Giving way on a hill

Richard53
Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
Where I live, there are a lot of hills. Many of the roads are narrow, with 'pinch points' where if two vehicles meet, one must give way. As a learner back in the mediaeval period, I was taught that the vehicle going downhill should (all other things being equal) give way to the vehicle coming up the hill. The basis for this was that it is always easier to get going downhill from a standstill than to move off uphill. I was told it originated in the days of horse and cart, but was applicable to motor traffic to a smaller degree.

A lot of folk either haven't heard of this or ignore it. Is it still taught, or are modern cars deemed so advanced that it is no longer necessary? This isn't a rant; I would genuinely like to know. Most people round me seem to apply the rule 'who gets there first goes first', regardless of the gradient. I always try to anticipate and will give way to uphill traffic, but am I just stuck in the past?
If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.

Comments

• Just another example of the lack of courtesy/consideration for others theses days :(

Quite right about giving way to vehicles coming uphill IMO.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I wouldn't be stopping at every bay going down hill. Modern cars are capable of stopping and starting on a hill without any problems so going up a hill I don't expect everybody to pull over and going down a hill I expect to be able to make progress at the same rate as those coming the other way
  • I hate single track road because people don't know how to use them. The most common thing that bugs me are people (and this is usually women) stop just before the passing place so they can see the space in front of them but the back of their car is still in the narrow part of the road causing a blockage.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I was always taught that vehicles going downhill should give way to those going up.

Given that traffic levels on single track roads are usually pretty low, it shouldn't be too much of an inconvenience.

With regard to Rule 155, I wish more people would take notice of the bit in bold...
    Rule 155
    Single-track roads. These are only wide enough for one vehicle. They may have special passing places. If you see a vehicle coming towards you, or the driver behind wants to overtake, pull into a passing place on your left, or wait opposite a passing place on your right. Give way to vehicles coming uphill whenever you can. If necessary, reverse until you reach a passing place to let the other vehicle pass. Slow down when passing pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders.
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Common sense apples, size of vehicle, location of passing places, steepness of hill all need to be weighed up. If there were no other considerations then I'd use the uphill rule but I wouldn't demand it.

Having driven a 28ft long wide RV down lanes to access campsites I can assassination you there are times when regardless I'm not going back for a car, regardless of where hills and passing places are.
  • usefulmale
    usefulmale Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    Common sense apples, size of vehicle, location of passing places, steepness of hill all need to be weighed up. If there were no other considerations then I'd use the uphill rule but I wouldn't demand it.

Having driven a 28ft long wide RV down lanes to access campsites I can assassination you there are times when regardless I'm not going back for a car, regardless of where hills and passing places are.

You'd rather kill someone than give way to them?
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    so ianspencer you are admitting to being unable to drive the large vehicle on country roads?
    Perhaps some further training is required, a smaller vehicle or choose a route that you can manage.
  • gilbert_and_sullivan
    gilbert_and_sullivan Posts: 3,238 Forumite
    edited 10 October 2016 at 8:53AM
    You expect modern drivers to have the foggiest idea of their surroundings, ie that they might be on a hill in the presence of other traffic and more amazingly you expect them to use some common sense or put some thought into their driving?

These would be the same drivers who enter a motorway in their 200hp car, and proceed along the acceleration lane at precisely 55 mph, when they get to the end of that acceleration lane they miraculously discover some swine of a lorry driver in the brightest yellow artic ever seen has deliberately (of course hence a swine) been running alongside them at 55 mph with two lanes full of traffic beside him in the middle and outside lanes, and a travelling gap of 400 yards in front of him because he doesn't tailgate...hmm 400 yard gap 200hp, lets think.

Upon finally noticing said lorry appear just at the end of the slip road and amazingly it hasn't been hoisted out of their majestic procession by a passing Chinook, they have to brake hard, this is quickly followed by acceleration Lewis Hamilton couldn't match so they can overtake and come alongside the lorry, make all sorts of signs and gestures at the driver, and then pull in front of the lorry and test out a 44 tonners brakes!!!

And you really expect suicidal lemmings like that to judge the finer points of driving etiquette regarding hills?

Sorry but its all over bar the shouting out there, driving standards in all sort of vehicle have dropped to an abysmal level and i see no sign of courtesy and common sense returning any time soon.
  • Common sense apples, size of vehicle, location of passing places, steepness of hill all need to be weighed up. If there were no other considerations then I'd use the uphill rule but I wouldn't demand it.

Don't you just love predictive text.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure