Capital One PPI - stalling?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,038
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    my signature has changed over the years but not vastly ... so I'm thinking based on the information you have provided that they are using every tactic in the book to stall the resolution!!

I bet you would be quick to complain had they paid out money to someone else who was pretending to be you. If so, why you are angry at them doing what is required to stop that sort of thing happening?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • BAL1994
    BAL1994 Posts: 15 Forumite
    I originally complained to Cap One on the 11th September, 2012 and now today finally received a response advising not to contact them again as they hope to have an answer for me within 10 weeks !!!!!

I am also in a bit of a dilemma what to do next, send details to FOS, involve a third party PPI collection Company or just wait ???

In the meantime, I had requested that they cancel the current PPI payments but guess what.........they are still taking them !!!
  • dunstonh wrote: »
    I bet you would be quick to complain had they paid out money to someone else who was pretending to be you. If so, why you are angry at them doing what is required to stop that sort of thing happening?

Who said I was angry??? More disgruntled they couldn't have asked me for this in previous correspondence plus while I have no problem providing my ID as I realise in this day and age it's a must to prove status/eligibility but what I do object to is that I am not allowed to email the documents from my personal email address to a 'real person' within Capital One but I can fax or post them to lie around their offices which is less secure.
    BAL1994 wrote: »
    I originally complained to Cap One on the 11th September, 2012 and now today finally received a response advising not to contact them again as they hope to have an answer for me within 10 weeks !!!!!

I am also in a bit of a dilemma what to do next, send details to FOS, involve a third party PPI collection Company or just wait ???

In the meantime, I had requested that they cancel the current PPI payments but guess what.........they are still taking them !!!

Based on information I've received previously I wouldn't bother with FOS given their backlog of complaints - I'm playing the waiting game and hoping this time they stick to their resolution within the 4 weeks - things are obviously moving if they're checking my signature!

As for still taking PPI.... same here I requested cancellation in writing but they're still charging me - I phoned and they told me to put it in writing but ....???
  • brenmi wrote: »
    I have received confirmation they have received my complaint, and am awaiting their reply, they have 7 weeks left...will keep you all posted.

Hi all still waiting for outcome of complaint, they did send another letter though saying they are running a little behind.
  • Capital One only have an uphold rate of around 11%.

That means for every valid complaint they have ten that are not - but all have to be dealt with. It all takes time.

For the genuine ones, the fault for misselling lies with Capital One but the fault for the delays lies with those who are trying it on.
  • Just to update, I'm still waiting..... I provided proof of ID on 12th November as requested and no news.....

Brenmi... hope you've had more news since your last post
  • and.... still waiting ..... after providing proof of ID/signature on 12 November... I have received a letter today telling me they still haven't reached a resolution .... they must have some backlog of complaints ...
  • huwjohn
    huwjohn Posts: 45 Forumite
    I just want to set the record straight. Capital One are NOT stalling. Banks are slow and complaints processes are exhaustive, but their not stalling. I used to work for a reputable bank and believe me, I am not a lover of the banking system either.

As a former employee of a bank, I know (and i’m sure you are too!) that there is no case handler assigned to your complaint to say “stall! Don’t give him anything! Make him wait! Let’s hope he drops it!”. It’s not in the banks interests to stall – They would get fined £500 by the FOS if they stalled and I think you need to remember that employee’s don’t care whether you get your money or not. All their doing is their job and following the correct timelines.

I used to be a PPI handler and believe me it is better to get your case out of the way and dealt with than risk you potentially calling expressing dissatisfacion, clogging up the lines and complaining about other things in the process. I’m not saying your case isn’t dealt with and your concerns dismissed, all i’m saying is it’s better that your complaint comes to a satisfactory resolution where applicable. This would boost the bank’s reputation and it’s relationship with its customers.

The problem the banks are facing is that there are waaaaay too many people jumping on the bandwagon. There are people who are just submitting false complaints, claims management companies who are sending generic letters that don’t apply to their customers and customers asking for PPI back without explaining why they are complaining and how they feel it was mis-sold to them. Even those who have claimed on it are asking for it back.

Consequently the banks are inundated with thousands upon thousands of complaints. Some people are losing their jobs because of this, because the banks simply can’t afford to be losing this sort of money. Departments are being amalgamated into one and that means less requirement for staff – the complaints departments are increasing but there are processes to follow and legalities to comply with. Customer don’t understand that this is an extensive process and complain about their complaint. They also don’t realize that a final response IS a final response and if they need to take it further, they would have to the Ombudsman service. This is a compliance issue that is not going to be broken for one customer and overturned for another.

If the company have received insufficient information or the complaint was dealt with badly or without taking into consideration the relevant information then yes the company can at their discretion review the case but looking into a case again is not prioritized, it is put back into the queue which is why it in the customers interests to go to the FOS rather than keep on at the company. It’s not going to make any difference that you’re angry, upset etc etc. There are complaints procedures in place for a reason. There’s just too many complaints to cherry pick one over the other. Can you imagine how you would feel if you were waiting and waiting and someone’s complaint was cherry picked over yours because they complained again?

Also a lot of customers are feigning ignorance, denying they had knowledge of PPI, claiming they were told things they weren’t and using immaturity or even mental illness as an excuse to get their PPI back. It is of course, the customers responsibility to ensure that he reads and understands his terms and conditions and if he does not, it doesn’t matter if you deny you knew you had it, claim you were told things or use immaturity – the fact is at some point you read and signed a document specifically stated you wanted the “optional” PPI and you wanted to be legally bound by the terms and conditions of the contract you signed. It is your fault if you did not read those terms and conditions and nobody else’s.

In the case of mental illness, there is a process called “irresponsible lending” where if you can prove that you had or someone representing you can supply evidence that you were not compus mentus at the time you took out the loan, then you can claim “irresponsible lending” and the WHOLE LOAN would be invalidated.

I repeat, there are processes in place if you feel you were treated unfairly and on the basis of the evidence YOU supply, the company will consider it. As I say, we were simply employees of a bank. We have no need to lie to you or stall our complaints process because at the end of the day – it doesn’t concern us whether you win or not because you are just a number in a pool of customers doing the same thing and we are simply just doing our job.
  • KKmatters
    KKmatters Posts: 56 Forumite
    Thanks for your reply Huwjohn... however while I agree with the points you're making in your reply, I would like to add that I have spoke with FOS regarding the case they categorically stated that I should have had some response from CapitalOne within the eight-week time frame - I stated I had received letters saying that they are allowed 'extra time' and following that I'm receiving letters approximately every 4 weeks stating it will take another 4 weeks - their answer again was they acknowledged receipt of my claim and they have a responsibility to have given a resolution within eight weeks - whether this is right or wrong I don't know all I can say is that from registering my claim in August 2012 to today 28 Feb 2013 I have not had the case accepted/denied just 'pending' - FOS have advised although they may take time as they too are unindated with complaints it would be in my best interest to register my complaint with them.

So, I'm sitting patiently waiting for a fair decision!
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,038
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I would like to add that I have spoke with FOS regarding the case they categorically stated that I should have had some response from CapitalOne within the eight-week time frame

Yes you should. This should be an acknowledgement of receipt of your complaint and after 8 weeks a holding letter letting you know they havent been able to resolve it yet but will do in extra time. It does appear that you are receiving those from your comments.
    FOS have advised although they may take time as they too are unindated with complaints it would be in my best interest to register my complaint with them.

I would disagree. Once it goes to the FOS, Cap One will stop investigating or at least put you at the back of the queue pending an adjudicator being allocated by the FOS. That is typically taking upto 12 months. Also, Cap One complaints have a very low success rate on complaints at the FOS. The last published figures show the FOS only upheld 22% of complaints against FOS. The previous 6 months were only 11%. Cap One are known to handle complaints fairly. The delay is unfortunate but the FOS delay is even worse.

Also, you should note that the FOS telephone line is staffed by unqualified individuals who do not adjudicate decisions. They appear to work from scripts and are naturally consumer biased. The adjudicators and ombudsman do not have that bias. you often hear people told things by the telephone line that differ from reality.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure