The Top Easy Access Savings Discussion Area

Comments

• Mr._H_2
    Mr._H_2 Posts: 488 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    strepsil wrote: »
    IF finally took money out of my current account for initial deposit

I find that "pushing" payments is always faster than "pulling". What you did was pull - you asked IF to pull money out of your current account. What would be faster is to push the money from the current account, i.e. tell your bank to send money to the IF sort code/account number.
  • Mr._H wrote: »
    I find that "pushing" payments is always faster than "pulling". What you did was pull - you asked IF to pull money out of your current account. What would be faster is to push the money from the current account, i.e. tell your bank to send money to the IF sort code/account number.
    Yes, I wish I'd known this before. I think part of the delay was waiting for documents back/forth via Royal Mail, too.

One thing worth noting when applying with IF - although at no point in their "application guide" does it suggest that a piece of evidence with your current address on is required, and although specifically using the words "verify your identity" in bold (rather than "verify your identity and current address"), the application will fail unless one of these is sent in.

I sent a passport and a paper driving licence, which were suggested items - however, the driving licence did not have my current address (not surprising for a document that remains active for 50 years) so wasn't acceptable. I was not sent any letter telling me about this, and had to constantly chase the status of my application on the phone.

"pushing" my money would have been a much better idea. As it stands, I had to leave a large sum in my current account for nearly 2 months. Even with the application finally succesful, it apparently takes 10 days for them to actually process the direct debit.
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    strepsil wrote: »
    One thing worth noting when applying with IF - although at no point in their "application guide" does it suggest that a piece of evidence with your current address on is required, and although specifically using the words "verify your identity" in bold (rather than "verify your identity and current address"), the application will fail unless one of these is sent in.

I sent a passport and a paper driving licence, which were suggested items - however, the driving licence did not have my current address (not surprising for a document that remains active for 50 years) so wasn't acceptable. I was not sent any letter telling me about this, and had to constantly chase the status of my application on the phone.

When you move house you have to tell DVLA this, and they will issue you with a replacement driving licence for free. It is not IF's fault that you sent in an invalid document.
  • WaxiesDargle
    WaxiesDargle Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    golfpunk wrote: »
    Citibank may pay 3.3% but you wont ever get the chance to put any money in. Noone ever answers the phone to enable you to activate the account ! Customer service is absolutely non-existant. By far the worse experience of service in my life from any organisation.

I'll let you know how I get on...just waiting for my card to come in the post so I can activate
  • WaxiesDargle
    WaxiesDargle Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    efunc wrote: »
    but why can't you put any money in anyway?? you don't need to 'activate' anything to do that. Your account number and sort code are given to you by email as soon as you fill out the online application... :confused:

I got this in my email

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Activate your account, just call 0800 00 88 00.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The first step you need to take when you have received your Citibank card and PINs is to call us to activate your account. The number to call is 0800 00 88 00 - remember you will need your Citibank card ready. Please note you need to activate your account before you can transfer funds.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]says there you need to get the card before activation
    [/FONT]
  • d-b_2
    d-b_2 Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Re AA - I think it is also halifax so need to watch for maximum protected.
  • d-b_2
    d-b_2 Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Theoretically I opened a Citibank instant access account but I have to phone to activate it. so after 35 mins i had to go out then later after 65 mins the phone battery died - I have money waiting to be moved out of my current account but can't move it
  • rb10 wrote: »
    When you move house you have to tell DVLA this, and they will issue you with a replacement driving licence for free. It is not IF's fault that you sent in an invalid document.
    Having not driven in 10 years, I guess I wasn't aware of the legal requirement to get your address updated on your driving licence.

Either way, the words 'verify your identity' are used exclusively in the guide, which to me does not suggest the need to verify my residence, and the 'List A/B/C' documents suggested for this seem to arbitrarily include a postal address, so there would be a number of seemingly valid permutations that would actually be insufficient. Having to call IF constantly to find this out wasn't helpful.
  • I can't comment on the savings account but I have a current account and credit card with citibank. I don't use either that much because their so-called customer service is consistently appalling.

I like the savings rate but I'm not in a hurry to expand my relationship with this lot.
  • Like many posters on here I took advice on the best rate i.e. Citibank at 3.3%. I almost need to go out and buy a new 'phone as mine has almost been launched into mid air 4 times today. I spent a total of 62 minutes on hold listening to the normal pre-recorded excuses about how busy they are and how one of their "personal bankers" !!! would be with me soon. I don't know much about this organisation but they seem to be working off one advisor in a very small room! Worst service of any financial institution I've had dealings with so far. May try again tomorrow but after that they can stick their 3.3%.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback