause may be from the error code on the machine.
  • mayorunning
    mayorunning Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 9 September 2017 at 4:13PM
    Just got this reply.

"
    Under the sales of good act we are unable to assist with this you would therefore have to get your own engineer out and you would have to prove there is a inherit manufacturing fault, once this has been proven we can look into this
    "

Looks like London50 was right and @theonlyway looks like I will have to do that.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 September 2017 at 7:28PM
    Just got this reply.

"
    Under the sales of good act we are unable to assist with this you would therefore have to get your own engineer out and you would have to prove there is a inherit manufacturing fault, once this has been proven we can look into this
    "

Looks like London50 was right and @theonlyway looks like I will have to do that.

Are you sure they quoted "SOGA"? Thought it was CRA now.

Edited, just realised item was bought when SOGA was in force.
  • Our washing machine stopped working (out of warranty). I paid a man to replace the heating element and it works fine.
  • Is it a Bosch and is it leaking? If so Bosch will replace it for a new one for a small, about £25, charge. At least that is what happened to our neighbours.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It's out of both the manufacturer's and retailer's warranty. So, if you want to make a claim against the latter under CRA, then you'll have to spend the money getting an independent report, with no guarantee of winning. Personally, I'd just get it repaired: neither part you mention is a major outlay.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    If it is not heating then probably the element. Usually easy to replace because they are on the outside of the machine unlike washing machines. Changed my son's, hardest part was disconnecting the machine and moving it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure