Very noisy diesel engine?

gundo
gundo Posts: 249
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
Just bought an 2.0 diesel Jag X-type at auction, it's got a full Jag service history on an 06 plate with 70k miles on the clock. I drove it back and bearing in mind the only diesels I've driven are Transits, I didn't know what to expect.

It goes very well and pulls like a train. It's the same engine from the 2.0 TDCi 130 Mondeo's. But it's really loud! I didn't notice how bad it was until the following day I started it up on my driveway. It sounds like an old Transit!

It's due a service in 1k miles and it's still under manufacturers warranty until March 09. What could be wrong with it?

At the moment I feel like a right idiot and I'm tempted to trade it in as soon as I get the V5 back from the DVLA.

My 10 yr old 115k mile Mondeo is like a magic carpet in comparison.

Looking at the service history it's had nothing major done. It's an ex-lease car.

I'm hoping that all it needs is a good service and it'll quieten down but I suspect (dread!?!) something major's up with it. It's a shame as the rest of it is pretty immaculate, not a scratch anywhere.

Hmmm...

I just compared it to my friend's Mondeo 2.0 TDCi when he came round this morning and his is a lot smoother and quieter.

Hope someone has an idea.
Trying hard to be a good moneysaver.

Comments

• mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Usually sounds like a bus for the first 5 or 10 minutes, then it should quieten down.
    An oil change would help as well.
  • diesels can be noiser when cold

take it to a garage

your friends would of been warm when it arrived
  • Probably got the DMF hanging off and/or the bottom rollers. Welcome to the world of the lovely Ford 2.0TDCi...!!

This is exactly why we in the trade hate them..!
  • Depends on what noise it's making. If its diesel knock then it's likely because it's cold and we're currently running on winter diesel with a higher kerosine content.
    Conor
    Unstoppable.....
  • Probably got the DMF hanging off and/or the bottom rollers. Welcome to the world of the lovely Ford 2.0TDCi...!!

I don't know why you're saying "we". From the above, it's plainly obvious you don't have a clue about mechanics and are therefore not a mechanic and are merely regurgitating some "buzzwords" you've heard. But because you don't actually have a clue what you're on about, you merely look a prat.
    Conor
    Unstoppable.....
  • The car may have been designed with a soundproof plastic panel below the engine. Many are, but they are easily damaged or people just forget to replace them. Check that your car should have one, and if it is there - you don't need a jack, just look underneath to see what you can see. If you see the bottom of the engine and gearbox, it isn't there.

You'd be surprised the difference the lack of such a panel can make.
  • gundo
    Forumite
    Probably got the DMF hanging off and/or the bottom rollers. Welcome to the world of the lovely Ford 2.0TDCi...!!

Any chance that it'll be covered by Jag's warranty? It's still in warranty and all the servicing has been done by a Jag main dealer.

DMF failures look v. expensive to repair.
  • 70k and still in warranty? Thought they were 3yr/60k...?

DMF failure's are common on the Mondeuar! 400 quid should see it done!
  • gundo
    Forumite
    70k and still in warranty? Thought they were 3yr/60k...?

No, more recent X-types come with a three year unlimited mileage warranty.

The Honest Jon website mentioned it and I checked with the Jaguar website too.

I went to a 2nd hand car dealership where they had a 2.0D X-type which was an 04 with 94k miles on and it was quieter and also became a lot quieter after a few minutes.

Hmmm...

Jaguar main dealer servicing costs don't bear thinking about but if I can get the work done under warranty it will be worth it.

I may take it to my normal garage (non-franchised) and be completely honest about what's happening and ask them for an opinion i.e. what's wrong with it, will it be likely done under warranty, if not how much they'll charge me for doing it?

Clearly if the car was out of warranty, I wouldn't step foot in a Jag dealers, £250 basic charge for a main service, which seems a bit steep for oil, filters and fluid top-ups - Ouch!

I only bought the X-type as it was cheap (cheaper than a similarly spec'd Mondeo), looked in good nick, had full service history and had a Mondeo engine i.e. some bits would Ford prices to get fixed. Oh dear...

If the news is bad I'll trade it in for a Mondeo, a petrol Mondeo!
  • How many miles since the last oil change before we start looking on the dark side?

You'll sometimes be amazed at the difference an oil change with...good quality diesel engine oil... will make.

Some of these service intervals are ridiculously long, bearing (no pun) in mind the punishment diesel engine oil goes through.
    I can hear the difference in my own engines the moment i've changed the oil, and my own vehicles never go beyond half the stated mileage before oil change.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure