Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EddS
    • By EddS 7th Dec 17, 2:20 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    EddS
    Additional Electrics
    • 7th Dec 17, 2:20 PM
    Additional Electrics 7th Dec 17 at 2:20 PM
    Hello,
    We are going to get a rewire done on a house we have just brought and I'm wandering if anyone wished that they had got something else done during their rewire? For example, more plug sockets.
    This will be the first place we have brought and don't have to move immediately so want to get this done before we move in. One thing I'm thinking of is an outside socket/terminal on it's own fuse box loop (I need to learn the terminology).
    Thanks all!
Page 1
    • n217970
    • By n217970 7th Dec 17, 2:26 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    n217970
    • 7th Dec 17, 2:26 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 2:26 PM
    You can never have enough sockets in the Kitchen.

If I were doing my house I would take the oppertunity to put cat6 ethernet cables in. Wireless is ok for light use but you can't beat a proper cable.
    • aneary
    • By aneary 7th Dec 17, 2:28 PM
    • 817 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    aneary
    • 7th Dec 17, 2:28 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 2:28 PM
    Figure how many sockets you need then add 25% at least, make sure they are in the right places in rooms (think where will the tv be where will the bedside table be etc) add in arial sockets at the same time.

Outside plugs are very handy front and back of the house ideally.

Also think about any tech you have and whether you want that wired in directly
    • rosyw
    • By rosyw 7th Dec 17, 3:33 PM
    • 491 Posts
    • 768 Thanks
    rosyw
    • 7th Dec 17, 3:33 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 3:33 PM

If I were doing my house I would take the oppertunity to put cat6 ethernet cables in. Wireless is ok for light use but you can't beat a proper cable.
    Originally posted by n217970
    Couldn't agree more with this! I'd also ensure that a good few of the sockets also had USB, if I ever had to replace sockets that's one thing I'll be insisting on.
    • enjoyyourshoes
    • By enjoyyourshoes 7th Dec 17, 3:36 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 1,017 Thanks
    enjoyyourshoes
    • 7th Dec 17, 3:36 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 3:36 PM
    Consider any requirements for repositioning ceiling rose , additional wall lights, extractor fans in shower/bath rooms., also external lighting for safety (front door and garage) /security (sensor type)
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
    • Mutton Geoff
    • By Mutton Geoff 7th Dec 17, 3:37 PM
    • 999 Posts
    • 1,042 Thanks
    Mutton Geoff
    • 7th Dec 17, 3:37 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 3:37 PM
    If you're going through the disruption of a rewire, then I would have the new sockets and switches fitted at the new heights above the floor. At first I was resistant to the idea, but since done, I really like the new heights, easier to use.

If channels are being cut, floorboards up etc, I would bring twin WF100 (sat cable) from a central point to each room where you might have a TV as well as the CAT6 cable.

Worth looking at running alarm cable and possibly fire alarm cable. I have started putting in a centrally controlled fire alarm in my projects. That way you get coverage over the whole house/loft/garage not just the hall and landing. Cost of hardware is minimal, it's the cabling that is the pain, so if the floors are coming up, then a great time to wire it in.
    Compensations/Refunds from Banks & Institutions - £4,165 | Stooz Profits - £7,636 | Quidco - £4,014

All with a big thank you to Martin and MSE.com from Mutton Geoff!
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 7th Dec 17, 3:52 PM
    • 459 Posts
    • 535 Thanks
    ProDave
    • 7th Dec 17, 3:52 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 3:52 PM
    To me (as an electrician) rewire is rip it all out and start again. So OF COURSE you will have more sockets, and sockets where you want them, better lighting configurations etc.

If anyone quotes you for a rewire and says he is just putting in the same number of sockets in the same place, run a mile.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 7th Dec 17, 3:55 PM
    • 4,891 Posts
    • 9,873 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 7th Dec 17, 3:55 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 3:55 PM

Originally posted by n217970
    After having my entire new (to me) House covered in brick dust as my dad and boyfriend ripped it to bit to cat6 Ethernet the whole house, I am at least happy someone else thinks itís worth the effort!!

I donít see the use myself! Iím sure one day I will!! For now Iíll just sweep up the dust and cry to myself!
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • aneary
    • By aneary 7th Dec 17, 3:57 PM
    • 817 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    aneary
    • 7th Dec 17, 3:57 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 3:57 PM
    After having my entire new (to me) House covered in brick dust as my dad and boyfriend ripped it to bit to cat6 Ethernet the whole house, I am at least happy someone else thinks itís worth the effort!!

I donít see the use myself! Iím sure one day I will!! For now Iíll just sweep up the dust and cry to myself!
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    Wicks do a great hoover £40 great for cleaning up during renovations. Also sheeting helps!
    • dimbo61
    • By dimbo61 7th Dec 17, 4:06 PM
    • 9,595 Posts
    • 5,187 Thanks
    dimbo61
    3 double sockets in every bedroom.
    Consider where you will be putting TV,s with a double socket behind.
    Cat 6 cable will help with Internet/Cable TV
    6 double sockets in Kitchen with 3 doubles near worksurface.
    Outside socket for Hoover, Jet washer, Xmas lights etc.
    Security lights front and rear and alarm system / smoke alarms
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 7th Dec 17, 4:07 PM
    • 3,886 Posts
    • 7,899 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    Network cable (wireless is great, but has downsides).
    Alarm cabling... (Wireless as above)
    Coax cabling for Sky and even ancient Freeview.
    Consider a 12V/other dc circuit.

But the Must Have... Linked fire alarm system.... and don't rely on wireless linking on this!
    • EddS
    • By EddS 7th Dec 17, 4:21 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    EddS
    Thanks for all the suggestions, lots to think about before the electrician visits us for the quote
    • aneary
    • By aneary 7th Dec 17, 4:24 PM
    • 817 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    aneary
    Cat 6 cable will help with Internet/Cable TV
    6 double sockets in Kitchen with 3 doubles near worksurface.
    Outside socket for Hoover, Jet washer, Xmas lights etc.
    Security lights front and rear and alarm system / smoke alarms
    Originally posted by dimbo61
    I'd up that I have three double sockets in my room and I still need an extension plug.

Bedside table light
    Tablet
    Phone
    Radio alarm clock
    Garmin charger

So that is 5 things on just my side of the bed.

Add in a hair dryer/straightens etc you need more than 3 double sockets, in your bedroom add in TV, dvd player etc.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 7th Dec 17, 4:26 PM
    • 7,608 Posts
    • 8,152 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    I've just put 7 in the small bedroom, and a couple more wouldn't have gone amiss.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 7th Dec 17, 4:31 PM
    • 18,777 Posts
    • 14,486 Thanks
    agrinnall
    I've just mentally counted up and I have 24 sockets in my fairly small living room! There are actually 3 double sockets in the walls, but from 3 of them I have 4 gang extensions and from a fourth I have a 10 socket tower.
    • aneary
    • By aneary 7th Dec 17, 4:44 PM
    • 817 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    aneary
    Also ignore this.

I need 4 sockets for my TV
    The TV
    The Blu-ray player
    The Sound box
    The cable box

I also have my router next to the TV and a phone so I need 6 sockets behind my TV.
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 7th Dec 17, 5:19 PM
    • 4,488 Posts
    • 1,650 Thanks
    knightstyle
    1. Make the consumer unit easy to get at, not buried in an under stairs dark hole.
    2. Put an extra switch upstairs to turn the downstairs hall light on and off.
    3. Outside lights switched from indoors.
    4. Obviously plan the sockets, some with usb chargers built in.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 7th Dec 17, 5:34 PM
    • 2,227 Posts
    • 3,153 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    You can replace a 'normal' single and double (ie 1 and 2 gang) sockets for ones with USB sockets built in yourself - fill yer boots with the different flavours available at screwfix, here
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 7th Dec 17, 7:09 PM
    • 7,679 Posts
    • 8,291 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Hello,
    We are going to get a rewire done on a house we have just brought and I'm wandering if anyone wished that they had got something else done during their rewire? For example, more plug sockets.
    This will be the first place we have brought and don't have to move immediately so want to get this done before we move in. One thing I'm thinking of is an outside socket/terminal on it's own fuse box loop (I need to learn the terminology).
    Thanks all!
    Originally posted by EddS
    The problem with doing it before you move in is, there will be places you only discover later needed one.

Do you have the ability to spend a day or two there really looking around? And if you have any hesitation if you need one in a place, teh answer is "yes".

I'm not convinced by the need for Ethernet cabling, old tech and can easily be substituted for the one or two places you may find you need it later by powerline technology.
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 7th Dec 17, 7:14 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 530 Thanks
    Slithery
    Powerline adapters are nowhere near as good as CAT6 cabling, which isn't 'old technology' - The standard was only ratified in 2009.

This from someone who has multiple 10Gb/s devices on my home network
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

384Posts Today

2,932Users online

Martin's Twitter