John Lewis mattress quality issue

Comments

• I have that exact same mattress! it was an ortho 1600 pocket sprung and cost £750 about a year ago.
    it's supposedly made by hypnos but is awful and is sagging and so unsupportive it's unreal.

problem is this replaced a previous one from there that was even worse! (a naturals collection one) and they said they won't exchange again so if anything goes wrong it's tough basically!

so we are stuck with it.
    it was firm for first couple months too then felt like a cheap nasty one and has caused my arthritis in my back to get much worse!

we've spent £100 on a decent memory topper but it's still not great and are saving up for another but I will never shop at John Lewis ever again!
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I have that exact same mattress! it was an ortho 1600 pocket sprung and cost £750 about a year ago.
    it's supposedly made by hypnos but is awful and is sagging and so unsupportive it's unreal.

problem is this replaced a previous one from there that was even worse! (a naturals collection one) and they said they won't exchange again so if anything goes wrong it's tough basically!

so we are stuck with it.
    it was firm for first couple months too then felt like a cheap nasty one and has caused my arthritis in my back to get much worse!

we've spent £100 on a decent memory topper but it's still not great and are saving up for another but I will never shop at John Lewis ever again!

What bases did you have each of these mattresses on? To have two different mattresses fail seems like there could be another common denominator.
  • Sorry to hear that. Would you mind my asking what type of bed base you used?
  • we've had the bed around five years and had a myers before this that was wonderful and I'd always had myers beds but wanted to try a John Lewis bed because of their usual great customer service.
    we'd made a few other large purchases from there the month before.

it's a real leather ottoman cost a grand from dreams for the bed alone in 2011. It came with a ten year guarantee.
    We were happy with the myers apart from it was a medium firmness and with my back getting worse with the arthritis and related conditions, my physio recommended an orthopedic mattress.
    The John Lewis ortho one that replaced the first one that was a 'special buy' and was terrible, cost us an extra £200 but as John Lewis told us that their ortho range was made by Hypnos and had a ten year guarantee and was best beds in the world according to them, then it sounded like it was worth the extra money.

Looking back £750 for a 1600 pocket sprung is a ridiculous price anyhow and we could have gotten much better elsewhere but there you go.
    you don't always get what you pay for it suppose.

The fact that there is Two of us with exact same mattress with exactly same issues doesn't ring alarm bells that the mattress may be faulty yet it rings alarm bells that it's my bed??

I only posted to back up the OP on their post as I've had same issues, but should have expected it to be my beds fault or something by reading some of the posts on here.

it's why I rarely post lol
  • sorry myers mattress not bed.
    the bed is dreams, the previous mattress was myers and my edit button doesn't seem to work on my mobile, hence the additional post.
  • Sorry you misunderstood the reason I asked about your bed. It was to prove the point that the mattress is faulty in case you were using a bed which had a solid base instead of slats like us. Because then John Lewis would not have been able to pin the blame on the bed. Hope this clarifies and thank you for your input.
    Hearing your story it seems we can't hope for a real resolution from them sadly.
  • wasn't you I was referring to. I was merely backing you up as I have same issues as you 😊
  • The mattress inspector was from Hypnos
  • we haven't complained about this one as don't see the point so bought a decent topper which is OK for now I suppose.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    it's a real leather ottoman cost a grand from dreams for the bed alone in 2011.

The common denominator.

Cost is not necessarily a reflection on quality.
    The fact that there is Two of us with exact same mattress with exactly same issues doesn't ring alarm bells that the mattress may be faulty yet it rings alarm bells that it's my bed??

Yes, two of you with the same issue, with the same bed frame.

Did you have your mattress inspected? The OP did, twice if I understood it correctly, and neither inspector found a fault with the mattress.

But you both have issues, you have had it with two mattresses and you and the OP both have ottomans. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure