RBS ppi refunded somewhere but where?

RBS have text me to say they have deposited my PPI refund direct into my current account.
However, I don't have a current account with them, only a debit card. Checked the debit card account and nothing been deposited there.

This was after writing to me to say a cheque would be issued.

Anyone any idea as to where it might be?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,252 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    However, I don't have a current account with them, only a debit card.

Debit cards are only available on current accounts. So, if you have a debit card then you have a current account.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Ah, thanks for that. strangely enough, I do now remember them issueing a cheque book but never used it.

I am hoping they have sent it to there then, maybe it takes a while, from PPI dept to bank account I mean?
  • Ah, thanks for that. strangely enough, I do now remember them issueing a cheque book but never used it.

I am hoping they have sent it to there then, maybe it takes a while, from PPI dept to bank account I mean?
    Can you tell me how long you have waited since they informed you that your complaint was upheld?
    I ask because I've been waiting 10 weeks and still nothing but the ombudsman said it would take 8 weeks.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,252 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Ah, thanks for that. strangely enough, I do now remember them issueing a cheque book but never used it.

Many banks only issue cheque books on request. Not automatically. My daughter hasnt got a cheque book on her current account but could get one if needed.
    Can you tell me how long you have waited since they informed you that your complaint was upheld?
    I ask because I've been waiting 10 weeks and still nothing but the ombudsman said it would take 8 weeks.

I doubt the ombudsman said it would take 8 weeks. I suspect what they told you is that you cannot use them until after 8 weeks if the firm has not replied within that time. It was not long ago that PPI complaints were taking over a year or 2. Now its more like 2-4 months but some are much quicker. Be a bit more patient. If they have acknowledged the complaint then wait a bit longer.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Can you tell me how long you have waited since they informed you that your complaint was upheld?

It was about 10 weeks. They wrote a couple of times to say still looking into it.
    Once I got the offer, they said they would make payment within 28 days, and paid today (day 26) but can't actually find payment yet, lol.
  • Found out what happened.
    They paid the whole amount into a RBS account pending further investigations.
    When I asked what that meant, they said I had "markers" on my account.
    They are now investigating and I should hear within 28 days.
    The only thing I can think of is that I have a current account with them that I have never used.
    So frustrating!
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Found out what happened.
    They paid the whole amount into a RBS account pending further investigations.
    When I asked what that meant, they said I had "markers" on my account.
    They are now investigating and I should hear within 28 days.
    The only thing I can think of is that I have a current account with them that I have never used.
    So frustrating!

Have you had any unpaid debt or debt written off etc with that bank or previously been bankrupt?
  • Hi
    Something similar happened to me. I have recently switched banks. But there was a savings account I no longer used from my former bank. The PPI money was transferred into that account. I didn't recognise the account number so rang them and bank replied to say where it was, and to go into my local branch to sort out!
  • The only thing I can think of is that I have a current account with them that I have never used.
    In August 2013 you posted the following;
    I had some debt problems back in 2003 and had a couple of defaults.
    Eventually I paid them off.
    Then in March 2014 you posted the following
    I have previous bad debts but they will be paid off soon, and I will easily be able to afford new car payment.

But do you think they will give me the credit because of the bad record.
    Not CCJ's but late payments and 1 default.

These are the "markers" which the Bank are investigating.
    If you had monies written off, for example as part of a debt relief programme, then these monies can be offset against redress awarded as a result of a successful PPI complaint.
    If the bad debts and defaults were not pertaining to finance provided by RBS Group, then their current "investigation" will be nothing for you to worry about. Otherwise, you stand to lose some or all of the redress.
  • Just an update.
    RBS sold an old debt of mine to AIC in 2006

So they decided to pay the whole PPI refund into the original loan account of their own stating arrears on the account
    Not to AIC

28 days was up last week and haven't heard anything from them.

I have now written to them with several reasons why I don't think that is the fair way to settle things.

1. The loan was eventually paid off
    2. They sold the loan in 2006 so had no interest in it anyway
    3. Even if it hadn't been paid off, cases have been won through the courts & FoS whereby a creditor keeping PPI refunds have been ordered to pay if to the customer. This is because the customer may have had more important debts than the banks loan and because you can't "off set" unless it's your owned account.
    Apparently!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport