Lowcostholidays collapses – your rights as 140,000 hit by travel chaos

Options

Comments

• Angie_Read
    Options
    So good to hear that the first to claim are able to keep their money. Only another 25 days for me to wait.:(
  • N4t4lie
    Options
    Lachlan90 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Paypal has said we may get our money back soon but even then who knows what amount the hotel will ask for. They asked for our voucher but we didnt have it on us then weren't asked about it again.
    A few weeks later i received an email saying they hadnt received payment from the 3rd party and asked if we would pay. I just think even if we do receive a refund shouldn't they have had us pay before leaving i cant see how we would be required to pay now. Thanks for any help.

Have you still got a copy of your original booking information? I would assume that they cannot ask for any more than the original payment in this instance (be aware of exchange rate fluctuations though). When you have received your refund from Paypal seeing as you will not end up out of pocket I suggest you offer it to the hotel and see what they say. I would assume they will take it, but make sure you get it in writing from them that they are happy that any bill has been settled. It is looking increasingly likely that the hotels are realising that they are not going to get anything from the administrators, so if they have your contact details, are trying to recoup their losses. As to whether or not they legally can is anyone's guess though.

If for any reason Paypal don't pay because technically you got what you paid for (be prepared for this eventuality, they are checking all claims) then you might want to contact Citizens Advice 03454 04 05 06. Very difficult situation to be in I'm afraid and I hope it gets sorted.
  • jd87
    jd87 Posts: 2,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can anyone advise on the following situation?

I made a hotel only booking with Lowcostholidays for travel in August. The booking was cancelled and I had to pay the hotel again directly when I was there. I made a chargeback claim via my Tesco Credit Card which was resolved after a few weeks and the money was fully refunded to my account.

I've now received a letter from Tesco Bank saying that the retailer have challenged the chargeback saying that "the disputed amount is incorrect and the flights were available to be used". An enclosed document says:

"The seller replied with additional information regarding this transaction. We have received details from the administrator of Low Cost Travel on the status of fulfilled and unfulfilled bookings. This information specifically highlights that portions of the booking have been fulfilled. We are therefore limiting the refund to the amount that is eligible and disputing the remaining amount [amount]GBP. The chargeback needs to be adjusted..."

I need to respond to Tesco within 10 days, Surely this is some sort of mistake? I booked a hotel only and I didn't get the hotel reservation I had paid for. What can the administrator possibly claim has been fulfilled??!
  • N4t4lie
    N4t4lie Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    jd87 wrote: »
    Can anyone advise on the following situation?

I made a hotel only booking with Lowcostholidays for travel in August. The booking was cancelled and I had to pay the hotel again directly when I was there. I made a chargeback claim via my Tesco Credit Card which was resolved after a few weeks and the money was fully refunded to my account.

I've now received a letter from Tesco Bank saying that the retailer have challenged the chargeback saying that "the disputed amount is incorrect and the flights were available to be used". An enclosed document says:

"The seller replied with additional information regarding this transaction. We have received details from the administrator of Low Cost Travel on the status of fulfilled and unfulfilled bookings. This information specifically highlights that portions of the booking have been fulfilled. We are therefore limiting the refund to the amount that is eligible and disputing the remaining amount [amount]GBP. The chargeback needs to be adjusted..."

I need to respond to Tesco within 10 days, Surely this is some sort of mistake? I booked a hotel only and I didn't get the hotel reservation I had paid for. What can the administrator possibly claim has been fulfilled??!

Send them a polite letter explaining that there must be some sort of error and enclose a copy of the original booking information. It sounds like a genuine error. Send it recorded delivery if you are posting, or call them and send it to someone who can acknowledge receipt. If this doesn't work, raise it as a complaint as if it is not resolved then you can take your case to the ombudsmen.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Letter from Halifax today to say they are refunding me the full amount i paid for our accomodation. Claimed on 3 August, so it's taken a while !
  • Angie_Read
    Angie_Read Posts: 8 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 7 October 2016 at 7:14PM
    Options
    Anybody else waited their 45 days to see if they can keep their money/refund from a debit card payment yet please? I mean....... had an answer as to whether they can keep it or not? Only seen one person on here say yes so far. Thanks.
  • David1917
    Options
    I read the 45 day timescale was just what the merchant bank has to collate information and respond. Not for the full duration of the claim. I received my refund from barclays on 9 august and in their letter they stated if i had not heard from them by 1 november, I could consider the claim succesful. I think angie no news is good news, in that if claims weren't being succesful people would be posting, but not so much if they get to keep their money!
  • Angie_Read
    Options
    Hi David,

Thank you for your reply. Well, I received the money back in my bank (Nationwide) on 4th September and received a letter to confirm this dated 5th September. When I rang to ask how long would it be before I knew I could definitely keep it I was told that if I'd not heard anything from the bank by that time (21st October) then the money was mine to keep. I guess it's the same muddled scenario as the whole affair has been from day one. Maybe I'll just give them a ring after that date. Fingers crossed.;)
  • Angie_Read
    Options
    Great news today.......My 45 day wait is up and my Lowcost Holidays refund from the Nationwide is mine to keep. Soooo pleased. Japan - here I come. :beer:

Massive thank you's to Money Saving Expert; Martin; Natalie and everyone else who commented on here. Thanks guys. Hope everyone else is having the same luck.:j
  • dti2k
    dti2k Posts: 227 Forumite
    Options
    Angie_Read wrote: »
    Great news today.......My 45 day wait is up and my Lowcost Holidays refund from the Nationwide is mine to keep. Soooo pleased. Japan - here I come. :beer:

Massive thank you's to Money Saving Expert; Martin; Natalie and everyone else who commented on here. Thanks guys. Hope everyone else is having the same luck.:j

I'm with Nationwide and I thought the wait was 120 days?
    I will check my letter later today.
    Competition Wins:
    2011: 4 British Airways Flights to Sydney, Australia.
    2014: Turtle Lego Set.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport