Main causes of obesity

Comments

• It can do with appeal and tribunal which is what I originally wrote. Having that hanging over you for that length of time is soul destroying too.

Tribunals take a few months. Do appeal, - they want people to just give up and go away. Don't let them get away with it.
  • I use pre prepped veg. Honestly in life its either time or money. I know we are here to save money which is great but if its gonna make you eat better then I don't care spending more.

I use it too. Can't chop, slice or peel safely. That's one of the reasons I get PIP though so I'm happy to pay extra. It is intended for disability-related expenses after all.

Plus, I owe it to myself to eat as healthily as I can. My problems are only going to get worse over time and I intend to fend them off for as long as I possible.
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I can't even use a cooker. I have severe dyscalculia which means I can't judge cooking times- I've blown up two microwaves and set an oven on fire. Not that we've got a cooker- it got ruined when the hot water tank blew up and flooded the kitchen. Insurance refused the claim and it's took four years to find the money to have the kitchen totally re-done. I'm a prolific self harmer so giving me a sharp knife is about the worst thing possible.
    I lost six stone at one point- and it was on stuff cooked in the microwave as I had no other option. I wasn't as unwell then though- literally some days I can't get out of bed, especially when my vertigo is bad. On days like that I'm not going to defy medical advice- I once nearly ended up with some nasty burns when I had a bad dizzy attack while lifting a freshly made bowl of veg soup from the microwave.
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • Mrs_Ryan wrote: »
    I can't even use a cooker. I have severe dyscalculia which means I can't judge cooking times- I've blown up two microwaves and set an oven on fire. Not that we've got a cooker- it got ruined when the hot water tank blew up and flooded the kitchen. Insurance refused the claim and it's took four years to find the money to have the kitchen totally re-done. I'm a prolific self harmer so giving me a sharp knife is about the worst thing possible.
    I lost six stone at one point- and it was on stuff cooked in the microwave as I had no other option. I wasn't as unwell then though- literally some days I can't get out of bed, especially when my vertigo is bad. On days like that I'm not going to defy medical advice- I once nearly ended up with some nasty burns when I had a bad dizzy attack while lifting a freshly made bowl of veg soup from the microwave.

Do you live in a home?
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Do you live in a home?

No. I live in a normal house, with my partner.
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • Hopefully he can support you and keep an eye on you, then.
  • The main causes of obesity is unhealthy eating and inactivity.

A very few obese people have a medical problem.

So folks if your BMI is more than 28 then you need to check your diet and walk more.

So if you are overweight, and you blame it on an illness, then you are more than likely to be in denial.

You just need to get a grip on things, sort your diet out and get out on your feet a bit.

Cheers fj

What rubbish. I exercise a lot - I figure skate and do all the jumps and spins. I even compete. I practice at least 4 times a week - each time for around 90 minutes. In addition, I go to the gym at least once a week.

I'm 5'2" and weight 13 stone. Think that makes my BMI around 33. My husband works from home and does little more than walk from his desk (which is in the kitchen) to the kettle. He is 5'7" and weighs around 9st.

By your argument, I should be the thin one and my husband the obese one. Like most things in life, its more complicated than that.
  • What rubbish. I exercise a lot - I figure skate and do all the jumps and spins. I even compete. I practice at least 4 times a week - each time for around 90 minutes. In addition, I go to the gym at least once a week.

I'm 5'2" and weight 13 stone. Think that makes my BMI around 33. My husband works from home and does little more than walk from his desk (which is in the kitchen) to the kettle. He is 5'7" and weighs around 9st.

By your argument, I should be the thin one and my husband the obese one. Like most things in life, its more complicated than that.

AS long as you don't have any illnesses that prevent normal weight loss. Then as crude as the OP was its not necessarily wrong.

Its just calories in exceeding calories out. Different bodies have different resting metabolic rates but the method applies to us all. Weight loss isn't really related to exercise in that it helps but exercise really doesn't use many calories and we adapt over time burning even less than when we started.
  • .Gigolo_Aunt
    .Gigolo_Aunt Posts: 184 Forumite
    edited 27 September 2016 at 2:54PM
    What rubbish. I exercise a lot - I figure skate and do all the jumps and spins. I even compete. I practice at least 4 times a week - each time for around 90 minutes. In addition, I go to the gym at least once a week.

Something does not add up about your description of yourself and what you do. A severely obese competitive figure skater??

This overweight woman is exactly the same height as you, but 2 stone lighter!!

article_2071870_0_F1_C048_F00000578_621_196x485.jpg
  • Thank goodness that is all our problems solved, now you can sort the middle east out good chap and do more good in the world.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure